Search for content in message boards

I have Winter War pictures to share!

I have Winter War pictures to share!

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Military
Edited: 17 Aug 2013 8:59PM GMT
I have gotten a book called Vapautemme hinta from 1941 which contains information of (almost) every Finn who died or went missing in the Winter War ("Talvisota") in 1939-1940. The book has a picture of the deceased (when available), a rank or title, full name, a place and date of death and how old the person was when he/she died. The book also has information of civilians who died during the air bombings. About 70% of the people have a photograph of them.

If you know that someone who you are looking for died in the war, I CAN photograph/SCAN and EMAIL you a picture of him/her.

What I need to know:
- (Full) Name and living or birth place would ideal to have OR
- Name and province or somewhat precise area OR
- Just the name (bear in mind, that with the most common surnames there can be 30-40 people so gender, initials or something like that might be necessary).

I will translate and interpret the text for you.

I would suggest sending me a private message rather than posting your email address here.

Same in Finnish:
Myös suomalaisille siis Talvisodassa kaatuneiden ja kadonneiden kuvia kirjasta Vapautemme hinta. Lähinnä sotilaskuvia mutta myös siviilien kuvia mukana. Skannaan niitä mahd. tarkkoja nimi- ja asuinpaikkatietoja vastaan.
Attachments:

Re: I have Winter War pictures to share!

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 5:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello. I have people with the surname MATIKKA in Saarenpaa, Koivisto during the Winter War. Could you tell me if you have any Matikka people at all listed?
Thankyou for your generous offer. Bob Marttila in Hamilton, Ontario

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 6:03PM GMT
Surnames: Kivisto, Ylinen, Sarvimaki
Hello,
Thank you for your post. I don't have much to go on, but was wondering if any of the following names were mentioned in your book: Kivisto most were from the Hollola area. The other names I have are Blomstrand (at some point the name was changed to Ylinen. The other name is Sarvimaki. Thank you for any help you can give me. I can be reached at k.jonell@yahoo.com.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 10:51PM GMT
Surnames: Matikka
I found seven men with the name Matikka. They are: Adam from Kirvu, Adolf, Eino Johannes, Jaakko Armas and Juhana from Räisälä, Onni and Erkki from Rautjärvi. There are pictures of all of them.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 11:43PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately none of these Matikkas were mine, but it was worth a go!
I'm sure someone will benefit though from your generosity.

Cheers...............Bob
per page

Find a board about a specific topic