Search for content in message boards

African American Newspapers

African American Newspapers

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 4:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am just starting to key some of these records.
My first page has no identification at the top or bottom of the page so I will skip that and hope the arbitrator can put it together.
My question: My page starts with a continuation from a previous page --no artcle name or title-- it appears to be part of a short story or dramatzation. There are only a few first names in the story. What do I do with this?

Re: African American Newspapers

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 6:00PM GMT
You are correct to omit the header when it isn't present in the article.

Key all names found.

Re: African American Newspapers -- location help needed

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 7:53PM GMT
I have a mutiny reported on a slave ship (with names)- is the location the ship name or do I leave it blank?

Re: African American Newspapers -- location help needed

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 8:41PM GMT
A good question to which I don't have an official answer. My 2¢ is that a ship would qualify as a location. I can't guarantee results on review.

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 8:11PM GMT
There have been several people who have had articles that look like stories. We just can't tell so we have to index them as though they refer to real events and people.

In Newspapers a lot of the genuine articles are fiction anyway!

If there are only first names then I do not index these but do index if there is only a last name.

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 11:27PM GMT
Whilst I don't recollect an official ruling, the general opinion in other projects is that ships do count as locations, prefixed by "The", e.g. "The Mermaid", if that's how she's named in the article. I wonder, however, if the name should be omitted if the ship is in port, as then it's like a building name or street address which we don't key.

I agree we have to key fictional names, but I've been omitting people from ancient history that no one's going to be related to, e.g. Socrates. How far back do we go?

Posted: 18 Apr 2011 12:43AM GMT
I had one from 1860 (an editorial that went for two or three columns) that referred to "Dred" and "Cassy" and "Stedman" and "Uncle Tom". I had read that we should index all names, so I did. Not sure if that was correct now. Not even sure if Stedman is a first or last name. :)

Posted: 27 Apr 2011 5:11AM GMT
I have many entries where the people are traveling to and from other cities and states to visit family and friends. Is the LOCATION of the event the place they are traveling to or where they just returned from or is this not considered an event and I leave the location blank?

Posted: 27 Apr 2011 4:42PM GMT
The records I have keyed usually have two location columns: one for where the event occurred and one for the home of the person being named. I try to figure this out and leave blank if there is no way of knowing.

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 1:07AM GMT
ditto to kate88books' response
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions