Search for content in message boards

Help. Newbie with limited information? TURNER

Help. Newbie with limited information? TURNER

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 8:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Turner
Hoping someone may be able to help.

I know very little about my fathers side of the family. I haven't had any contact with them for a number of years now but after becoming a mother myself i want to find out a little about my 'roots'.

I'm not having much luck though. What do I KNOW

1). Father. Kevin Richard Turner b 1956 Barnet, Herts
2) married mother Christine Ann Coleby. August 1978 Aldershot
3) Kevin had siblings, Different fathers as far as I know, but there's a Melanie, David and Vanessa that I know of.

Most of the family were based in Hertfordshire area.

I ordered my fathers birth certificate, his mother is named as Eileen May Turner. In column 5 of the birth certificate where it asks for 'name, surname and maiden surname of mother' it states. Eileen may turner (cook (old persons home) of west cottage, bed well park, essendon. No father is mentioned.

So I have two thoughts.
1) that Eileen may turners maiden name was Cook, but why is the father not named if she was married??
2) Eileen was not married and so Cook represents her employment status as the father is not named..... Are either of these likely?? Or have I missed something obvious?

I would really appreciate any help to trace back even one generation back. It sounds odd, but I have only ever seen one photo of my father when he was a child and my 3 month old son is identical. And I have the urge to at least be able to tell my son when he is older where some of his roots are...

Thank you for reading this!

Re: Help. Newbie with limited information? TURNER

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 6:37AM GMT
Thought (b) is the right one. If there is no father in the appropriate column of the birth certificate it means that the mother was not married and the "putative father" (that's the technical term) was unwilling or unable to admit paternity, attend the registration and sign the register. If your grandmother's maiden name had been "Cook", then it would have said "formerly Cook", so it looks likely that this was her occupation.

Your parents' marriage certificate might possibly offer a clue, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Even if the chances of finding the identity of your grandfather are slim, it is still possible to trace the family back through the female line. Did Eileen marry the father of her other children? Her marriage certificate will show her father's name and occupation.

Re: Help. Newbie with limited information? TURNER

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 2:28PM GMT

England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005
Name: Kevin R Turner
Mother's Maiden Surname: Carter
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1956
Registration district: Hertford
Inferred County: Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Suffolk, Norfolk
Volume Number: 4b
Page Number: 194 (click to see others on page)

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions