Search for content in message boards

Adam Harness, VA>MS

Adam Harness, VA>MS

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 8:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Nov 2003 3:42PM GMT
Surnames: Harness
Hello,
My family recently had a family reunion three years ago in Mississippi.My grandfather was Murray Harness Sr., his wife Luvella. My great-grandparent was Esaw Harness. My great-great grandfather was Adam Harness, he was a slave in Virgina I believe and he bought back his freedom and moved to Mississippi. He also purchased some land in Miss. Supposedly some parts were known as Harness town. Now near McComb and Liberty Mississippi. If you know anything else I could find out please let me know. It's hard to move forward when you don't know where you came from. Thanks, May God forever bless you.

Re: Adam Harness

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 8:24PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 5:37PM GMT
Surnames: Frost, Snodgrass, Harness
Dear Deanna: This information is just a small piece of Harness, but it may help.
My great grandfather was William Printz Frost. He married Martha Snodgrass in 1849. Martha's mother was a Harness from Virginia. When William P. Frost and Martha Snodgrass came from Virginia to settle in Mexico, Missouri, they brought her mammy, Lucretia, with them as she was part of her (Martha's) family. I don't know if that means Lucretia's surname was Harness or Snodgrass or if it matters, but I was struck by your message (and blessing).
If you need to write me, leave a message on the Harness Board or Email me at: sophiekahn@earthlink.net.
Regards, Jill Alexander.

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 8:30PM GMT
I'm glad you wrote back to me. I feel a little more closer to the "root" now! I have a entire write up of my family history but it stops at Adam. I'll get it from my mom and send it to you. Thank you for your help and I hope I helped you. You have a blessed day.

David Harness (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2001 6:24AM GMT
I need all the information I can get on Adam...I think He might be the missing link between my Great-great Grandfather Soloman Harness of Indiana and a Lineage i can trace back to 1710. Please help. Thank you.

Posted: 4 Aug 2001 12:11AM GMT
Hi,

I apologize, but I don't have very much info right now....but I'll contact some of my family and see what I can find for you. I do know (off hand) that his name was Adam Harness and he came from a very large family. At one of our family reunions there was someone there that explained how our (Harness) family originated from Jamaica. Adam was a "slave" in Virginia, he bought his freedom and moved to Mississipi (McComb/Liberty area). It's a very long story. I'lll try and find out some more (names and so on) and post it as soon as I get a chance... feel free to e-mail me!

Deanna (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2003 9:12PM GMT
I'm not sure of a birth date, but Adam Harness was born to Edward and Jennie Harness. He had a twin brother, Abraham, another brother Esau, and a sister Peggy.

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 11:40PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2010 3:25PM GMT
Hello, Deanna my name is Lamane and my Grandfather's name was Toney Harness and he was born in Coahoma county MS, and his fathers name was Tom Harness, and his father I believe was Tom, and his father's name was Michael or Michell Harness, born around 1830 in Virginia, but ended up in Clinton or Hinds county,MS in 1870 I believe he owned land in the area. I think he was related to Edward and Jennie Harness from VA. Have you heard or know of a Michael Harness? Any help will be truly appreciated.
Thank you

Re: Adam Harness, VA>MS

Posted: 13 Jun 2011 1:14AM GMT
Surnames: harness
I don't know if you will get this, but my father was James Harness and he was the grandson of Adam Harness. I have been trying to create a family tree and have gotten more than a few links to the family trees of Adam's other children and the children of his siblings.

Posted: 13 Jun 2011 9:22PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2011 3:36PM GMT
Hey shotput1972, I did some research and found from the 1870 Census, that there was a Peggy Harness born around 1825 in Virginia, and lived in Pike County in Mississippi Adam born abt.1832, Esan born abt. 1836, they lived in Liberty county in Mississippi and Michael( I believe my Great Great Great Grandfather) born abt. 1830 and lived in Clinton county in Mississippi and Peggy born abt. 1795 and Edward born abt. 1800 living with ESAN in Liberty. I started a group on facebook called Harness family with a lot of the family on it, send me your email and I will send you an invite, my email is lamanew2002@yahoo.com

Posted: 29 Oct 2011 7:53PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2011 12:25PM GMT
Hello Adam, The history i was given, is that, my great grandfather Adam Edward Harness was the keeper of deeds in Osyka MS. A prominent post for a man of color during that time period. His son, Will, was my grandfather. I was also told, by my father, William E. Harness, nickname "Bubbles", that we had an uncle who was a professor at Alcorn State University. I am William Edward Harness III born in Detroit, MI
per page

Find a board about a specific topic