Search for content in message boards

Myers families of Guysborough County

Myers families of Guysborough County

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 2:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Sep 2012 2:43AM GMT
Surnames: Myers, Latham
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone could help me in distinguishing the different Myers families. There seems to have been Loyalist land grants to Jacob Myers at Country Harbour, John Myers at Bay of St Lewis and in the Guysborough Township to Charles Meyer, Ferdinand Meyer and George Meyer.

Are any of the families related?? Are they related to any of the families in Jeddore? I know there are different localities in Guysborough -- I am researching Stephen Myers and Emma/Amy Latham and am trying to understand the different branches of the families. Some are from Manchester, some from Country Harbour, some from Marie Joseph.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Myers families of Guysborough County

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 12:10AM GMT
Hi, this may old info for you, but George, Charles and Ferdinand were all members of the 60th regiment of foot that received land grants at Guysborough. They show up on the rolls of Christ Church in 1804. The 1817 for nova scotia census shows additional Myers and their locations. From what i read on a post, George Myers ended up in Cole Harbor eventually. Anyway, it seems that these three are related and might have been loyalists recruited specifically for the regiment, maybe from Penn, as german regiments didn't receive grants (i think)...hope this helps...

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 5:54AM GMT
Hi, thank you. Yes, I believe that Charles, Ferdinand and George were with the 60th regiment. Jacob Myers served with the Kings Carolina Rangers along with Joel Hudson, David Johnston, Jacob Fenton, James Clyburn, to name a few. Since these men were granted land in 1784 in Country Harbour, I was wondering whether Stephen Myers could be related to Jacob and whether anyone has info on Jacob Myers???

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 6:46PM GMT
Some good info on origin of most german troops within the 60th can be found on the family genealogy page for John Casper Rheinhold, of the 60th (see the notes section). Mentioned in detail is info on how 2000 Germans were recruited by Colonel George Henrich Albrect von Scheither in 1775 & 1776 for service in regular British regiments to include 193 for the 60th (batt 3/4). The JSHA -- Johannes Schwalm Historical Association has an ongoing project to indentify these troops, many if not most of whom ended up in the Regiments sent to Canada. Historian Don N. Hagist has studied the 22d Regiment of Foot in great detail and has identified the 40 von Schiether recruits assigned to that regiment (to include a Myer). You can find the list online as well. Some other British Regiments receiving von Scheither recruits were the 10th (76 recruits),16th
(127 recruits), 29th (51), 33d (101), 34th (138), 35th (40), 38th (40),44th (60), 53d (137), 3d & 4th Bns 60th (193), and the 62d (106). Possible you may find some info here. Good Luck.

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: Myers, Cook
I don't know if the Myers from Guysborough were related to the Myers from Stormont area, but I have found this:
The 1817 census has only one Myers for the Stormont/Isaac's Harbour area - John Myers, with a wife and four sons.
By 1861, there are 6 Myers: 3 Johns, George, Charles and Henry.
On the 1871 census shows a John Myers, age 60, who was born on Sable Island, with wife Mary and son David, living next door to Stephen and Amy.
The 1881 census has 75 year old Polly Myers (Polly is a nickname for Mary) living with John and Amy Myers - John is probably a mistake and should be Stephen.
I think Stephen Myers parents must have been John and Mary Myers. The Myers family is connected extensively to the Cook family, who I have researched thoroughly.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 1:14AM GMT
Hi, thank you for responding to my query. I believe that the John & Amy you are referring to are John Myers and Amy McMillan. On both of Stephen's marriage records, his parents are listed as John Myers and Marg. Johnston. His first wife, Emma Amy Latham, died about 1880 and he remarried a Carolyn Strople. However, on his death record his son, George, indicated that Stephen's parents were Henry Myers and Louisa Cook???

William Henry Myers who was married to Maggie Richardson, and then to Mary Emma Clyburn is my ggrandfather -- my grandmother was a daughter of William & Emma.

I am not sure where to look next????

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 1:39AM GMT
I have a bit more info. to share. My email address is:
patricial_@hotmail.com.
Please email me and I will send you what I have....you may already have it all, but just in case...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic