Search for content in message boards

WATKINS family

WATKINS family

Robin Gilliam (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WATKINS, MCCAULEY
Looking for many WATKINS family members who were living in Anne Arundel County from the 17th century until the 1860s. My direct easy ancestors are Frances McCauley, married to Mary Ann Watkins in 1833. His father may have been a Frances or Thomas McCauley, also of A.A. Co. We think her father was Benjamin Watkins of South River; no info on his wife or much else. This Benjamin's father was also a Benjamin Watkins (died 1802), whose wife was Ann (?). The elder Benjamin's father was Stephen Watkins, born 1737, died 1783, wife's name unknown. Stephen's father is John Watkins of Prince Geo. Co., born 1715, died 1743, and married to Mary Warman. I am trying to verify the family connections in this particular period, especially the unknown wives' family names. If you know any of these folks I would enjoy hearing from you.

Watkins Family

Posted: 7 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2001 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: Watkins, Coale
"A shot in the dark" - Do you have the name Charlotte Watkins listed in your branch. From Anne Arundel Co. She married Alfred Coale. Ca.1800. Thanks, Jill

WATKINS, Charles M.

Gene Sears (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Watkins, Mangum, Sears
Do you have any knowledge of a Charles M. Watkins who md. Isabella Mangum in Ann Arundel Co. on 7/9/1868. Among their children was Annie Priscilla Watkins b.May 10, 1875, d.January 08, 1947 who md. Fielder Bowie Sears.

Watkins in AA County

Posted: 5 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2002 9:48PM GMT
Surnames: Watkins
I am searching other surnames in AA County, BIRD and WHEELER. I saw your query about WATKINS.

There is a farm on MD Rt. 424 (Davidsonville Road) at the junction of US Rt. 50 (SW corner) that was owned by a "Ben" Watkins in the 1940s to 1970s, and before. The farm may still be in the family. It is still there.

I do not know if this "Ben" Watkins is now alive or not. He was a friend of my father who died in 1959. I thought I would put this out because of the correlation in names, your Ben Watkins and the one I refer to.

Bill Bird, Bowie, MD.

Watkins family

Posted: 15 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
To Laura Watkins Lewis - Your Anne Arundel County Watkins family are indeed relatives, but my branch stayed in Maryland, so we split off at the end of the 18th-early 19th century. John Watkins IV and Mary Warman are my ancestors, and one of their other sons is my link. I don't think we have even heard of a Leonard, much less an Archibald, but we will check. I am also not sure I've seen the Wm. Hurley book, as my notebooks are at home, but will follow up on that too. Thanks very much for the information on our joint ancestors. Robin Gilliam, a very distant cousin in New Mexico

Watkins of Anne Arundel County

Posted: 15 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2001 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: Watkins, Belt
Robin, maybe the following information will be helpful to you.

My known Watkins line is this:

John Watkins of Nansemond,(Upper Norfolk) VA, m. Frances ____, d. about 1648. John and Frances had -

John Watkins, II, d. about 1682,probably in Talbot County, MD, where Frances later died. He is reported to have married Alice Lloyd, a daughter of Col. Edward Lloyd and his first wife, Alice Crouch, but I have no documentation to support this. (Edward Lloyd's second wife was Frances Watkins, John's mother; his third wife was Grace Parker. The Watkins and Lloyd families were close friends). John Watkins, II, and Alice had -

John Watkins, III, m. 1688 to Anne Gassaway, daughter of Col. Thomas Gassaway and Hester Besson. John Watkins, III, was buried Feb. 27, 1696. He and Anne had at least four children, including John Watkins, IV.

John Watkins, IV, b. Anne Arundel Co. August 15, 1689, d. 1743. Married about 1715, in All Hallows Parish, Anne Arundel Co., to Mary Warman of Prince Georges Co., MD, daughter of Stephen Warman. They lived on the West River, near what is now Galesville. They owned a plantation there, and had a sloop, the "John and Mary." John and many of his kinsmen were members of the "Ancient South River Club," which is still standing. It's located near Birdsville, down the road from the old brick church of All Hallows Parish where John and Mary were married. I used to live near there.

John and Mary had seven children, including -

Stephen Watkins, b. June 27, 1735, m. Feb. 1, 1757, to Eleanor Boyd (d. in Monongalia Co., VA - now WV), daughter of Benjamin Boyd. Stephen and Eleanor had at least nine children, including a son -

Benjamin Watkins, b. Aug. 2, 1759, m. April 16, 1780, to Elizabeth Sheckles. (They had another son, Stephen Watkins, b. Feb. 3, 1763, of whom I know nothing).

John Watkins, IV, and Mary Warman also had a son, John V, b. Sept. 7, 1727, d. 1781, who married Esther Belt, daughter of Benjamin Belt. They had seven children (among them, Leonard Watkins, my 3rd great-grandfather). One of their sons was Benjamin Watkins, b. about 1762.

In case your sources are mistaken about the Stephen Watkins link, I'll add that my ggg-grandfather, Leonard, b. 1754, d. 1828 at Barnesville, Montgomery Co., MD, married Mary Eleanor Higdon. They had a son named Benjamin B. Watkins, b. Sept. 24, 1788, and d. Sept. 12, 1823. This Benjamin is buried at Piketown, Ohio. He was married twice, the second time to Louisa Red.

The only Mary Ann Watkins I can find doing a quick search through WATKINS FAMILY OF MARYLAND, by William Hurley, (which has errors but contains the names of many Watkins descendants)is Mary Ann Watkins, b. June, 1820, daughter of Archibald Washington Watkins. I doubt this is your Mary Ann, but that's all I have.

Good luck in your search!

Laura

Watkins family

Posted: 22 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
My folks are very happy that we have heard from you. All our ancestors from John I of Nansemond through John IV are the same as yours, and we are a line from one of John IV's other sons, either a Stephen or a Benjamin, I think. Although my mother has read numerous books on Anne Arundel Co. families, she is not familiar with the book by Wm. Hurley on the Watkins family specifically. Was it privately published, and are copies still available?

On real family questions, my mother wants to know if you have connected Mary Warman back to Ninian Beall(e) - she read somplace that Mary was a descendant of Beall's, and owned property in her own right. Any proof that this is true? We also loved learning about the sloop "John and Mary" as we had never seen a reference to anything like that before. We do have oral history tales of the South River Club, from just a couple of generations back.

Thanks again for any other help on getting back into the search for this branch of my family.

Robin Gilliam, four generations removed from the Watkins name.

Watkins Family

Laura Watkins Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: Belt, Gassaway, Warman, Watkins
Hi again, Robin

I didn't make it clear that my Watkins family did stay in Maryland. I'm descended from John Watkins, I, of Nansemond, whose son, John, II, was transported to the Severn from Virginia in 1658 by his stepfather (and possibly father-in-law) Edward Lloyd. John, II, died around 1682. His son, John, III, (m. Anne Gassaway) died in 1696. His son, John Watkins, IV (m. Mary Warman), and died at West River. I am his descendant through his son, John V, (m. Esther Belt), and through their son, Leonard Watkins, a Revolutionary soldier, buried at Barnesville, Montgomery County, MD. Leonard was father to William Watkins, who was father to John Leonard Watkins, a miller near Kemptown, MD, who was father to my grandfather Howard Hanford Watkins.

My own father, William Howard Watkins, only son of Howard Hanford Watkins,is buried at Kemptown next to his parents.

I re-checked Mr. Hurley's book and couldn't find any McCauley's listed, but since many of John and Mary's descendants and marriages aren't included in this book. It is primarily concerned with descendants of Jeremiah Watkins, 1743-1833, who was the son of Nicholas Watkins, Sr., and Margaret Lamb. Nicholas, Sr., was the son of John Watkins, III, (d. 1696) who m. Anne Gassaway.

If there's any other related name I can look up for you, let me know.

Laura

Re: Watkins of Anne Arundel County

Posted: 30 May 2005 9:39AM GMT
Laura
I am a decendent of John Watkins of Anne Arundel County through Nicholas to Joseph 1734 to Archibald Washington Watkins to John Quincy Adams Watkins to Charles Bryan Watkins to Anna Isabel Watkins (who is my grandmother). Anna Isabel (known as Isabel) left the Baltimore area in 1920 for NY, then IN, and died in Florida.

Our family lore suggested the Watkins family came to America from Wales on a land grant from the King of England. I wonder if Rice Watkins, who came to Virgina in 1623, could be John's father. How did you find the Thomas Watkins connection to John I? It appears that Rice Watkins and Edward Lloyd (who was also from Wales) came over in the same year -- 1623. If their families were so close, it would make sense they came over together from Wales.

Also, have you found proof of the land grant?

Jennifer Watkins Christensen
jenc1115@aol.com

Re: Watkins Family

Posted: 9 May 2007 8:38PM GMT
hello,
I am looking for Noble Watkins born about 1800. He was married to Ann High on 21 May 1822. The best I can make out from census is that they hade 3 or more children.I move on from Ellen F Watkins who married a William Jubb. 1870 census of Baltimore Maryland shows William Jubb as living with the family.
Diana
dixielouwho2@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions