Search for content in message boards

Clashmore (Clashnoir) Farm

Clashmore (Clashnoir) Farm

Posted: 26 Aug 2007 4:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gordon
In my family tree I have George Gordon b 1766 living at Clashmore farm in 1841. I think it is located between Glenlivet & Chapeltown. Would there be any records of people who worked/lived at this farm??
I also have Robert Gordon b approx 1780 living at Easter Deskie in 1841. I can find Deskie just east & north of Glenlivet - would that be Easter Deskie??
I am hoping to prove that George and Robert are brothers.
Any info greatly appreciated!!
These message boards have been really helpful!

Re: Clashmore (Clashnoir) Farm

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 7:18PM GMT
Surnames: Gordon,
I have just had a correction. It is John Gordon living at Clashnore farm - not George.

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 7:18PM GMT
Surnames: Gordon,
I have just had a correction. It is John Gordon living at Clashnore farm - not George.

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 9:40AM GMT
Hi,

Clashmore is enumerated between Bravell and Tamalinan. I'ld be inclined to think that it's maybe 1 km S of Clashnoir, between Braeval (322100,820700) and Tomalienan (322900,820900) on a modern map.

Easter XX normally indicates a place or building to the east of XX (sometimes there's no XX, but it's east of for Wester XX).
Enum District 4 starts at Burnside, then to Starryhillock, then Easter Deskie, then Deskie.
There are no buildings between Burnside of Deskie (321300,830500) and Deskie (320200,830100) on a modern map. There're some via the road to Tombreckachie at (321000,830100), but they're on a flat valley floor (looking at the 10m contours), and hardly qualify as a hillock, I'ld have thought. There's also a building marked as "Hut Circle and Field System" which conceivably is Starryhillock. Possibly Easter Deskie is the easternmost building of the cluster at Deskie, or possibly it's vanished over the years. It might be worth looking at a 19th century map.

You might want to view my 2nd post (27/8/07 GMT, 26/8 local time) on "Stuarts in Inveravon (Achnascraw)" on the Aberdeen board.

Regards - Malcolm

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 10:39AM GMT
Your first message said Clashmore, and your correction said Clashnore.

I looked at the transcription on FreeCen, and John Gordon, aged 75, is in Clashnore.

I also looked through the entire enumeration district, and I don't think the households are in any sort of order at all - they are all muddled up, and don't look as if the enumerator has tried to follow any sort of route when collecting the schedules.

There are two households listed at Clashnore, two at Nether Clashmore, two at Clashmore, three at Nether Clashnore, one at Backside/Neither Clashmore and two at Backside.

The modern 1:25,000 map shows Clashnoir at NJ226219, Upper Clashnoir NJ223221, Nether Clashnoir NJ229224, Clashnoir Cottage NJ237222and Crofts of Clashnoir NJ238220. There is nowhere named Clashmore marked in this area.

The 1:10,560 map at www.old-maps.co.uk shows the matching places, but spells them Clashnore rather than Clashnoir. So there is no doubt that what is listed as Clashnore in the 1841 census is the same as the modern Clashnoir.

I see that the 1841 census listing at Clashnore includes Jean Gordon, aged 60, and John, aged 33. The 1851 lists at Clashnore Jane Gordon, 70, and her son John, 43, described as insane. So this is obviously the same family.

In 1851 no places are listed as Clashmore, so all the ones spelled with an 'm' in 1841 are spelled with an 'n' in 1851.

To sum up, I am pretty certain that your John Gordon lived ast what is marked on modern maps as Clashnoir.

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 10:47AM GMT
Sorry, hit the send button prematurely!

> Would there be any records of people who worked/lived at > this farm??

There might just possibly be some sort of surviving record of who the tenant was. If so, it would most likely be in the archives of Glenlivet Estate. I do not know whether these archives have survived, and if so where they are and whether they can be consulted.

However it is extremely unlikely that any records survive of anyone employed by the tenants.

Glenlivet Estate was part of the land handed over to the Crown Estate, so I suggest contacting the Estate as a first step. See http://www.glenlivetestate.co.uk/

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 2:30PM GMT
Thank you both for your information. It gives me lots to work on and makes the area in question more understandable.
Thanks again.
Heather

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 9:28AM GMT
"Forfarian" reported:

'I see that the 1841 census listing at Clashnore includes Jean Gordon, aged 60, and John, aged 33. The 1851 lists at Clashnore Jane Gordon, 70, and her son John, 43, described as insane. So this is obviously the same family.'

A little bit of lateral thinking propmted me to take a look at the Poor Law index for Inveravon (the records start in 1845). These show two entries for "GORDON, John" at reference BC6/14/9 at page 246 and page 276. There is also an entry for "GORDON, Jane (Widow)" at the same reference, page 23.

GORDON being a common surname, these might refer to two entirely different people, but the Poor Law records do often contain family details not available elsewhere, so I would be inclined to get a look at these entries. The reference numbers refer to the "General Register of the Poor", which typically contains information about the claimant's circumstances for the entire period that he or she was in receipt of assistance.

The original Poor Law registers for Inveravon are held by Aberdeen City Archives.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic