Search for content in message boards

Tracing back with limited name -

Tracing back with limited name -

Posted: 26 Jul 2013 10:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi

Can anyone help, I am trying to trace some family that I have I know they exist but I have no idea of Names

I know that my grandfather was married once before my grandmother and had 2 children by this marriage. I am hoping to track these to children. The problem is how I go about this. All I know is his name I have no idea of theirs/there mother etc, this is not helped as my grandfather had an extremely common name....

Any ideas on how to start this sear?

Re: Tracing back with limited name -

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 12:30AM GMT
Census can be handy in cases like this,post grandfather's place and date of birth and grandmother's detail also.

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 8:12AM GMT
Hi,
So you hav'nt any BMD certs.including your own or your mothers info?

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 11:04AM GMT
Sadly Census can't help

My Grandfather (William Taylor) was born in 1917 in Bishop Auckland.

He had remarried by 1945. From what relatives can tell me I believe the youngest child by his first marriage would have been born around 1941. Therefore I believ his first marriage would have been between 1935 and 1941, I have found 5 marriages of a William Taylor in this date range in Auckland (I don't know this is where he married but it is my best assumption for now). Trouble is I have no eay of knowing (without ordering all 5 certs) which if any of these is him....

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 11:07AM GMT
Hi

Yes I do have that info and have posted the relevant above. Sorry I have just read back my original message and realise how little sense it made. What I was referring to by limited name is not knowing the name of the women I am looking for or there mother,

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 12:35PM GMT
Hi,
So your mother does/nt know her mothers name,christian name that is.Your mothers birth cert. would have info.

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 2:13PM GMT
No. It is on my fathers side my father knows his parents name. What I don't know is the name of the woman he married before my grandmother.

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 3:25PM GMT
So to clarify, you are descended from William Taylor's second marriage but you are looking to find the name of his first wife?

If this is correct then there is a way forward. William's second marriage certificate will have his father's name (or you may already know this). You can apply to the GRO for a certificate where the father's name matches. In the certificate ordering system, check "no" when asked if you have the GRO reference then follow the instructions. They will search a three year period for you and only supply a certificate if they find a match based on the criteria you specify. If they find a match the fee is the standard one (£9.25). If no match is found this is refunded. Doing it this way takes a bit longer (up to 15 days rather than the usual 4)

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 6:16PM GMT
Thank you turns out the first wifes name is on the second marriage certificate.....

now to track the children and thats a whole different ball game

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 7:13PM GMT
Well that's something I've never seen before. Which column was it in?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic