Search for content in message boards

Werner Engblom

Werner Engblom

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 11:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandfather left Hanko Finland and arrived in US in Nov. 1892. His birthplace was listed as Russia. His date of birth...Jan. 1867.
But I have learned that Finland was part of Russia until 1918.
Can someone help me find where he was from in Finland? I am having a hard time navigating the Finnish archives
Thank you in advanced.

Re: Werner Engblom

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 1:19PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Engblom
Hi
He was already naturalized in 1900 so he must have arrived before that year,
Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) about Werner Engblom
Name: Werner Engblom
Birth Date: abt 1867
Birth Place: Russia
Age at event: 33
Court District: New York
Year of Arrival: 1892
Date of Action: 12 Oct 1900
Painter witness John Colberg
I have not located him on a passenger list .Scandinavian names were often misspelled on translation records.
Alicia

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 1:45PM GMT
Surnames: Engblom
I found two

New York, Index to Petitions for Naturalization filed in New York City, 1792-1989

Citizenship & Naturalization Records

View Image
NAME:
Werner Egelom
BIRTH:
abt 1867
CIVIL:
12 Oct 1900
ORIGIN:
Russia
ARRIVAL:
30 Nov 1892 - Chicago, IL
U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project)

Citizenship & Naturalization Records:

View Image
NAME:
Werner Engblom
BIRTH:
abt 1867 - Russia
CIVIL:
12 Oct 1900
ARRIVAL:
RESIDENCE:
New York
Alicia

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 2:27PM GMT
Ty Alicia..I too had that info. I am looking for his hometown in Finland. IAny idea on how I do that? The Finnish sites are not so User friendly.

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 2:32PM GMT
He is on the institute of migration in Finland but I do not have a subscription to see if a town is listed for him.

http://www.migrationinstitute.fi/index_e.php
Alicia

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 8:13PM GMT
The database at the institute of migration does not have his place of birth or residence. There is only this:

Detailed passenger information
Last name Engblom
First names Werner
Age or age group 20
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Chicago
State of destination IL
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 220
Ship from Finland Urania
Date of departure from Finland 12.11.1892
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line Allan Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 1/98
Remarks Mk Johan Lind.

(http://www.migrationinstitute.fi/emreg/ml_engdetail.asp?snim...)

The last line says that Johan Lind was traveling with him - but there is no further information on Johan either.

But I found "painter apprentice" Verner Emanuel Engblom in the microfilmed passport lists indicating that he was from Helsinki. Helsinki church records show that he was born on April 28, 1867 in Lieto (a parish near Turku) and came to Helsinki in 1890.

He is found in Lieto church books as Verner Immanuel:
- birth record: http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=8627070 (second child on the second page)
- communion book: http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/lieto/ri... (5th from the bottom)

If he is the correct person then his parents were teacher Johan Engblom and his wife Maria Albertina Nyström. Let me know what you think.

Kari

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 12:14AM GMT
Werner Emanuel engblom born 1867 28 of april in lieto, lundo, finland, his father johan engblom born 1833 in hvittis finland, mother maria albertina nystöm born in lemland åland 1831.
i am werner emanuel engbloms sister johanna carolina engbloms grandchild and I live in sweden. They were 7 children. Idid not know this, write back please, anita

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 7:44PM GMT
werner emanuel engblom born in Lundo, Lieto finland 28/4 1867. His mothers name Maria Albertina nyström, born in Söderby 7, Lemland, Åland 22 /9 1831, his father Johan Engblom, born in wästergrannas Böle,Hitis, Finland 16/6 1833.
I did not know that Werner Emanuel had emigrated to USA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic