Search for content in message boards

Westmeath names

Westmeath names

Posted: 7 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jul 2004 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Glynn, Crowley, Connor, Merlehan
Searching for connected families in Taghmon Parish Westmeath Ireland early to mid 1800's. Michael Glynn married Julia Crowley (1835) witnesses were Rose Merlehan and Pat Crowley.

Taughmon Parish CONNORS

Barbara Steensland (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CONNOR, DOOLAN, KERWIN, CLEARY, STARKEY
Just received information from Dun na Si Heritage Centre regarding family of Walter CONNOR and Catherine DOOLAN. They were married Jan 10, 1830 Taughmon Parish, witnesses Thadius CASSEDY and Ellen MURRAY.
Children:
Richard 25/2/1834 sponsors Christopher DOOLIN & Catherine NORTH,
Thomas 13/11/1830 sponsors Mathew GAYNOR & Polly DOOLAN
Ann 01/06/1836 James MURTHA & Catherine CONLY,
Catherine 15/11/1838 Rose & Michael HOPE,
Michael 18/10/1840 Mary GAFNEY, and
Mary 29/12/1849 sponsor Mary POTTERTON (I believe this is my ggm who married Thomas KERWIN and came to Brookllyn, NY about 1868). I have not found immigration or marriage records yet.

Believe there is also a child Bridget, born in 1832 who married John STARKEY. Possibly arrived in US in 1848. Accoriding to some information from the STARKEY clan other names that might be connected to the 14th Ward in Brooklyn and related to some of the above are CLEARY, CANTWELL, CORCORAN, QUINN, O'BRIEN, AND AHEARN.

Glynn, Crowley, Connor, Merlehan

Bernie O'Connor (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CONNOR
I am researching my g-grandparents Michael & Elizabeth (nee Maguire) Connor who sailed to Melbourne Australia in 1863.
They were from Ballinderry near Moate. Is it possible that there may be a connection with your query.
Kind regards
Bernie O'Connor
Melbourne Australia.

Connor-Murray

Posted: 9 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Connor, Cullen, Glynn, Crowley
Hi Barbara, My eyes really focused on your response when I saw the name Murray as a witness in Westmeath for Walter Connor wedding. When my grandfather Edmund Connor was baptized in Massachusetts in 1867, the sponsor was Thomas Murray. Did your Walter ever come to the states? Where did he settle? Do you have a townland for the Connor wedding, or just Taghmon Parish? I'm still trying to nail down a townland for my Connor/Cullen marriage.
Wouldn't it be lovely if we can make all of this connect? Looking forward to hearing from you. Eileen

Westmeath Names

John Leavy (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Leavy Connor Glynn
If you are resarching any of the names in this group of queries try looking in Griffiths Valuation of Tenements for the Civil parish of Rathconnell. It overlaps the Catholic parish of Taughmon. Look in the townland of Balreagh,(Connor, Leavy). Also look in the neighbouring townlands of Killynan Cook, Killynan Pratt, Clonkill (Merlahan), Brittas (Murry) and in Taughmon parish the townland of Tuberaqill (Glynn,Connor). You will find Crowley in Clonsheever and Ratnconnell spelled Croly and Crolly but all distant cousins. Most of these townlands and family names are in an area of less than five square miles. The Mormons were not allowed to microfilm the Taughmon Catholic parish records but the Westmeath Heritage center at Dun na Si (Forth Of the Faries)has copied them over the last two years. Please let me know if this is of any help.
Happy Hunting

CONNORS Taghmon Parish

Barbara Steensland (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CONNORS
No Walter did not come to the US but his son Thomas was in NYC in 1852 per the Emigrant Savings Bank records. AT that time he lists his two sisters Bridget and Anne as living in Brooklyn.

Walter's wife Catherine supposedly came to the US in about 1878 at the age of 77.

Barbara

Walter Connor

Posted: 11 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Connor, Murray, Glynn, Crowley, Cullen
Hi Barbara,
The name Walter Connor has been stuck in my brain. I finally found it in my files. In 1872 and 1873 a Walter Connor was living at the same street address as my grgrfather John Connor and his family in Newton Ma.
My John moved the next year to Cambridge MA and I didn't pay much attention to Walter. Could be just a coincidence, but when I get a chance I'd like to go back and check out Walter and also any Murrays in the area. I'll keep your address in case anything materializes. Eileen
Posted: 12 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2005 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: CULLEN, ROCHE, SLATTERY, HIGGINS, TRACY
DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON YOUR CULLEN'S?

Westmeath names

nancy jones (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Connor, Crowley, Brien
Eileen My family was also from Taughmon Parish. My gggrandfather (Richard Brien) and my gggrandmother(Elizabeth Toole) were married Jan 7 1840, Patrick Crowley was listed as witness along with a Mary Scally. I also have a Anne Connor as a sponsor to Richard Brien dob Nov 1813 and a Patick Connor as sponsor to Catherine Brien the date of the bapitsm was Feb 6 1817. I don't know if this information is of any use I just wanted to pass it on Nancy

Rose Merlehan

Dermot Merlehan (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Merlehan
If you have queries regarding rose Merlehan please contact the address above
per page

Find a board about a specific topic