Edited: 19 Feb 2006 10:11PM GMT

Re: Koenigsberg

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2005 10:38PM GMT

Posted: 15 Apr 2005 9:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Robert T
I have seen various messages that you have posted referring to Koenigsberg /East Prussia.I am looking for information about a place nearby called Eylau where I believe some of my ancestors came from .Can you help in any way?
Thanks Hal

Posted: 15 Apr 2005 10:55PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2006 10:11PM GMT
There were at least two Eylaus - Preussisch Eylau which is now in the Kaliningradskaya Oblast, part of Russia, and now called Bagrationovsk not too far south of Kaliningrad (Koenigsberg) and Deutsch Eylau which is now in Poland and called Ilawa (the second "l" is a Polish letter which actually has a short line through it and is pronounced something like a "w" - so the pronounciation is (vaguely) Iwava). This town is a bit more to the west, south of Elblag. Both were in the old East Prussia until the area was split up in 1945. If you think your ancestor came from somewhere near Koenigsberg it was probably the first. Could I suggest you put Eylau into your search engine - you will find a fair bit of information.

Re: Preussisch Eylau

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2005 1:49AM GMT
Hal, my background includes six years of studying history at the University of Munich, and although I am not myself an eastern German, I have always had a particular interest in eastern Germany.

You mention simply "Eylau". If you're certain that your ancestors were from the Prussian province of EAST Prussia, the capital of which was Königsberg, then they would have been from a city called Preussisch Eylau (Prussian Eylau). Preussisch Eylau was located about 25 miles south of Königsberg and in 1939 had a population of about 7500 people. (My grandmother's elder sister, although herself a Hessian, happened to have met and married a man from Preussisch Eylau.)

When the Soviet Union took the northern half of East Prussia following World War II and the original German inhabitants expelled and the region repopulated with Russians, all the cities, towns and villages were of course given new Russian names. East Prussia's capital, Königsberg, is now known by the Russian name Kaliningrad. Preussisch Eylau is now known by the Russian name Bagrationovsk.

In the neighbouring Prussian province of WEST Prussia, the capital of which was the city of Danzig (now known by the Polish name Gdansk), there was a city called Deutsch Eylau (German Eylau). But as mentioned before, if you're certain that your ancestors were from EAST Prussia, then they would have been from Preussisch Eylau.

Robert

Posted: 18 Apr 2005 9:53PM GMT

Re: Preussisch Eylau

Posted: 18 Apr 2005 10:04PM GMT
Robert
Thanks for the message.I am fairly sure that it is the Eylau near Koenigsberg. I was very interested to hear about your Grandmother's sister and would be eager to know if you have anymore information relating to this town.I am trying to trace 2 families-one with the surname Krajewski and the other,
Kauczynski-both reputed to have come from this area.
Thanks Hal
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions