Search for content in message boards

John Killingsworth Garner

John Killingsworth Garner

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 1:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jan 2004 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Garner Killingsworth Walpole Brewer
I am seeking help with identifying the parents/grandparents of a John Killingsworth Garner. John K Garner was born May 15,1812 in Pulaski County, KY and died January 26, 1884 in Douglas County, MO. I have seen a Vincent Garner listed in several places as the father of this John Killingsworth Garner. I have also seen a Henry Garner listed as his father. However the only Garner in Pulaski county KY in 1810 and 1820 was indeed Vincent.

A member of my line, William Garner Jr (ca 1770-1835) of Northampton County NC, had an only son, Dr Presley Killingsworth Garner (1831-1861) and many of PKG 's male descendants have that middle name to the present day.

Presley Killingsworth Garner's grand father Rev. William Sr (ca 1745-1824), a Baptist minister, remained in the Northampton, NC region through his life. William Sr's brother, John Garner (1740-1823) moved from Northampton County to Rowan county in Western NC. Many of the Garners who moved into TN and KY (and other points west) were children of this John. Some of Rev. William's children also went west. A couple of his daughters married Brewers and Walpoles who ended up in TN. William was also issued a Bounty Warrant but never went to KY. Perhaps one of his descendents used the bounty warrant rather than him.

The Killingsworths lived in Halifax County, Edgecombe district and Johnston County NC in the mid-late 18th century
Based on US census data, Killingsworths seem to have been centered in NC initially and spread outward to other states after about 1820. The NC Killingsworths were in Johnston, Halifax only. The distribution suggests that a Killingsworth that married into the Garner family would have likely done it in NC if the name showed up for the first time in a Garner name given to a child born in 1812.

I would love to discuss the subject of John Killingsworth Garner with any and all of you. That Killingsworth name is not very common and there has to be a link back to Northampton County.

I look forward to dialog addressing this interesting line.

Regards,
C Edwin Garner
137 Summit Road
Sparta, NJ 07871
973-729-8354

Re: John Killingsworth Garner

Posted: 6 Jul 2004 3:31AM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2004 3:55AM GMT
Does anyone know for sure which cemetery John Killingsworth Garner was buried in Douglas Co., MO?

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 5:21AM GMT
Surnames: Garner, Beckett, Hopkins,
samcer1,
JOhn Killingworth Garner is buried in Fairview Cemetery. I don't know the name of the town but I can find out and let you know.
bgpar

Posted: 22 Dec 2008 3:21AM GMT
Hello,

I am NOT related to your line so far as I would know. However, I have a book of early Pulaski Co., KY marriages that has several GARNERs in it and will this them on to you.

Jul 17, 1834
GARNER, Dierbowen to EVANS, Eliz.; surety: Marjor P. EVANS
Wm. EVANS, brides's father

27 Feb 1817
GARNER, Parrish to WILLIAMS, Patience; presiding minister: Thos. HILL

13 Aug 1850
GARNER, Geo. to JASPER, Eliz.; surety: Terel JASPER
consent by Abraham JASPER (KNS: kin not stated)

8 Jan 1834
GARNER, Vincent to DOOLIN, Perneta; surety: Wm. EVANS

20 Sep 1841
GARNER, Vincent to McKENZIE, Nancy; surety: John McKENZIE

On my 1810 Kentucky Federal census for Pulaski Co., KY, there are TWO GARNERS present as of 1810:

GARNER, Palla - Pul - - Pg. 147
GARNER, Vincent - Pul - - Pg. 121

Close by in Knox Co., KY, there is:
GARNER, Thomas - Knox - - Page 75

Hope this is of some help to you.

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 4:40AM GMT
Surnames: Garner, Beckett, Hopkins, Killingsworth
I think the name of the town that John Killingsworth Garner is buried in is Ann MO. I am in contact with a Lady that lives in the town where John Killingsworth Garner's wife Nancy Hopkins Beckett Garner is buried. She gave me the name of Ann MO. and directions to the cem. I went to the cem because John is my Great Great Grandfather.
bgpar
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions