Search for content in message boards

Early Schools in Champaign County, Wayne Township - Mingo Village

Early Schools in Champaign County, Wayne Township - Mingo Village

Robert B Enloe (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2003 3:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thomas, Gray, Gutridge
Isaiah Thomas, my gg-grandfather, was born September 25, 1826 in Champaign County, Ohio. Isaiah's grandfather was John Thomas, one of the original settlers of the Mingo Village area, who brought his family from PA to the Mingo Valley in March of 1806.
Based on old family documents, letters, and the Isaiah Thomas family bible, it is obvious that Isaiah is connected to his grandfather John Thomas, but it is not clear who Isaiah's father was. His father could have been either Ross Thomas or Richard Thomas, who was Ross's brother.
Richard Thomas married Hannah Gray about 1814, and Hannah died in 1829 after bearing 8 children. Richard, being distraught over her death, gave away all his children to relatives and disappeared.
Several of these children were placed with Hannah's sister, Mary Gray, who was the wife of Aaron Gutridge. Mary, known to many as Aunt Mary, never had children of her own. She became some what famous in her later years as the oldest surviving settler of Champaign County and she had many vivid recollections of the early years which were published in local news papers.
Isaiah Thomas moved from Champaign County to Van Buren County, Iowa some time in the 1840's. He became a farmer, married, started a family, and moved on to Somoma County, California, where he became a very succesful. In letters to his relatives, he mentions "Aunt Mary"; and in letters written by Aunt Mary, she mentions Isaiah Thomas from California who sent her money from time to time to help with her support. This lends weight to the idea that Isaiah could have been one of Richard Thomas's children, who were raised by Aaron & Mary Gray Gutridge.

My question - does any one have knowledge of the schools in the Mingo Valley in the time period of 1830-1840 and if so, are there any records of the students attending? If so, perhaps there may be some record of Isaiah that will help solve this mystery.

Re: Early Schools in Champaign County, Wayne Township - Mingo Village

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 8:36PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2004 12:05AM GMT
according to my grandfather and also illinois newspapers , ross {rees} thomas married ELISABETH GRAY

william O thomas was definitely my gggrandfather but its not sure who his father was.

the 1850 census has william living with John sr, not ross. W.O. was born about 1826

kthomas

Robert B. Enloe (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2004 6:41PM GMT
Hello Ken,
Sounds like we are definitely cousins. Too bad there is still so much unknown about our early Thomas ancestors.
I note that there was a son, aged 15-20, living with Ross Thomas in the 1840 census. Perhaps this was your William Thomas, but it wouldn't explain why he was living with his grandfather John 10 years later. In 1850 Ross Jr. had already moved to Van Buren County, Iowa as he shows in the 1848 census there, along with my g-g-grandfather Isaiah Thomas.
At this time, I am pretty much convinced that Isaiah was a son of Richard Thomas. No absolute proof, just rather oblique references in some old letters.
If you have an interest, most of my information on the Thomas & Gray families is posted on the following FTM web site:

Robert B Enloe (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2004 6:55PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Gray, Gutridge
Apparently this site doesn't accept another web site address, if you have an interest in information on these Thomas & Gray ancestors email me and I will give you my FTM web site address.

ken thomas (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2004 12:49AM GMT
i dont know what an ftm site is but my computer automatically handles most things like that and i'd be most interested
my father (richard) has some of William o thomas' tools etc.
my grandfather (joseph) was the unofficial family historian till he died in 1973. Ill post a news blurb here from 19th century that mentions Ross. My grandfather was adamant that Ross was not williams father. Also, there were vague tales about a family of young children being distributed to relatives.
there was a family bible from 17th century and a surveying instrument of a john thomas but i last saw them
40+ years ago.
My wife
and I plan a trip to Ohio next summer to try to finally get it all straightened out and credible.
ken thomas
ken thomas (hanover park, illinois)

ken thomas (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2004 12:57AM GMT
http://macomb.com

This was built upon what is now the public park, by Fred Burt, in 1868, and the following year was burned to the ground. Mr. Burt immediately rebuilt it, and operated it until 1874, when it was purchased by W. O. Thomas. Up to this time the machinery was of a very inferior quality, and he immediately put in new and improved kinds. The building was 32x80 feet on the ground. Mr. Thomas continued to run this until March, 1885, when, to make room for the improvements in the park, he removed to its present location, near the gasworks. The building was in two parts: one 32x48 feet in size, built of wood, and one 32x32 feet, of brick. The latter is used as the engine room, and is 16 feet high. This is said to be the only mill of the kind in the county, and the only one between Galesburg and Quincy.

William O. Thomas, proprietor of the planing mill, at Macomb, was born in Urbana, Champaign county, Ohio, October 26, 1828, and is a son of Ross and Elizabeth (Gray) Thomas, the former of Welsh, and the latter of English origin. Both died in Ohio, where William lived until 1855. He was brought up on a farm, and at the age of 16 years, began learning the carpenter’s trade, which he followed in that state until the above date, when he came to McDonough county. After coming here he continued to follow his trade, building many of the principal buildings in the city of Macomb. In 1875 he went to Knoxville, and there built the Swedish college and a public school building. He is still engaged in contracting and building. He is a first-class workman, and a thoroughly honest and reliable contractor. Mr. Thomas was married in Ohio, August 10, 1851, to Elizabeth Doak, a native of Ohio. They have six children – John A., who is now living in Chicago, Illinois; Arabella, wife of B. F. Frank, of Chicago; William B., living in Kansas; Eva, who is engaged in teaching music in Chicago; Beryl and Charles, at home with their parents.

Posted: 7 Dec 2009 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Johnson
Hello

I was curious to whether or not the Thomas family you talk about is any relation to Ivan B. Thomas who was the son of Col. John Thomas and Mary Johnson. Do you know of any relation between the families? I am from Champaign Co.

Thanks
Lori

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 1:14AM GMT
just in the last few weeks i learned that IVAN owned a lot of land in florida and he appears to relate to a lot of thomases that spread through the south to texas. IVAN was eventually shortened to IVEY then IVY. one notable member of that clan was ernest ivy "boots" thomas who can be googled; he raised the first flag on iwo jima in WW2. the genealogy can be followed back from there. they are related to the other champaign county thomases. since last post my direct line (by DNA) has been shown to go back to william thomas of massachusetts. also, my missing gggfather is john d thomas, first cousin of ROSS THOMAS AND ALSO FIRST COUSIN of francis thomas of the back-creek, va. thomases who also lived in xenia and urbana ohio and was brother of arthur and john thomas of champaign co. there were a bunch of brothers who lived all over pa., va., oh. and most of them married sisters named hanes,haynes, haines
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions