Search for content in message boards

West family

West family

Posted: 13 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jul 2002 10:42PM GMT
Surnames: West, Neil, Huggard

I am seeking information about a William West of Anglont, Killorglin, County Kerry, the son of John West, described as "of Annafort", and his wife Jane Neil, born circa 1831 - died 1904, the daughter of John Neil of Kilfinane, Kiltallagh, who were married in 1850.

I also seek information about the family of their son-in-law, John Martin Huggard of Waterville who married their daughter Ellen West in 1881

Any information about their antecedents, or general information about their families and family origins would be appreciated.

Re: West family

Posted: 28 Feb 2003 12:59AM GMT
Edited: 27 May 2003 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: West, Barclay, Steelman, Travis
Mr. Addie,

I am also looking for information regarding William R. West, b. January 22, 1852, from Co. Kerry, Ireland. My great-uncle has his bible stating that he and 1 or 2 brothers emigrated to the US sometime in the 1870's. He married my g/g/grandmother, Mollie Lewis , in 1877 in Emporia, KS. they lived for awhile in Cherokee, KS before moving down to Sapulpa, OK. They had several children: Dora Ellen, Mont Vernon (my g/grandfather), Augusta May, John Culberson, Jennie Dott, William Edwin, Van Porter, and I think 1 or 2 more that died in infancy. William R. died , 12/21/1914 and is buried in the old Sapulpa cemetery. I was able to locate his grave about 2 years ago and it states that he came from Ireland. Mollie died December 18, 1929 and is buried beside him, she doesn't have a stone. I have been to Ireland trying to discover William's family and hometown and the only family that seems to mesh is the William West that married into the Neil family in 1850. Do any of my West's seem familiar to you? I would love to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Nedra West-Burton

Posted: 13 Mar 2008 9:25AM GMT
I just saw your query even though its an old one. The West family have been in Anglont Co Kerry for a long time. A John, Joseph and a William all appear in Griffiths Valuations in 1851 as having land in Anglont. Anglont is a townland near Killorglin and Milltown Co Kerry.
In the 1901 census there is a William West there. I know this because my greatgrandfather Walter Eagar was living on his land.
There are still Wests living there today.
On the 11th Dec 1850 a William West married a Jane Neill which is probably the one appearing in Griffiths.

Posted: 13 Mar 2008 10:21AM GMT
I recently checked the Caherciveen baptisms in the National library. There was one Huggard baptism. The strange thing was it was a catholic baptism, the record stated "Parentis Protestantus" Protestant Parents.

I know that there is both a catholic & protestant branch of the Huggard family.

I suppose that you know that the Butler Arms Hotel is owned by the Huggard family.

http://www.butlerarms.com/

Brendan

Posted: 17 Mar 2008 3:53AM GMT
Thank you so much, this is the most information that I have received regarding my West ancestors. All I knew is they came from Co. Kerry and all my query's were a dead end.

Do you knoww any of the West's there?

Thanks again,
Nedra

Posted: 10 May 2008 8:26AM GMT
Surnames: O'Neill Huggard MacGolrick West
A gt gt grandfatherWilliam William O'Neill md an Ellen West in Cromane Kerry. They had 8 children James m Annie Huggard left for Ontario with six siblings and J Wm m Jane McGolrick left for Uk. This might be the same family. they are all from Killorglin Kerry .......

Re: West family of Anglont, Killorglin, County Kerry

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 2:02AM GMT
Surnames: West Anglont Killorglin.
My mother was Ellen West, daughter of William West and his wife Annie Talbot of Anglont, Killorglin. William West died around 1945 before I was born in 1951.The farm was inherited by William's son Jack was my much loved uncle. Anglont is now run by Jack's son Leslie and his son Trevor.William and Annie had a large family comprising two sons Jack and Willie Noel and quite a few daughters. The daughters included Mrs Abraham Huggard of the Bay View Hotel, Waterville, Mrs Ethel Thorne of Murroo, County Limerick, Mrs Millie Huggard of Bray, County Wicklow, Mrs May Fryday of Dundrum, County Tipperary, Mrs Ellen Giles of Tralee,Mrs Betty Parkinson of Kilflynn, County Kerry, Mrs Madge Connolly of Edmonton, Alberta and Mrs Rose Connolly of Bray, County Wicklow. I had at least 26 first cousins. The name William West was used by several generations.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 3:46PM GMT
Since you are connected with the West family of Anglont, I wonder if I could ask you something. My great grandfather Walter Eagar lived in Anglont from about 1875 to about 1915 when his wife died there. My grandfather was born there. In the census of 1901 and 1911, it shows that he lived on the land owned by William West. He was, I think, an agricultural labourer and probably worked for the West family. I wonder do you know if any of the old labourers cottages still exist, as I have never seen where my grandfather was born. Thank you. J Egar

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 7:52PM GMT
I don't know for certain but I imagine that the cottage in question would have been a typical whitewashed thatched building, most of which had disappeared by the 1960s. In that context, I do not believe that it would still exist save perhaps as a ruin. If you consult Griffiths Valuation on the askaboutireland website and look at the maps there and then try and follow the same on google earth street view, you might be able to find the site if nothing else. Sorry that I cannot be of any more help here.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 9:04AM GMT
Thank you so much for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic