Search for content in message boards

Birth Record Translation needs help

Birth Record Translation needs help

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Luhtala
I have used Google to help translate this birth record of my second great grandfather. But there are a few words I can't get that I would love some help with!

1) There's a word/abbreviation "defs" before the mother's name.

2) The title bar of the page has a column for "barnafoderskans alder" or something similar.

3) The last witness, Justina has "Dojit a Mullola (af)" after her first name.

I am attaching the page - my relative is the second one down, Matt Mattsson Luhtala.

Here's what I've translated:

MONTH...BIRTH, BAPTISM, (BARNAFODERSKANS ALDER?)...VILLAGE...PARENTS NAMES, CHILDREN AND SPONSORS (WITNESS?) NAMES

January...2, 3, 34....Tuurala... Luhtala Farmerson Matt Johans-Sons and (defs) wife Greta Johans-Daughther child: Matt. Witness Farmer Herman Bakkala with wife Maria Torp. Johan K---- with wife Justina Dojit a Mullola (af)

Any help would be appreciated!
Steve
Attachments:

Re: Birth Record Translation needs help

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 5:11AM GMT
Dess = his
Barnaföderskans Älder = mother's age
Döpt å Mullola af = babtized in Mullola by

January...2, 3, 34....Tuurala... Luhtala Farmerson Matt Johans-Sons and his wife Greta Johans-Daughther child: Matts. Witnesses Farmer Herman Bakkala with wife Maria crofter Johan Kuusikko with wife Justina Babtized in Mullola by Frans Oskar Durchman

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 5:25AM GMT
Thanks so much :) Your version reads much better.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 8:14AM GMT
I have another Finnish question, more about naming traditions than translation. I have a female relative who's patronymic name seems to come from her father's father, not her own father.

Greta's father is Johan Clemsson. Her name is Greta Clems... Can this happen? I have not seen the original document, so maybe it's a transcription error?
Attachments:

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 1:42PM GMT
It seems as though thebirth records for Isokyro for 1817 are missing on SSHY. i did find the following on the Hiski site.

Born Christened Village Farm Father Mother Child

2.4.1817 4.4.1817 Tuurala Tulisalo Bondes Johan Clems's Greta Jacobs'dr Greta

Sorry, I can't get the info to line up under the headings.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 4:41PM GMT
The problem with FamilySearch is that they use the patronymic as a last name. So whoever transcribed Greta's birth information saw that her father was Johan Clem(ets)s(on) and considered that her last name. So in reality she was Greta Johansdotter Tulisalo (the name of the farm). You can see the entire family in the communion book:
http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/isokyro/...

The original birth information can be found on the national archives website:
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=6655879

I really wish that FamilySearch had included the farm names when they had these transcribed, cause if you just look at their information it's impossible to find the family in the communion book. And there might be several couples with the same name, so getting families mixed up is extremely easy when using FamilySearch.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: Luhtala Kangasneimi
Thanks so much for the information and the assistance. This family pair of Johan & Greta was not mine, but I am learning more and more about Finnish naming & genealogy because of them.

Maybe you could help me further in my research! You know Swedish & Finnish and appear to have great skill with Parish records and the Hiski site. I have just started using these recently, and I have had some good results.

Can you look at the Luhtala/Kangasneimi part of my family tree and see if you can help me go back a generation or two? I would seriously appreciate any help or advice you have.

Thanks in advance!
Steve Smith

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:45PM GMT
I can most definitely do that, but I think you have to add me as a contributor. I don't have a paid subscription, so I can't see the tree.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 4:25PM GMT
This does happen. My grandfather took my grandmothers last name when they married. It was very confusing when I was looking up family records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic