Search for content in message boards

Aho family line

Aho family line

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 10:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Aho, Lehto
Looking for any help or info finding out about my Great Grandfather who was born in Pulkkila, Finland

His name is John Aho dob: June 22, 1890

He came to America sometime between 1905-1910

I have not been able to locate any Ellis Island records on him and am not sure if his name was shortened when he arrived. I know he lived and died in Alaska. His wifes name was Ellen Lehto born in Oulu, Oulun Laani, Finland about 1895. They had 3 children: Toivo Alfred Aho, Stanley Aho and Helen Aho.

Any help would be great...I have hit a wall and can't find anything out.

Re: Aho family line

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 10:30AM GMT
Given that you have a dob and place, what is the brick wall?

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 11:23AM GMT
Ancestry.com is showing a family tree for john Aho, b. 22 Jun 1890, died June 1976 Fairbanks, Alaska. They also show him in the 1920, 1930 census, alaska alien arrivals 11 Aug 1911 and some other records. If you have a membership to ancestry.com you should be able to access those records. If you do not have a membrship, I think you can still get contact info the the person that has the family tree and ehy might possibly help you.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 5:22PM GMT
No Ellis Island records....not knowing if his name was shortened when he arrived in America.....I can find nothing past he lived and died in Alaska....allthough from what I have been told he came to America in or around 1906 and was married in Minnesota ......nothing there references his marriage either...so...brick wall.....

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 5:53AM GMT
Hi I am not sure would this be your John Aho?

Canada citizen John Aho arrived to Katchikan, Alaska by ship "Princess May" in 11 Aug 1911

"Beginning on May 27, 1901, Princess May was placed on the 800-mile (1,300 km) route from Vancouver, British Columbia along the British Columbia coast to Skagway, Alaska

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_May_%28steamship%29

Attachments:

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 8:50PM GMT
It is not...but thank you for sending me that information...My Uncle John was actually born in Anchorage, Alaska.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 4:16PM GMT
My Grandmother was an Aho. They all lived in Scofield Utah. I do know that they shortened their name from Iso-Aho to Aho. You might look under that spelling.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 4:22PM GMT
I found his draft registration card on Familysearch.org...he lived in Anchorage in 1917. His date of death was June of 1976 in Fairbanks. You might be able to get a copy of the obituary from a local library in Fairbanks and that might give you more info to go on.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 2:28PM GMT
I am looking for information on my Grandmother, Elizabeth Aho. She came to the USA with two sisters in 1906 to (I believe) Ellis Island. I have checked passenger list and have been unable to find anything on her arrival to the USA.

She was also from Oulu, Finland. I cannot understand why there are no records for her.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 3:45PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 2 Feb 2013 5:22PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions