Search for content in message boards

Jesse James In Oklahoma

Jesse James In Oklahoma

Posted: 27 Apr 2010 8:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've heard the story all my life about my ancestors having dinner with Jesse James. They met on a train. Jesse wouldn't take their money because they were poor. My relative was so thankful, she invited him to supper. The story goes on that he came over for supper on several occasions.

This would have happened in Texas or southern Oklahoma (Indian Territory), but I don't have a year.

For the record, my family didn't think ill of Jesse James. They thought he was a good man who made bad choices. I remember being told how impressed they were with his manners - wiping his boots, standing in the presence of a lady, saying grace, etc.

The history of Fletcher, Oklahoma claims that Jesse James and his wife lived there, even started a bank account with money that was covered in dirt. The bank guessed it had been buried somewhere in the area.

Is there any truth to any of this? I started doubting the story in high school. Now that I know about my families "travels," I'm wondering if it is true.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Jesse James In Oklahoma

Posted: 23 Sep 2010 10:31PM GMT
My ex-wife's mother's maiden name was Lucille James and she gave birth to my ex-wife in about 1936 or 37, in Seminole Oklahoma. Both my ex-wife and her mother always said they were directly related to Jesse James. I had no other reason to believe it until I saw photos of Jesse and the facial characteristics were similar to my ex-wife and even more so her brother. They all lived in Atlanta Georgia in the mid-20th century. My ex-wife, her brother, and a sister are still all alive. Sorry I don't have more info.

William Rowen

Re: Jesse James In Oklahoma

Posted: 19 Apr 2012 3:27AM GMT
Jesse James was i"n Oklahoma. My family is has lived there for the past 200 years and I am going to marry one of Jesse James great grandsons. Grannie Clara Mae James was a little girl and her parents would have Frank and Jesse over for supper. She passes away three years ago...she was a wealth of information. they would have lived in mccurtain co oklahoma. so yes your story is correct.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions