Search for content in message boards

One Room Schools

One Room Schools

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 8:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
According to a Teacher's Survey by the 1927 Culture Center on local history there were several One Room Schools in Mason County. My sister is in the process of creating a Mountain Flower community library and she would appreciate any information on the One Room Schools in the county...especially copies of photographs, names of teachers who may have taught. email clickalice@gmail.com

Schools: Three Mile, Greene, Smoky Mountain, Monroe, Bird, White Pine, College Hill, Verndale, Pine Grove, Dunlavy, McCausland, Hartzell, Hazel Valley, Hambrick, Pleasant Dale, Isaac Fadeley, South Side Star, Henderson, Pine Grove, Fairview, Wyoma, Fadeley, Crab Creek, Mulberry, Mud Run, Millstone, Buckle, Shady Hill, Woods, Jerry's Run, Salt Creek, Mount Union, Beale, Bateman, Plain View, Mountain Rose, White Hall, Stevens, Morning Star, Maywood, Myrtle, Pleasant Ridge, Fife Fork, Sizemore, Lock Eleven, Valley Ridge, Leon, Hill, Wood, Yauger, Huff Run, Bug Run, Mountain Flower, Franklin Hall, Roanoke, Rocky, Forked Pine, Red Mud, Hopedale, Letart, Board, Flat Rock, Rayburn, Union, Eight Mile, Ambrosia, Plain Valley, Gill, Thomas, Eagle, Oak Grove, Excelsior, Green, Bear Wallow, Howell, Harmony, Bachtel, Graham, Beach Grove, Upper Flatts, Union, Broad Run, Vernon, Little Forest, New Haven, Graham District High, Sunnyside, Mount Olive, Glenwood, Rocky Fork, Eighteen Valley, Beech Grove, Town Hall, White Oak Grove, Mason Valley, Daisy, Oak Hill, Starkey, Mount Pleasant, St. Joe, Mount Flower, Champion Rose, Burning Flat, Hannan District High, Guyan, Heights, Hickory Chapel, Harmony, Miller, Gibbs, Point Pleasant High, Sebrell, Beech Grove, Morning Star, Clay Lick, Mission Ridge, Mammoth, Dixie, Midway, Fairview, Forest Hill, Cloverdale, Yeager, McDermitt, Big Spruce, Rockcastle, Rising Sun, Elmwood, Arbuckle, Grant, Locust Grove, Morning Star, Lone Cedar, Calispell, Crown Point, Union, Warner, Waterloo, Valley City, Clifton, West Columbia, Spilman, Locust Grove, Fairview, Mason Independent, Hartford Independent, Wahama High. There may have been others...

Re: One Room Schools

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 4:04PM GMT
Perhaps the following will help with your research. Good luck with your project!

There are a few pictures of Mason County Schools at the Cultural Center.

http://www.wvculture.org/history/education/images/mason/maso...

"""""""""""""""""
Also Milton Burdette did some work in this area, in 1949 perhaps it would help. Google Books list Mr Burdette's thesis but does not list an online location for viewing or buying:

Title A Study of Location of Schools in Mason County, West Virginia and Recommendations for Their Relocation
Author Milton Burdette
Publisher Ohio University, February, 1949
Length 132 pages
Subjects School sites

http://books.google.com/books?id=jB5jOAAACAAJ&dq=Mason+C...

"""""""""""""""""
According to WorldCat.Org it would only be available at Ohio University:

A study of location of schools in Mason County, West Virginia and recommendations for their relocation
Author: Milton Burdette
Dissertation: Thesis (M.E.)--Ohio University, February, 1949.
Ohio University
Alden Library
30 Park Place | Athens, OH 45701 | (740) 593-2699

http://www.worldcat.org/title/study-of-location-of-schools-i...
""""""""""""""""
Also listed on WorldCat.Org about Mason County One-room Schools
Filling a need : administrative practices in Mason County WV one-room schools from 1935-1950
Author: Douglas A Sturgeon
Publisher: Huntington, WV : [Marshall University Libraries], 2002.
Dissertation: Thesis (Ed. D.)--Marshall University, 2002.

1. West Virginia University Libraries
Morgantown, WV 26506 United States

2. Marshall University
John Deaver Drinko Library
Huntington, WV 25755 United States

http://www.worldcat.org/title/filling-a-need-administrative-...

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: Bailes/Bails, Tucker, Tillis, Van Bibber, Greenlee, Craig, Casto, Pontsler, Gerow, Marrone,Higginbotham
I have a couple of photo's of one room School houses in Mason county (one of which my brother and I attended)I am in the photo along with my brother and a lot of cousins :0)
It could be Leon or Arbuckle. The town was called Grimmslanding when I was born in 1945. It is now Leon...I don't believe the school is still standing. The other photo was given to me by a Tillis cousin who has passed on and she nor I know where it was taken or who is in it.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 4:10AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. My sister is compiling more history on Jackson and Mason County. Her email is clickalice@gmail.com. Thank you again.

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 7:53PM GMT
Are you and your sister on facebook? I have several photo's in there that you guys might like to have including the school photo taken out on the hill with my brother and myself alone with a whole lot of cousins ..... Tucker's, Bailes', Craig's, Higginbotham's, Casto's, Rhodes' and I am not sure of the other names only that they are cousins...Ask me to become a friend and I will accept and you can take whichever photo's you might need .....Barbara Bailes Mills ( barbaramills2@comcast.net )

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 1:21AM GMT
We have emailed you. Thanks so kindly for replying.

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 1:45AM GMT
Thank you for kindly sending the information. This has been very helpful.

Posted: 28 May 2013 7:04PM GMT
My grandmother, Faye Fisher, went to Valley Ridge School on 7 mile off of Jerry's Run Rd. in Apple Grove.......I am a teacher in Mason Co. and was just looking up info. for an Appalachian unit and came across your post.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions