Search for content in message boards

Seeking Look-up in Toronto City Directories - HASLAM - 1935

Seeking Look-up in Toronto City Directories - HASLAM - 1935

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 9:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Haslam, Haslem
Seeking to find out how long my ancestors remained at 79 Pauline Avenue and where they moved afterwards. They lived there since about 1910, Walter Haslam died June 30, 1932, Lila Haslam died July 14, 1933, and their mother Margaret Haslam died October 23, 1935, all residing at 79 Pauline Avenue. Three sons remained, William H. Haslam born 1866, Alfred Haslam born 1872, and Thomas S. Haslam born 1885. It is not known how long after the death of their mother Margaret that they stayed in the house, nor are the dates of deaths known for them. I am hopeful that the Toronto City Directories may provide additional information on these 3 men, and who their wives and children were? It would be very greatly appreciated if you could look up 79 Pauline Avenue or the Haslam family in the Directories for the late 1930s and forward. I have hit an impass and need new info to move forward with my research.
Gary S.A. Haslam, Surrey, BC, Canada, gshaslam@telus.net

Re: Seeking Look-up in Toronto City Directories - HASLAM - 1935

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 6:34PM GMT
I see them living at a different address in 1911

Thomas S Haslam
Marital Status: Single
Birth Date: Jul 1885
Birthplace: Ontario
Family Number: 12
Relation to Head of House: Brother
Tribal: Irish
Province: Ontario
District: Toronto West
District Number: 128
Sub-District: Ward 5
Sub-District Number: 24
Place of Habitation: 180 Dundas
Census Year: 1911
Page: 1
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William H Haslam 46
Walter Haslam 36
Thomas S Haslam 25
Margaret Haslam 57
Sela Haslam 27
Havel Haslam 7

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 7:26PM GMT
Toronto Public Library's Ask a Librarian Service will check city directories for one three-year period at a time.

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/ask_index.jsp

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 8:32PM GMT
Marriage: Ancestry.ca

Alfred Haslam, 45, b Lindsay, living Toronto, motorman, s/o William Haslam & Margaret Hickson, married Lena McMillan, 38, b Lorneville, living Toronto, no father given, mother Isabella, witn: J B & W R Patterson of 697 Dovercourt Rd, 5 May 1917, York Toronto, Registration # 002611.

Cannot help with any births as birth records are only released to 1910.

1911 census West Toronto, York, Ward 5
180 Dundas Street

HASLAM
William, head, single, b May 1866, 44, b Ont,
Walter, brother, widowed, b July 1874, 36, jeweller
Thomas S, brother,single, b July 1885, 25, watchmaker
Margaret, mother, widow, Mar 1844, 57, b Nova Scotia
Lila, sister, b Aug 1883,27, Ont, furrier/farrier
???, niece, Mar 1904, 7, Ont

The ink is quite faded and I cannot make out what William's occupation is. Lila was transcribed as Sela and niece as Havel. I don't think the name is Havel but cannot make out what it is. Have a look.

I cannot find a birth registration for the niece so don't know what the name might be. She is likely daughter of Walter?

1901 and 1911 census on www.automatedgenealogy.com

Posted: 27 Nov 2008 8:02AM GMT
I was only able to view this census record only at 100% on Ancestry. Don't know how you all were able to read it!

I was able to download a higher quality census record at the Archives of Canada site which took forever to download, maybe a slow night on the internet...

I will email the info to you if you wish.

I think the niece was born in Saskatchewan.

As for the name, parts of it looks like "??abel" so I would be guessing it as Isabel.

Nice work with the transcriptions.

Saluti.

Posted: 28 Nov 2008 7:13AM GMT
Surnames: Haslam
Hi Saluti, are you referring to the 1911 census for Toronto when they were residing on Dundas Street? If so, I do have this record. I opened it on Adobe with no trouble but it was difficult to read some of it. It looked to me also that the niece was born in Saskachewan (March 1904). It remains a mystery and there is not much online for Saskachewan. The name which was transcribed as Havel, and you think might be Isabel, is lilely Mabel. Walter, brother of William H. Haslam who is the head of household in 1911, had a daughter, and her name was given on Walter's Death Registration in 1932 (005028) as Mabelle Weeks (married to Ralph M. Weekes). This 1911 census also states that Walter was widowed, which means that Mabel's mother died sometime after her birth and before the 1911 census taking. I have no knowledge yet on who Walter married or who was Mabel's mother.

Posted: 3 Dec 2008 5:10AM GMT
Oh I know! There's not much online for Saskatchewan...

I was able to photocopy the addresses of the Haslams (1934) and Weekes (1940)

Source: The Toronto Directories.

I won't list all the Haslams.. but what an interesting group...

One Haslam even worked for The Rogers Radio Co./ CFRB...

Yesterday we lost Edward Samuel Rogers,(Ted Rogers) the son of the radio pioneer Edward S. Rogers, Sr. He was 75. Amazing people! A very interesting family!!

Another Haslam worked for International Business Machines... (IBM)...

Saluti!

Posted: 4 Feb 2009 6:24PM GMT
I have a Mildred Muriel Haslam born in 1901 Providence, RI USA married to a Simon McNaughton born Mar 15, 1897 Foxbrook, Pictou Co., NS with 4 children, Gordon, Edwin, Richard and Fraser born in the US in my family tree.

Would any of these sound familiar to you.

I would love to continue with this line of the family tree.

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 7:01AM GMT
Surnames: Haslam
I am sorry, but I do not know these names in my family. Before Canada my Haslam ancestors were in Ireland. I will make note of them in the event I may find a link in the future.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 2:15AM GMT
What is your connection to Mildred Muriel Haslam married to Simon MacNaughton in an old posting of yours on 4 Feb 2009?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic