Search for content in message boards

Timmings/McPhee in Lochiel or Kenyon

Timmings/McPhee in Lochiel or Kenyon

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 10:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
The marriage of William Timmings and Mary McPhee is listed in the St. Finnan's Catholic Church record in Lochiel for 24 Apr 1865. No place of marriage is listed and no parents or witnesses. Census records list his birth place as Quebec and her's as Ontario. The 1891 Census lists them living in Kenyon just before she died on 1 Nov 1893. I cannot find anymore information on William. I am looking for both their parents. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Timmings/McPhee in Lochiel or Kenyon

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 8:57PM GMT
If they were listed in the St. Finnan's records the place of marriage would have been St. Finnan's Church in Alexandria. I have St. Finnan's records but there is no listing which is strange. There is a listing of their daughter Mary Jane married to Alexander MacDonald 17 Feb 1890 with Alex from Lot 35, 3rd Lochiel. Also listed are births of daughters Ester, Mary Agnes and son John Ranald. Mary MacPhee's parents were Archibald MacPhee and Isabella MacGillivary. His grand parents were John MacPhee and Margaret Peggy MacGillis and his great grand parents were Alexander Roy MacPhee and Catherine MacAlpin from Aberchalder, Inverness, Scotland. They came July 3, 1802 and Alexander Roy was my 3rd great grand father. Our family lot was Lot 34 on Eigg Road (3rd Lochiel) so we were next door to Mary Jane Timmings and Alexander MacDonald who were on Lot 35. I notice that the a sponsor for their John Ranald at St. Finnans was a Mrs. Harriet MacDonald and this was probably my grand mother. Nothing further on William Timmings.

Following is a 1881 census for Timmings which you may have.

Tal

Household:

Name  Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion
 William TIMMINGS   M   Male   English  40  Quebec   Labourer   Church of England 
 Mary TIMMINGS   M   Female   Scottish  39  Ontario      Catholic 
 Mary J TIMMINGS      Female   English  15  Ontario      Catholic 
 Alexander TIMMINGS      Male   English  13  USA      Catholic 
 William TIMMINGS      Male   English  11  USA      Catholic 
 Annie TIMMINGS      Female   English  7  Ontario      Catholic 
 George TIMMINGS      Male   English  4  Ontario      Catholic 

Source Information:
  Census Place Hawkesbury, Prescott, Ontario
  Family History Library Film   1375864
  NA Film Number   C-13228
  District   103
  Sub-district   C
  Page Number   12
  Household Number   52

Posted: 17 Mar 2011 9:48PM GMT
I came across this marriage while doing some other research. Thought you might be interested, Rhoda

S.D. & G. Marriages 1886
011189-86  Ranald McDONALD, 36, Farmer, Indian Lands, Kenyon Twp, s/o Arch & Margaret McDONALD; married Annie McPHEE, 24, Lochiel Twp, Lochiel, d/o Alex McPHEE & Marg McDONALD; witn James McDERMID & Mary Jane TINNING, 8 Mary 1886, Lochiel

Posted: 18 Mar 2011 12:52PM GMT
St. Finnan's Cemetery, Alexandria, Ont.
Alexander R. MacDonald 1862-1953: his wife, Mary Jane Timmings 1866-1941. Dau. Isobel 1891-1919

St. Alexander Catholic Church Cemetery, Lochiel, Ont.
TIMMINGS
In memory of Mary McPhee wife of Wm. Timmings died Nov. 1st, 1893 aged 55 yrs. "May her soul rest in peace"

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 6:17PM GMT
I am reseaching this particular McPhee line since I am the great grand daughter of Ann McPhee, Mary's sister. I am looking for marriage and death/burial info and source citations as well as immigration information. Can you please help?

Posted: 15 Apr 2011 6:32AM GMT
I'm sorry to say the Mary McPhee listed in the St. Finnan's Church records born on "26 March 1838" to Archibald McPhee and "Isabella" (Elizabeth) McGillivary is not the Mary McPhee married to William Timmings. She is still single and living with her parents in the 1871 and 1881 Census. ( In 1870 my Mary McPhee is living in Minneapolis with her husband William Timmings and her two children, Mary Jane and Alex. In 1881, she is living with William Timmings and her children, Mary J., Alexander, William, Annie and George in Hawkesbury twp., Prescott Co., Ontario)

I think the next Mary McPhee listed in the St. Finnan's Church records, born on the 03 Sep 1838 to Alexander McPhee (Jr.) and Mary McDonald may be the right one. Mary McPhee and William Timmings do not have parents listed on their marriage record in the St. Finnan's Church Records. Interestingly, I found William Timmings in the Lochiel directory listed as a tenent on C3 Lot 33 in1886. On that same lot is Laughlin McKinnon and his wife, also named Mary McPhee who I think is our Mary's aunt from the family of Alexander McPhee (Sr.) and his wife also named Mary MacDonald. I just need something a little more substantial to confirm this connection.

I believe the reason William Timmings is not listed on a gravestone at the cemetery along with his wife is that he did not die there. I have a border crossing record listing a William Timmings going to Flathead, Montana in 1915. William Timmings Jr., our William Timmings son, had a baby boy born in 1915 in Montana and he lived in Pablo, Montana in the 1920 Census. Pablo is right next to Flathead Lake, Montana! I think grandpa was going to see his new grandson. The border crossing record listed William's father as Thomas Timmings at 10 Rivard, Montreal and his last permanent residence as Montreal. I noticed in the obituary you sent me that his two daughters were from Montreal. I think this may be the trail I will be persuing to find his vital records. Laurie Coles Hill

Posted: 25 Apr 2011 5:45AM GMT
Surnames: William Timmings and Mary MacPhee marr. 1865 Lochiel
I recently located the death record for William Timmings, age 77,in Montreal. I caught the trail after finding a boarder crossing manifest for William made from Montreal to Flathead, Montana on 15 Jun 1915. His son, William, bought him a ticket to come see his newest grandchild. The document also listed his father's name as Thomas. I also located the original ticket with additional information listing his address in Montreal and his nearest relative was his daughter, Sarah Timmings, at the same address. Thomas is still very illusive. I think he may have been dead for quite some time.

Knowing that William wasn't found in the St. Finnan's Church registries, the boarder crossing info helped me discover his death record in Montreal at Notre Dame Basilique. The record states he died the 1st of Apr 1918 and was from the parish of St. Agnes. I haven't been able to uncover any Timmings in the church records of St. Agnes in Huntingdon, Quebec. More research is in store.

I also found another marriage entry at St. Andrews Catholic Church in Lochiel for the same date but alas no parents listed for either William or Mary. There were two witnesses though: Roderick McLeod & Jane McPhale. I didn't know Lochiel had another Catholic Church and I only have the index for St. Finnan's, so I'm not sure their retlationship to the bride and groom.

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: Timmings, McPhee
My great-grandmother is Mary Jane Timmings (1866-1941), born to Mary McPhee (1838-1893) and William Timmings (1838-1918). I would be delighted to know of this sister, Ann who you think is sister to Mary McPhee (1838-1893). My records show Mary's siblings are Alexander, Isabella, Ewen, Christy, Catherine, and John. Who do you have as your Ann's parents? Can you give me Ann's birth information? I have researched the Timmings and McPhee line and have uncovered some interesting connections which lead me to believe Mary's parents are Alexander D. McPhee and Mary McDonald. I am the researcher, Laurie Hill, for my parents, but my father Bob Coles, owns the subscription.I would be happy to share information with you.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 1:25AM GMT
Hi Laurie!
My great grandfather is Alexander A McPhee brother to Mary Jane and Annie(aka: Nancy)etc..
Their parents are Alexander ( Lord of Glengarry) and Mary MacDonald.
Annie's birth is unknown but her death is September 22, 1937 in LA California, USA.
She was married twice. #1-Mcdonell with 5 kids and #2-McMillan.
Love to know if you have any additional information about any of the siblings(John & Ewan in particular)
Melissa MacPhee
613-872-1561

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:15AM GMT
Surnames: McPhee, MacDonald and Timmings of Lochiel
Thank you for the information on Ann. I didn't know where she disappeared to. I know about her marriage to Ranald t McDonell, but that's as far as my information on them goes. To who and when was she married the second time? I do not have her birth information either. I have a birth date on John (01 May 1849)but no documentation. His death information follows:

MacPhee, John; Burial S-4 (B) p-203; 08 Mar 1876; Lochiel-4th, Lot 26; MacPhee, Alexander*(son of) & of deceased Mary MacDonald Lot-26/4th Lochiel, died on 6th inst, aged 25 years. Present: John McDonald & John McGillis. *(commonly called "Lord Glengarry") Alexander MacDonell, Parish Priest)
(See Alexander Parish Index, Lochiel Book 1, pg 214)

I have a birth date on Ewen (16 Nov 1844) but no documentation for him either.

I have been in contact with members of the McDonell and MacDonald lines lately, so that is where my recent research has been focused. I have just started a new job in the last two weeks, so my research has slowed a bit.

If you would like to exchange ged.com files of what we have collected, I would be very interested. My e-mail address is: lauriehill53@comcast.net. I hope we can help each other fill in some holes. Sincerely, Laurie Hill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions