Search for content in message boards

Cole Family, Ontario Canada

Cole Family, Ontario Canada

Posted: 4 Apr 2003 7:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 May 2004 4:22AM GMT
If anyone knows anything about the family below from the 1881 Census please contact me.... all I know is that the father is Zac Cole or Zacheria or something similar and died before the 1901 census. The mother, Sarah A., is listed as being born in Ireland 1842 and coming to Canada in 1852; do not have her maiden name. She has a grand child living with her in the 1901 census named Agnes who is listed as being born in England in 1890 and coming to Canada in 1896. Son Richard married an Annie and they had a daughter named Irene born 1895. Son George H. Cole married a Mary A. and they had Edna (1893), Erla (1895) and Hazel (1898). Daughter Emma Jane Cole married George Michael McCormick in 1883 and they eventually moved to Vancouver B.C.

Household:

Name Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion
Charles ROBERTSON Male English 24 O <Ontario> Trapper Church of England
Cole QACERIA M Male Dutch 46 O <Ontario> Farmer C. A Methodist
Sarah A. COLE M Female Irish 38 Ireland C. A Methodist
John James COLE Male Dutch 21 O <Ontario> C. A Methodist
George H. COLE Male Dutch 17 O <Ontario> Son C. A Methodist
Richard COLE Male Dutch 15 O <Ontario> C. A Methodist
Emma Jane COLE Female Dutch 14 O <Ontario> C. A Methodist
Luca Ida COLE Female Dutch 11 O <Ontario> C. A Methodist
carry May COLE Female Dutch 9 O <Ontario> C. A Methodist
Louisa A. COLE Female Dutch 8 O <Ontario> C. A Methodist
Sarah K. COLE Female Dutch 6 O <Ontario> C. A Methodist
Bertha E. COLE Female Dutch 4 O <Ontario> C. A Methodist
Qacria W. COLE Female Dutch 2 O <Ontario> C. A Methodist
Ada Maud COLE Female Dutch <1 Born: Dec; 3/12 O <Ontario> Church of England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Census Place Standhope & Sherborne & McClintock, Peterborough East, Ontario
Family History Library Film 1375876
NA Film Number C-13240
District 125
Sub-district J
Page Number 5
Household Number 25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Cole Family, Ontario Canada

Posted: 7 May 2006 9:43PM GMT
Surnames: Cole
I am a direct decendant of Zachariah Cole through George. I can tell you quite a bit about George's family. Here is what I know about Zachariah Cole and Sarah Ann (Coulter) of Dorset, Ontario Canada.

Zach Cole: Born about 1835 in Ontario
Died Dec 27 1885 in Ridout, Ontario (Source Ontairo death certificate)
Zach help survey the roads in and around Dorset. He essestially founded that town. He want to call it Colebridge but that fell throught for some reason. He operated a little inn for a while. Later in his life he farmed until his death. You can read about him in the book "In Quest of Yesterday" by Nila Reynolds.
Burried: Painted Lake Cemetary

Sarah Ann Coulter: Born: 14 Aug 1842 in Glengarran,Drumkeeran,Lurg, , Fermanagh, Ireland
Died: 29 Jul 1917 in Vancouver, BC , Canada
Burried: Mountain View Cemetery, Fraser St, Vancouver, B.C. Canada

I believe she lived with my great grandfather George Henry Cole in her later years. She married Zach in 27 Dec 1858 at Brighton Ont Canada.

Sources:
Ontario Death Certificate
source Canadian Census 1881 District 125 Sub J Page 5 Household 5
Immigration: 1852 Date given on 1901 Census
· Census: 1881 Standhope & Sherborne & McClintock, Peterborough E, ON, Pg 5, HH 25
· Census: 1901 Ridout, Dorset, ON, Pg 5, Fam 51

If you would like to know about George H or any of Zach's other kids please let me know.

Posted: 8 May 2006 2:25AM GMT
Hi Stefanie
Thanks for writing... here is the link to my on-line tree and I'd love for you to have a look and see if there are corrections, additions, etc. Parents of Zac and Sarah would be great as well plus the spouses of the kids I'm missing. Appreciate all info if available. I've also sent this message to a great-great-granddaughter of Sarah Ann Coulter so you'll probably hear from her.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?o...

Stefanie (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2006 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Cole Coulter Tyrell McGillivray
Here is some additional information I have on Zachariah's and Sarah Ann's. Unfortunately, I didn't record where I found the information.

Louisa Alberta /Cole/ Born: 31 Jan 1872 at Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Sarah Katherine /Cole/ Born: 23 Nov 1874 at Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

George Henry /Cole/ Born: 12 Sep 1863 at Dorset, Ontairo, Canada (birth location information according to family members) married

Mary Ann /Tyrell/ Born: 16 Apr 1870 at Port Perry, Ontairo, Canada

George and Mary Cole children:

Lorne Gray /Cole/ (my grandfather)(he was usually called Tim) Born: 3 Apr 1903 at Dorset, Ontairo, Canada (source orginal document written by George Cole to the Dominon of Canada to prove that Lorne was born in Dorset and not Calgary, Alberta.)
Died: 21 Dec 1987 at Victoria, BC
and he married:

Norma Beatrice /McGillivray/ Born: 24 Aug 1917 at Handel, Saskatewan, Canada Married: 2 Jan 1946 Fort William, Ontario? Died: 4 Oct 2000 at Victoria, BC.

He had two sons who are both living. The two sons had two kids each. One of which is myself.

George and Mary Cole kids:

Edna /Cole/ Born: 5 Aug 1893 at Mcclean & Ridout, , Muskoka District, Ontario

Erla Pere /Cole/ Born: 15 Sep 1895 Ridout, Dorset, ON Canada

Hazel /Cole/ Born: 5 Apr 1898 at Ontairo, Canada

Cecil /Cole/ Born: Apr 1901 Ontario, Canada

Dorence /Cole/ 7 May 1904

Hope this is helpful. I don't have parents on Zachariah but I do have on something Sarah Ann's

Sarah Ann's Father: Robert /Coulter/ Mother: Maggie

Posted: 24 May 2006 5:27PM GMT
Hi Again...
The 1851 Census lists Zachariah Cole as a son with the family of Richard Cole. Unfortunatley Richard is with a second wife, Henrietta Wright, who is only seven years older than Zac Cole so could not be his mother. If you come across a first marriage of Richard Cole... born about 1807... son of Isaac and Hannah Cole... please email me at alreadydid3@hotmail.com
Thanks
Sherry

Stefanie (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2006 6:08PM GMT
Surnames: Cole
Which county did you find the Census Listing for Richard Cole in the 1851 Census? How do you know this is Zach's father? Appreciate your help.

Stefanie

Posted: 1 Jun 2006 4:41AM GMT
Hi again... I had been given some oral history a long time ago that Zac named his son Richard Simon Cole after his father. I had never actually found anything to link Zac to a Richard though. In the 1851 Census they're all living there so ... that's all I really have to say Richard is Zac's father. They can be found in Brighton Twp - Part 2, page 20a. Further down the page another of Richard's sons can be found... Richard Jr.

Posted: 1 Jun 2006 4:45AM GMT
Has anyone actually found the marriage record for Zac and Sarah? I mean they were listing parents in those records in 1858 so you'd think his mother and father would both be on record for that.

stefanie (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2006 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: cole
Thank you for the help. The information you gave me is a good start.

Stefanie

Posted: 14 Mar 2007 4:53PM GMT
Can't get your email to work. Please email me directly carol.gibson@shaw.ca
Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions