Search for content in message boards

Adams: Kentucky

Adams: Kentucky

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 3:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Adams: Kentucky, help me find Della, she had 10 or more children: Susie, Fay, Don, Bill, Bob, Joe, Cora thanks

Re: Adams: Kentucky

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 3:59AM GMT
You need to give a bit more information...dates of birth would be helpful..

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 4:25AM GMT
I am embarrassed at how little I know about my family: Della was married to Mr. Adams, they had about 10 children one of which was my father who is currently still alive at age 74. His mother Della Adams ( I believe her maiden name was Alexander) died about 1970? She was married to Nelson Adams who also died about the same time?.... Rumors are the Alexander's had indian blood....I have no rumors of the Adams history at all

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 6:35AM GMT
Don't be embarrassed. We all start somewhere.

So, if your father is living, age 74, he was born ca 1937. Was he born in Magoffin County? (I ask because the query was posted to the Magoffin County list.) That means his mother was born about 1915, give or take 5 years or so. If your father has siblings are older than he, Della and Nelson Adams may be listed in the 1930 census. That would give you a bit more info to check on.

Many of the Adams families who live in Magoffin County trace their line back to William "Uncle Billy" Adams who founded the community that became Salyersville. There are lots of other Adams lines in Eastern KY as well, including four in my family which do not connect...

1920 U S Federal Census, Kentucky, Lee County, Fincastle Precinct
ADAMS, Nelson, head, W, M, 21, KY, KY, KY, Laborer in oil field
Dela, wife, W, F, 17, KY, KY, KY
Cora E, daughter, F, W, 3/12, KY, KY, KY

A NELSON ADAMS registered for draft for WWI, Sept. 14, 1918, at Campton, Wolfe Co., KY gives occupation as working in oil fields, date of birth as July 23, 1898, and nearest relative as William Adams of Torrent, Wolfe Co., KY.

William Adams (b. Feb. 1854 in KY) and wife Mary (b. Dec. 1862 in KY) have a son Nelson living at home in Torrent, Wolfe Co., KY in 1900, 1910. The 1900 census shows that William was widowed by first wife and married Mary _____SPENCER, a widow with two daughters ca 1897. Nelson is the child of William and Mary

If this happens to be the parents of your Nelson Adams, then he appears to descend from John Hobbs Adams Jr….and I can provide info on him.

Della may be the daughter of Robert and Maud Alexander, who had been married 9 years in 1910 and had a daughter Della, age 8. This family lived in Campton, Wolfe Co., KY.

Of course, all of this is built around the information you gave plus the 1920 census. If the 1920 census is NOT your grandparents, then the above would not be correct.

Ask your father where they lived; where his mother died; where he was born, etc. You might want to check his birth certificate which would provide some of this.

Hopefully this will give you some leads…

My maiden name is Adams, so I keep an eye out for the various Adams lines in Eastern Kentucky.
Frankie

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 6:44AM GMT
wow, if even one thing is accurate, I will be insanely happy...it's so very hard to track down this line of family. I know my poor father had to live with a relative as a tenant farmer... his mother had one arm, and they came from Kentucky...that's it! I did however find on familysearch.org a document that lists my grandfathers name as James.....NOT Nelson... so, I had that wrong .sorry i bothered you sir...
hugs
Kim Adams (Jones)

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 4:06PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2011 4:31PM GMT
Kim,
You need to start by looking at your father's birth certificate, or his application for a Social Security Card. These will list his parents, his birthplace, and more.

Ask him or one of your aunts/uncles for the approximate birthdates, places of birth, places they lived.

If you are not a member of Ancestry, try a free membership and search there. Finding information on censuses, birth and death records will help you discover your ancestry.

To proceed blindly without any definite names, dates or places can send you down the wrong trail.

For example, there is, in Ashland, Boyd Co., KY, a family of a James Adams, b. ca 1898, b. KY, married ca 1919, unemployed; with wife Della, b. ca 1902, b. KY, married ca 1919 (age 17), children Cora E, b. ca 1920 in KY, Gertrude b. ca 1923 in KY; Thelma b. ca 1925 in OH, James b. ca 1927 in OH, Betty b. ca 1928 in OH. The parents and daughter Cora E, match the Fincastle, Lee County, KY record. So it is possible, for example, that your grandfather's name was "James Nelson Adams"

A birth record for Cora E Adams gives her d.o.b. as 9 Sep 1919 in Wolfe Co., KY and mother's name as Della Alexander, which MAY mean the earlier info was on this same family.

I could ntt find a birth record for Gertrude,so that may be her middle name.

Frankie

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 4:25PM GMT
thanks!! I appreciate your help .....I did join and have membership...I begin again today with a 1930 census report and will find the birth records here as well...
have a great day sir
Kim Adams

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 5:14PM GMT
I don't know anything about indian heritage but I do have some Adams info. Hope this helps a little.
Norma

Descendants of William Adams

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM5 ADAMS (JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born 01 Feb 1854 in Letcher Co., Ky., and died 24 Jun 1924 in Wolfe Co. Ky.. He married (1) MARY CARROLL. He married (2) MARY ELIZABETH SPENCER Abt. 1896. She was born Abt. 1860 in Kentucky, and died 20 Jul 1946 in Dayton, Ohio.

Notes for WILLIAM ADAMS:

1880 CENSUS:
Wolfe Co., Pct. 4
#56/56
William Adams, 24, KyKyKy
Mary E., 20 KyKyKy
Jackson 02
Edward W. 3/12 b. Mar.

1900 Wolfe Co. Kentucky - Torrent - Dist. 95
#??
William Adams, head, b. Feb. 1854, age 46, m.3 yrs, KyKyKy, farmer
Mary E., wife, b. Dec. 1862, age 37, m. 3yrs, 3 ch 3 liv, KyKyKy
Edward, son, b. Apr. 1881, age 19, single, KyKyKy, teamster
Henry, son, b. Dec. 1885, age 14, KyKyKy, at school
John D., son, b. July 1887, age 12, KyKyKy, at school
Robert E., son, b. Mar. 1891, age 9, KyKyKy, at school
Bessie M., dau, b. May 1893, age 07, KyKyKy, at school
Mollie C., dau., b. Apr. 1896, age 04, KyKyKy
Nelson, son, b. July 1898, age 01, KyKyKy<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Amie Spencer, step=dau., b. May 1889,age 11, KyKyKy at school
Rosa B., step-dau., b. July 1893,age 06, KyKyKy, at school

1910 Kentucky - Wolfe - Torrent
William Adams, Sr, head, age 56, widowed, KyKyKy, farmer
Bessie, dau, age 17, KyKyKy
Mollie, dau, age 14, KyKyKy
Nelson, son, age 11

More About WILLIAM ADAMS:
Burial: Adams Cemetery, Wolfe Co., Ky.

More About WILLIAM ADAMS and MARY SPENCER:
Marriage: Abt. 1896

Children of WILLIAM ADAMS and MARY SPENCER are:
2. i. JOSEPH JACKSON6 ADAMS, b. Mar 1878, Wolfe Co. Ky.; d. 27 Mar 1946, Campton, Ky..
3. ii. EDWARD ADAMS, b. Mar 1880, Wolfe Co. Ky..
iii. HENRY ADAMS, b. Dec 1885.
iv. JOHN D. ADAMS, b. Abt. 1888.
v. ROBERT E. ADAMS, b. 31 Mar 1890, Wolfe Co., Ky.; d. 31 Oct 1918, Wolfe Co., Ky..

Notes for ROBERT E. ADAMS:
Name: Robert E Adams
Death Date: 31 Oct 1918
Death Location: Wolfe
Residence Location: Wolfe
Ethnicity: White
Birth Date: 31 Mar 1890
Birth Location: Wolfe, Kentucky
Father's Name: Wm Adams
Father's Birth Location: Letcher, Kentucky
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Spencer
Mother's Birth Location: Wolfe, Kentucky

4. vi. BESSIE M. ADAMS, b. May 1893, Wolfe Co., Ky.; d. Jul 1982, San Diego, California.
vii. MOLLIE C. ADAMS, b. Apr 1897.
5. viii. NELSON ADAMS, b. Jul 1898, Wolfe Co. Ky..

Generation No. 2

2. JOSEPH JACKSON6 ADAMS (WILLIAM5, JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born Mar 1878 in Wolfe Co. Ky., and died 27 Mar 1946 in Campton, Ky.. He married CATHERINE HOBBS 21 Mar 1896 in Wolfe Co. Kentucky. She was born Jul 1873 in Wolfe Co. Ky., and died 20 Jul 1946 in Dayton, Ohio.

Notes for JOSEPH JACKSON ADAMS:
WOLFE COUNTY NEWS, APRIL 1946

PINE RIDGE MAN DIED ON MARCH 27

Mr. J.J. Adams, better known as Jack, departed this life March, 27, 1946 at his home at Pine Ridge at the age of 68 years, after an illness of several months, although he had been in poor health for several years. He was married to Catherine Hobbs, March 21, 1896 and they had celebrated their golden wedding anniversary but one week before his death. To this union were born ten children, nine of whom are still lving: Henry Shefton and Luther Adams, Ora Hobbs, Sarah Hollon, Bethel Ballard, Janice Plummer, Thelma Childers, and Melda Jewell, George the oldest son, preceded his father in death about thirteen years. He is also survived by four sisters, Laura Booth, and Nora Allen of Campton, Bessie Carroll and Molly Dietrich of Michigan and two brothers, Henry, of California and Nelson Adams of Lexington and fifteen grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends. Rev. Ira Dunn and J.F. Powell conducted the funeral services at the home. Internment was in the Adams cem!
etery at Pine Ridge.

1920 Wolfe Co. Census- Torrent Pct.
#9/10
Jackson ADAMS, 40, KyKyKy, farmer
Catherine, wife, 45, KyVaKy
Milda, dau, 14
Ora, son, 12
Shefton, son, 09
Henry, son, 06 - b. 2/2/1913 - KBI
Thelma, dau, 3-6/12 - b. 6/19/1916 - KBI
Janis,dau, 1-2/12, - b. 11/28/1918

DEATH CERTIFICATE
Name: Joseph Jackson Adams
Death Date: 27 Mar 1946
Death Location: Wolfe
Residence Location: Wolfe
Ethnicity: White
Birth Date: 29 Mar 1878
Birth Location: Wolfe
Spouse's Name: Katheine Adams
Spouse's Age: 72
Father's Name: William Adams
Father's Birth Location: Knott
Mother's Name: Martha Frances (actually reads Martha Spencer)
Mother's Birth Location: Wolfe

Notes for CATHERINE HOBBS:
Wolfe County News, July 26, 1946

MRS. JACK ADAMS VICTIM OF STROKE

Mrs. Jack Adams, 67 died as a result of a stroke, Saturday, July 20, while visiting among her married children in Dayton, Ohio.

Mrs. Adams is survived by three sons, Mr. Henry and Shefton A. Adams of Campton and Mr. Luther Adams of Dayton. Six daughters, Mrs. Burnham Hollon and Mrs. Paul Hobbs of Pine Ridge, Mrs. Charles Ballard of Campton, Mrs. Dallas Plummer, Mrs. Melba Jewell and Mrs. Ted Childers all of Dayton, and fifteen grandchildren.

Funeral services were conducted in the home of Mrs. Burnham Hollon, Pine Ridge, Tuesday, July 23. Mr. John H. Powell and Mrs. Ira Dunn conducted these services. She was buried at the Campton cemetery.

Her many friends wish to extend their sympathy to the beraved members of her family.

More About JOSEPH ADAMS and CATHERINE HOBBS:
Marriage: 21 Mar 1896, Wolfe Co. Kentucky

Children of JOSEPH ADAMS and CATHERINE HOBBS are:
i. GEORGE7 ADAMS, b. Feb 1897; d. Abt. 1933, Wolfe Co. Ky..
6. ii. SARAH E. ADAMS, b. Oct 1897, Wolfe Co. Ky..
iii. LUTHER ADAMS, b. Abt. 1903.
iv. MELDA ADAMS, b. 1906; m. JEWELL.
v. ORA ADAMS, b. Abt. 1908; m. PAUL HOBBS.
vi. SHEFTON ADAMS, b. Abt. 1911.
vii. HENRY ADAMS, b. 02 Feb 1913; m. BONNIE TUTT, 23 Dec 1938, Campton, Ky.; b. Abt. 1915.

Marriage Notes for HENRY ADAMS and BONNIE TUTT:
Source: Wolfe Co. Ky. marriage Records

More About HENRY ADAMS and BONNIE TUTT:
Marriage: 23 Dec 1938, Campton, Ky.

viii. THELMA ADAMS, b. 19 Jun 1916; m. TED CHILDERS.
ix. JANICE ADAMS, b. 28 Nov 1918; m. DALLAS PLUMMER.
x. BETHEL ADAMS, b. Abt. 1923; m. CHARLES BALLARD.

3. EDWARD6 ADAMS (WILLIAM5, JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born Mar 1880 in Wolfe Co. Ky.. He married ROSA BROWN.

Children of EDWARD ADAMS and ROSA BROWN are:
7. i. CLEMMA7 ADAMS, b. 04 Jul 1911, Wolfe Co. Ky.; d. 28 Oct 2006, Middletown, Butler Co., Ohio.
ii. FRANK ADAMS.
iii. OMER ADAMS.
iv. WILLIAM ADAMS.
v. ONA ADAMS.
vi. ELLA ADAMS.
vii. BERTHA ADAMS.
viii. MAGGIE ADAMS.
ix. ORA ADAMS.
x. DORA ADAMS.
xi. MARIE ADAMS.

4. BESSIE M.6 ADAMS (WILLIAM5, JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born May 1893 in Wolfe Co., Ky., and died Jul 1982 in San Diego, California. She married CURTIS LEE CARROLL. He was born 23 Oct 1893 in Kentucky, and died 21 Nov 1963 in Michigan.

Children of BESSIE ADAMS and CURTIS CARROLL are:
i. CURTIS LEE7 CARROLL, JR., b. Abt. 1920, Michigan; d. 1937.
ii. JOHN CARROLL, b. 15 Nov 1921, Michigan; d. 10 Apr 1982, Escondido, Ca..
iii. EDGAR CARROLL, b. 19 Feb 1923, Michigan; d. Jul 1980, Rialto, Ca..

5. NELSON6 ADAMS (WILLIAM5, JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born Jul 1898 in Wolfe Co. Ky.. He married DELLA ALEXANDER, daughter of HENRY ALEXANDER and MAUD CROW. She was born Abt. 1901 in Kentucky.

Notes for NELSON ADAMS:
1920 Kentucky, Lee Co., Fincastle
#137/139
Nelson Adams, Head,age 21, KyKyKy, laborer
Dela, wife, age 17, KyKyKy, laborer
Cora E., dau, age 3/12, KyKyKy

Children of NELSON ADAMS and DELLA ALEXANDER are:
i. BETTY7 ADAMS.
ii. CAROLINE ADAMS.
iii. DONALD RAY ADAMS.
iv. FAYE ADAMS.
v. LAWRENCE GRAY ADAMS.
vi. CORA E. ADAMS, b. 1920.
8. vii. ANNA G. ADAMS, b. 04 Apr 1922, Wolfe Co. Ky.; d. 09 Nov 2005, Richmond, Indiana.

Generation No. 3

6. SARAH E.7 ADAMS (JOSEPH JACKSON6, WILLIAM5, JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born Oct 1897 in Wolfe Co. Ky.. She married JAMES BURNHAM HOLLON Abt. 1921. He was born 1899 in Kentucky.

Notes for JAMES BURNHAM HOLLON:
1930 Wolfe Co. Census
Rogers Pct.
#38/39
James. B. Hollon, head, age 31, KyKyKy, general farm
Sarah E., wife, age 30, KyKyKy
Allene, dau, 07
James B., Jr., 05
Wendell, 02

More About JAMES HOLLON and SARAH ADAMS:
Marriage: Abt. 1921

Children of SARAH ADAMS and JAMES HOLLON are:
9. i. ALLENE8 HOLLON, b. 1923, Wolfe Co. Ky.; d. 09 Sep 2004, Bowling Green, Ky.
ii. JAMES BURNHAM HOLLON, JR., b. 1925.
iii. WENDELL E. HOLLON, b. 1928; m. MARCELLA.

7. CLEMMA7 ADAMS (EDWARD6, WILLIAM5, JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born 04 Jul 1911 in Wolfe Co. Ky., and died 28 Oct 2006 in Middletown, Butler Co., Ohio. She married (1) HURLEY AGEE. He died 1951. She married (2) ESTELL BELL. He died 1978.

Notes for CLEMMA ADAMS:
BELL, Clema (Agee), Age 95, passed away Saturday, October 28, 2006 at Middletown Regional Hospital. She was born July 4, 1911 in Menifee County, Kentucky to Edward and Rosa (Brown) Adams. She was a resident of Middletown for 50 years, member of Towne Blvd. Church of God and a homemaker. She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, Hurley Agee in 1951 and husband, Estell Bell in 1978; sons, Phillip, Kenneth and Gene Agee; brothers, Frank, Omer and Bill Adams; sisters, Ona, Ella, Della, Bertha, Maggie, Ora, Dora, and Marie Adams; son-in-law, Clayton Fultz. Clema is survived by daughter, Opal Fultz of Middletown, Betty Gillis and Wanda Blanchard both of Houston, Texas; son, Michael (Frances) Agee of Middletown; daughter- in-law, Orpha Agee of Middletown; 16 grandchildren and numerous great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren. Visitation will be from 11:00 to 1:00 P.M. on Wednesday, November 1, 2006 at Baker-Stevens Funeral Home with celebration of life services to follow on Wednesday at 1:00 P.M. at the funeral home. Interment will be at Woodside Cemetery. Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of your choice. Family and friends may send condolences to www.baker-stevens.com
Published in The Middletown Journal on 10/30/2006.

Children of CLEMMA ADAMS and HURLEY AGEE are:
i. PHILLIP8 AGEE.
ii. KENNETH AGEE.
iii. GENE AGEE.
iv. OPAL AGEE.
v. BETTY AGEE.
vi. WANDA AGEE.
vii. MICHAEL AGEE.

8. ANNA G.7 ADAMS (NELSON6, WILLIAM5, JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born 04 Apr 1922 in Wolfe Co. Ky., and died 09 Nov 2005 in Richmond, Indiana. She married OPAL B. MCKINNEY. He died 1972.

Notes for ANNA G. ADAMS:
Anna G. Adams McKinney, 83, of Richmond died Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2005, after a long illness.
She was born April 14, 1922, in Campton, Ky., to Nelson and Della Alexander Adams and moved to Richmond from Beattyville, Ky., 25 years ago. Anna was a homemaker.

Survivors include three sons, Darrell R. McKinney of Richmond, Phillip M. McKinney of Williamsburg and Robert J. McKinney of Shoemaker Ridge, Ky.; four daughters, Charlotte Wirz of New Carlisle, Ohio, Betty Taylor of Middletown, Ohio, Carolyn Hill of Lancaster, Ky., and Leatrice McKinney of Richmond; 21 grandchildren and several great-grandchildren; three sisters, Faye Rolph of Blue Ball, Ohio, Betty Collier of Trenton, Ohio, and Carolyn Sue Brock of North Carolina; two brothers, Donny Ray Adams of Maineville, Ohio, and Lawrence Gray of Covington, Ky.; nieces and nephews.

Her husband, Opal B. McKinney, died in 1972. One son, Lanny Dale McKinney; one daughter, Brenda Canerino; and one granddaughter, Amber Ann Strome, are deceased.

Funeral services will be 7 p.m. Friday Nov. 11, 2005, at Stegall-Berheide-Orr Funeral Home with Rev. Kevin Shindoll and Rev. Allen Henderson officiating. Burial will in Eaton Cemetery, Clay City, Ky. Friends may call 4-7 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.

Originally published November 10, 2005

Children of ANNA ADAMS and OPAL MCKINNEY are:
i. DARRELL R.8 MCKINNEY.
ii. PHILIP M. MCKINNEY.
iii. ROBERT J. MCKINNEY.
iv. CHARLOTTE MCKINNEY.
v. BETTY MCKINNEY.
vi. LEATRICE MCKINNEY.
vii. CAROLYN MCKINNEY.

Generation No. 4

9. ALLENE8 HOLLON (SARAH E.7 ADAMS, JOSEPH JACKSON6, WILLIAM5, JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born 1923 in Wolfe Co. Ky., and died 09 Sep 2004 in Bowling Green, Ky. She married RALPH L. LOVELACE.

Notes for ALLENE HOLLON:
Allene H. Lovelace

J.C. Kirby & Son Funeral Home, Lovers Lane chapel
Allene Hollon Lovelace, 82, of Bowling Green died at 3:30 a.m. Sept. 9, 2004, at Jones Family Care Home.

The Pine Ridge native was a housewife, a member of Briarwood Homemakers and a Baptist. She was a daughter of the late James B. Hollon and Sara Adams Hollon. She was preceded in death by a brother, James B. Hollon Jr.

Funeral will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Shackelford Funeral Home in Campton, with burial in Evans Crossing Cemetery. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at J.C. Kirby & Son Funeral Home, Lovers Lane chapel, and will be from noon to 2 p.m. Sunday at Shackelford Funeral Home.

Expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to College Heights Foundation, Western Kentucky University, 1 Big Red Way, Bowling Green, KY 42101-9977.

Survivors include her husband of 63 years, Ralph L. Lovelace; two sons, James E. Lovelace and his wife, Cherry, of Memphis, Tenn., and Kevin L. Lovelace and his wife, Beverly, of Bowling Green; a brother, Wendell E. Hollon and his wife, Marcella, of Dayton, Ohio; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

More About ALLENE HOLLON:
Burial: Evans Cemetery, Wolfe Co., Ky

Children of ALLENE HOLLON and RALPH LOVELACE are:
i. JAMES E.9 LOVELACE.
ii. KEVIN L. LOVELACE.

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 7:06PM GMT
you found my great grandfather for me: I love you this is them !!! 5. NELSON6 ADAMS (WILLIAM5, JOHN D.4, RANDOLPH3, JOHN HOBBS2, JOHN1) was born Jul 1898 in Wolfe Co. Ky.. He married DELLA ALEXANDER, daughter of HENRY ALEXANDER and MAUD CROW. She was born Abt. 1901 in Kentucky.

Notes for NELSON ADAMS:
1920 Kentucky, Lee Co., Fincastle
#137/139
Nelson Adams, Head,age 21, KyKyKy, laborer
Dela, wife, age 17, KyKyKy, laborer
Cora E., dau, age 3/12, KyKyKy

Children of NELSON ADAMS and DELLA ALEXANDER are:
i. BETTY7 ADAMS.
ii. CAROLINE ADAMS.
iii. DONALD RAY ADAMS.
iv. FAYE ADAMS.
v. LAWRENCE GRAY ADAMS.
vi. CORA E. ADAMS, b. 1920.
8. vii. ANNA G. ADAMS, b. 04 Apr 1922, Wolfe Co. Ky.; d. 09 Nov 2005, Richmond, Indiana.
Donald Ray Adams is my daddy...he is now 74 Bless his heart...Thanks so so so much ...

Posted: 18 Apr 2011 2:39PM GMT
You're welcome. I'm happy to help when I can.

Norma
per page

Find a board about a specific topic