Search for content in message boards

Violet, maiden name unknown, Johannes

Violet, maiden name unknown, Johannes

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 10:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johannes, Dittenber
My father, Alex Johannes was married to a Canadian woman named Violet. She was born about 1907, immigrated to the US in 1928.
He spent time in the Sarnia, Ontario, area, playing hockey and football on an Imperial Oil team, while living and working in Detroit. I am hoping she may have come from this area. I am hoping to find out more about Violet and her family.

Alex Johannes and Violet Johannes are found in the 1930 US census living in Highland Park, Michigan, although they subsequently divorced and he married my mother in approximately 1936.

The most recent information I have was that Violet attended the funeral of her former sister-in-law, Olga (Johannes) Dittenber in Detroit around Dec 30, 1959.

Re: Violet, maiden name unknown, Johannes

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 3:27AM GMT
Could this be the right one.

Jim

Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928
about A H Johannes Name: A H Johannes
Birth Place: Hamburg
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Father Name: Fred Johannes
Mother Name: Elizabeth Trussler
Spouse Name: Miss Miss Violet Slumske
Spouse's Age: 23
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1896
Spouse Birth Place: Bloomingdale
Spouse Father Name: Christian Slomske
Spouse Mother Name: Louisa Mehnke
Marriage Date: 18 Mar 1919
Marriage County or District: Waterloo

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 6:31PM GMT
Thanks for the post Jim, but not the Violet I was looking for. How can there be so many Violets and nary a one that fits the bill?
Thanks again, Pete

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 9:31PM GMT
Hello,

Do you have any idea at what time period he played for the
Sarnia Imperials? Maybe you could track down descendants of
former team members. My uncle played on that team 1947 - 1950.

Regards, SueDee

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 10:22PM GMT
Hi Pete,

There should be some border crossing records.

Do you know if they were married in Michigan or Ontario?

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 10:42PM GMT
Thanks SueDee,
I'm thinking that he played in the late 20s to very early 30s, but he never mentioned playing in any Grey Cup or even championship games. I couldn't find anything about him on any of the team rosters that are on the Imps web site.
I'm searching the Sarnia area, because I think his wife may have originally come from that area.
I appreciate your help, though.
Pete

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 10:49PM GMT
I'm probably not a very good researcher, but I'm learning my way into this system.
So far, I've tried marriage records near Sarnia (Lambton area), Detroit,Michigan area where he worked, and the area around Au Gres, Mich where he grew up. I also tried to search for all the Violets who came through Port Huron and Detroit b abt 1907 and arriving 1928, think I searched about 130 Violets.
I havent been able to find any divorce records yet, but I may have to hit some courthouses.
Pete

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 11:03PM GMT
Did you try news paper sports pages from that era? I know
the Imps info can be sketchy at times. Try a search for one of the players from that time. Good luck.
SueDee

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 5:36PM GMT
In regard to your comment about the number of woman named Violet. I have a Great-Aunt Violet who resided in that area
of Ontario close to that time period. It may be that many of the people missed their English gardens and so used floral
names for their baby girls.
Much luck od your serach.
Regards,
SueDee

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: Johannes, Dittenber
Thank You, SueDee
Its beginning to look like I may have to make a road trip to that area to look into local marriage and divorce records.
From the information I have, they were married around 1928 when she immigrated to the US, and in a church ceremony. That being said, it was probably in or near her home town.
I have no information about when or where they may have divorced, or who filed for divorce, but I know my father remarried in about 1936 or 1937.
I'm going to try to research local courthouses, where Alex grew up, as it is nearest to where I live. then travel further, and to more metropolitan areas as I need. The Sarnia area being a bit smaller than the Detroit area.
I hope all is well with you, and you have wonderful Holidays.
Pete Johannes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic