Search for content in message boards

O'Malley in Westport, Mayo, Ireland

O'Malley in Westport, Mayo, Ireland

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 9:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Sep 2012 9:19PM GMT
Surnames: O'Malley, O'Neill, Stanton, Fadden
My line is from Michael O'Malley and Mary O'Neill from Westport, Mayo, Ireland. Michael's parents were Patrick O'Malley and Mary Stanton. Mary O'Neill's parents were Martin O'Neill and Hannah Fadden. I can't go back any further than that, nor do I know of any siblings for Michael O'Malley or Mary O'Neill. Does anyone have any information along that line?

Re: O'Malley in Westport, Mayo, Ireland

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 6:37PM GMT
W Ferreter. We are distant cousins. I too am a descendant of Michael O'Malley and Mary O'Neill. I had someone relate to me years ago that Michael was 1 of 12, and that there were 6 boys and 6 girls. I too have not known any names of siblings.
My g-gfather was Martin Joseph O'Malley 1856 - 1930, the oldest son of Thomas O'Malley (the oldest son of Michael) and Catherine Walsh. My g-father was Robert C. O'Malley 1888 - 1929, the oldest son of Martin. My mother was Mary Francis (O'Malley) Burch 1919-2007, the middle child of 3 born to Robert C. & Ursula (Brennan) O'Malley. My ancestors all stayed in and around Waunakee (Westport) - i.e Martin and wife Anna Regina (Connor) lived in Madison, Robert C & Ursula lived in Madison, and I was born and raised in Madison. I now live in Pass Christian, MS. Both of my sisters are still in the Madison area. What about the Ferreter family?

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 6:51PM GMT
Good to hear from you Michael. We corresponded over 10 years ago about the O'Malleys. I am now retired and have gotten back to working on my genealogy. I have also heard that there were 12 in the O'Malley family, but have never seen it documented. Some how we should be able to find those other siblings. I am also off the line of Thomas O'Malley and Catherine Walsh. Hannah O'Malley, Martin Joseph's sister, married Thomas Welch. Their 5th child, Thomas George Welch married Agnes Kelly. Then their 3rd child, John Rodney Welch married Mary Catherine Kelly. Their only child, John Edward Welch is my father. I married William Ferreter. I have most of your names in my genealogy, but did not have death dates for Mary Frances O'Malley or her husband Byron Burch. I can send you what I have if you need it.
My husband and I are going to Ireland in Oct. It is a long awaited trip we have been planning and wanting to do since we got married 36 years ago. I want to see what I can find in Ireland about the O'Malley's but am not very hopeful. A genealogist I talked to said to try to find O'Malley organizations that might be in the area. Will let you know what I find.
Thanks again for writing back. We should keep in contact.
Mary Ferreter

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 9:16PM GMT
My father Byron B. Burch died in Sept 1997, and my mother Mary Frances O'Malley died in 2006(?) - sorry, I forgot. Anyway, our cousin Mary Ellen Kearney has been in contact with another cousin who recently has been in Ireland - County Mayo. If you would like, I can get Mary Ellen's e-mail and you might contact her about somemore genealogy. Mary Ellen is a g-daughter of Thomas P. O'Malley and Martha "Mattie" Monks. Thomas P. O'Malley was 10 yrs younger than Martin J. O'Malley, my g-grandfather. Thus Mary Ellen's mother Mary Jordan was a 1st cousin of my g-father Robert C. O'Malley Sr. I guess Mary Ellen is a 2nd cousin to my mother? Who knows? She is my age (technically, she may be 70 already, and I am just 68.)

The family lore I heard, from my mother, my g-mother, and from "aunt Mattie" was that there were 6 boys and 6 girls in the family that included Michael. But I never have heard or learned of any siblings. My uncle Robert C. O'Malley Jr. (age 87) has been to County Mayo a couple of times, but he was not ever able to get any details. He did meet many O'Malley kin, but nothing to specifically tie-in to Michael and Mary O'Neill.

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 3:00PM GMT
Hi Michael,
We have corresponded many years ago. I remember your name. I have retired and am now doing genealogy on a more regular basis. I am also a descendant of Thomas O'Malley and Catherine Walsh. My line comes off of Hannah O'Malley (their second daughter) who married Thomas Welch. Their fifth child was Thomas George Welch who married Agnes Kelly. My grandfather was their 3rd child, John Rodney Welch. He married Mary Kelly and had their only son, my father, John Welch. I married William Ferreter. I was also born in Madison, but haven't lived in Wisconsin since college. I am now in Overland Park, KS, a suburb of KC. My tree is on Ancestry.com if you have ancestry.
We are going to Ireland next week. We have been wanting to go ever since we got married 36 years ago. The time has now come. We will do our utmost to find info on the O'Malley family, but relatives that have gone over before have come up empty handed. The church where their records were kept was burned. I am just hoping that some day I might come across descendants to Michael's siblings. They have to be out there.
My husband is also Irish. The Ferreter's come from the Ballyferriter in the Dingle peninsula of county Kerry. We are going to spend time there doing genealogy also.
Will let you know if I find anything. I assume you have all the info that I have about the O'Malley's, but let me know if there is something you need.

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 3:11PM GMT
Michael,
When you mentioned that there were 6 sons and 6 daughters of Patrick O'Malley and Mary Stanton, I referred to an article I found in Madison publication called "This is Madison" dated Oct 1978. It talks exclusively about the O'Malley's in Westport, Wisconsin. Quoting "Born to Patrick and his wife, Mary, nee Stanton, both of whom lived in Town of Westport, Ireland, and died there was a son, Michael, one of six sons and daughters. He married a colleen by the name of Mary O'Neil." From this statement there might have been a total of 6 sons and daughters. Not sure. Can e-mail a copy of that article if you are interested. It talks a bit about Robert Connor O'Malley.
I will be gone for 3 weeks, so may not get back to you until I return from Ireland.
Take care.
Mary Ferreter

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 3:57PM GMT
Surnames: O'Malley, Welch
Enjoy your trip. I wish you well on the genealogy hunting. Please give my regards to your husband.

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 2:39PM GMT
Mary, how was your IRELAND trip? Did you enjoy the food, people, countryside, and get any geneology info on O'Malley or Ferreter?

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 7:28PM GMT
Michael,
We had a great time in Ireland. Didn't find out any really new information. On the Ferreter side we found a book, "Hungry for Home" that talks about the Blasket islands. They used to be the Ferriter Islands. It has mention in there about stories about my husband's ancestora. I found a book, "Granuaile" written by Anne Chambers. It is a well documented book on the life of Grace O'Malley. In it she says in her last paragraph, "But O'Malleys everywhere can take pride in the fact that they originate from the same seafaring clan from the lordship of Umhall on the west coast of Ireland, and that they share a common heritage with the most famous member of the clan to bear the name O'Màille - Granuaile." I had always hoped that there was a connection there. We will never be able to show the connection, but it is neat to learn about her and know that she is an ancestor.
The food was great. We enjoyed eating out at various restaurants and pubs. We took a lot of pictures of the countryside. It was beautiful. The weather was the only drawback of the trip. It rained most of the time and was quite cold. If I could have chosen, I would have gone in April or September, but the locals said that the whole year has been bad weather wise. It has really affected their tourist trade this year.
I mentioned some questions on the previous e-mail I sent you. Have you had a chance to look at it?
Mary Ferreter

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 2:44PM GMT
Surnames: O'Malley; Burch; Maloney; Dooley
Nary,
Glad to hear that your trip was enjoyable but cold. Sounds like you created some great photos and memories. "Good stuff" to get info about the Ferreter ancestry, along with "Grace" O'Malley. As for us, we have been busy with family and the holidays. My wife and I drove to Austin, TX to spend the holidays with our daughter's family - the 4 g-kids ages 16, 14, 12 & 10. And tomorrow we are driving the 1hr 5 minutes into New Orleans to have a combination Christmas/B-day with our son's family - g-kids ages 10 & 2.Note that this is after we watch the 10 yr.old play a basketball game @ 1 pm.
I had gotten a report from my cousin, Sally (O'Malley) Dooley that her dad (Robert C. O'Malley, Jr.) is still frail and recovering from his 2 surgeries in 2012. I have not spoken with him in over a yr.
My brother-in-law Terry Maloney is now very aqddicted to all this genealogy business. He has done very extensive work on our side of the family, and he asked for all my input re: O'Malley family tree. I will try to get the details of how you can get to access that info in Ancestry.com.
I have been given Terry's password so I can use the 1 yr Ancestry subscription that my sister gave to Terry for Christmas. That way we are both getting to access Ancestry for data research.

How was the holiday season for you and William?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions