Search for content in message boards

Antonio Cherniauskas from Lithuania

Antonio Cherniauskas from Lithuania

John Chernoski (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cherniauskas, Cerniauskas
Antonio (Anthony) Cherniauskas (Cerniauskas) was my paternal great uncle. He was born in Lithuania, lived in Balkunai, Lithuania (near Alytus, LTU) and immigrated to Argentina sometime in the 1920s. His brother and my paternal grandfather, William (Vitim), settled in Pennsylvania, USA. Based on a 1923 letter from Antonio to William, Antonio's address was Vilia Diego T.C.R.P.B., Rosario de Senta Fe, Argentina. I am not aware of any other information about Antonio or whether he had a family in Argentina. Any information about Rosario de Senta Fe and its location, information about the Lithuanian community in Argentina, or how to obtain marriage or death records in Argentina is appreciated. Of course, if there are descendants of Antonio who are reading this, I would be delighted to hear from them.

John (Cerniuaskas) Chernoski

Cherniauskas surname

Posted: 5 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2004 10:59PM GMT
Surnames: Cherniauskas, Cerniauskas, Chern
Hello John,
I'm sorry I can't give you any information about the Argentinian Cherniauskas family but I have some questions for you about your Cherniauskas family in PA. My grandfather, John Cherniauskas (Cerniauskas), and grandmother, Helen (I believe Bielis), were born in Lithuania around 1885. They came to the U.S. in the early 1900's and settled in Kingston, PA. Their children were: Anthony, John (my father) born 1912, Edward and Helen. My grandfather worked in the coal mines and died in a mining accident in 1923. My grandmother died the same year from pneumonia. My father joined the Navy in 1930 and shortly thereafter, changed his name to Chern. After reading this, do you think there might be a connection? Even if there is no connection, I would really enjoy hearing from you.

Thanks, Sandy

Antanas BIELIS grave seen in Pittsburgh PA

J. Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2002 1:20AM GMT
Surnames: BIELIS
You mentioned Helen BIELIS in your query. Perhaps this person is related to her. It is a stone in the Lithuanian cemetery on Bellevue Road, Pittsburgh PA, Allegheny county:

Antanas BIELIS
Gimes Birz 13, 1882
Numire Rugs 19, 1944

I have no other info as this is not my line. I just happened to see it in the cemetery.

Re: Antonio Cherniauskas from Lithuania

Waking Dove (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2002 12:31PM GMT
Surnames: Cerniauskas-Cernavicius-Cernauskas-Chernouskas-Chernousko
I read your post with interest because I have just learned that one of the spellings of our family name was at one time Cerniauskas.

My great-grandfather, George Cerniauskas, married a lady whose maiden name was Judsnukis in Lithuania. They had two children, when he emigrated to the U.S. and got a job in the coal mines in Pittston, PA. He sent for his wife when he made enough money. She later died in childbirth, and he sent to Lithuania for her best friend, Katre to help care for the children, and eventually married her.

I have also recently learned that at about the time he came to America, job recruiters were heavily recruiting Lithuanians to work in Argentina, Brazil and the U.S. My great-grandfather heard from other family and friends that immigrants were being used to cut down the jungle but not being paid. I do not yet know which other family members were in Brazil or Argentina.

Interestingly enough, it appears that Immigration managed to change just about everyone's names in my family from Cerniauskas to Cernavicius, Cernauskas, Chernouskas and Chernousko.

Re: Antonio Cherniauskas from Lithuania

Posted: 1 Dec 2009 5:29PM GMT
HELLO,
please be informend that your surname has been changend quite more often.
My mothers maidenname was Tschernowski (german "Translation of Cernauskas" around 1920) her fathers name was Jonas Cerniauskas(Born: Bartininkai Lithuania 23.June.1866) Her mothers maidenname was Magdalena Raitikiewic, born : Bartininkai 14. Dezember 1870. Parisch: Willowischen
I am serching for information about about my grandparents:
A)Josua Cerniaus(Cerniauskas) Born: most probably Bartininkai and his wife: Marianne Chiemlauskaite
B) Jonas Raitikiewiec and Anna Zilgosaite both born in Pascheininin Lithuania.
Can you help me?
PS.: Please also note, that my cousins in the USA have changend the spelling of Cernauskas to " Zernis".

Thanks in advance!
Heinz Joachimiak /Germany

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions