Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah William SMITH

Jeremiah William SMITH

Judith Smith (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2006 8:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SMITH
I know that a Jeremiah SMITH, convict came to Tassie on the “Somersetshire” in 1841-2 but I’m wondering if an earlier Jeremiah William SMITH was sent as a convict to Tassie. I have pinpointed a JWS who I think was my great, great grandfather who fathered my great grandfather (Samuel William SMITH) at Hobart in 1836. (SWS’s Death Certificate confirms this). What I can’t find is how my JWS arrived in Tassie. (Later in the 1840s he ended up in Adelaide, as a carpeneter).

I have heard that sometimes convicts at the end of their sentences went from Tassie to SA to swell the numbers of workers needed to build the settlement there. I am wondering if this is what happened to my JWS.

Can you inform/advise/assist me, please?

Re: Jeremiah William SMITH

Bruce (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2006 5:31AM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2006 10:06PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Judith,
I have looked at my Tasmanian Convict cd and the bad news is there are 4 William Smiths on the Somersetshire but no Jeremiah.
The ship departed Plymouth 19/12/1841.
Covict no's. are as follows: 72524, 72525, 72526, and 72527.
Must have been very hard for the convicts leaving home so close to Christmas.

Re: Jeremiah William SMITH

Judith Smith (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2006 12:18AM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2006 10:06PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH,TAYLOR
Bruce, thanks for looking.I was a little surprised to learn that your CD lists William but not Jeremiah, as the TassieArchives Search Portal (database #65374) has "Jeremiah' on the "Somersetshire". On the other hand, I'm beginning to suspect that "my" Jeremiah William SMITH may have been recorded under either Christian name. I say this because lately I've been confused by some Archives records. My JWS may not have been a convict on this ship because he would not have been able to father three children, including one I suspect was my great grandfather, Samuel William SMITH (you gave me a reference the other day).

The Death Certificate of my great grandfather, SAMUEL WILLIAM SMITH stated that he had been born in Hobart about 1836. His father was JEREMIAH WILLIAM SMITH and his mother was ELIZABETH ? (Samuel himself must have told someone that he thought his mother was Elizabeth Judson but I don’t think that he really knew). I looked at the Family Links detail and was somewhat confused:

A Jeremiah William Smith (Archives #340337) and an Elizabeth Taylor (325856) had a Charles Smith (268817) at Launceston in 1840.
A William Smith (349563) and an Elizabeth Taylor (318049) had a Samuel William Smith (267614) at Hobart in 1836.
The same William Smith and Elizabeth Taylor had Elizabeth Smith (267615) and a Charles Smith with a different number (267613)

Bruce, I think that these must be the same individuals and my ancestors, even though the father involved was Jeremiah or William SMITH. What do you think?

Would you be able to check out the Charles (b.1839, Launceston) & Elizabeth (b.1831) SMITH birth details for me, please? A Birth Reference like the one you gave me for Samuel would be very useful. Also, do you have access to any records that would give information on an Elizabeth TAYLOR who came out on the "Harmony" from Downs in 1828-9?

Bruce, I hope that this message doesn't seem too confusing. I look forward to your reply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions