Search for content in message boards

Peter A. Campbell

Peter A. Campbell

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 6:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lothian, Campbell
My paternal great grandfather was Peter A. Campbell born 15/6/1862 who married Margaret Lothian, born about 1860. I cannot find any info on Peter's parents or where he was born. One now deceased family member Lorne Campbell tried to tell me Peter came from L'Orignal. That is all I know and cannot find a trace of this Peter A. Campbell anywhere. The only other info I have is the Peter became a chronic drinker, probably alcoholic. If anyone has any info or can suggest an avenue to pursue it would be greatly appreciated. Peter was the father of my grandfather, John Wilbur Campbell and his brother Ransom.

Re: Peter A. Campbell

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 9:56PM GMT
YOu likely have this.

1891 census Lochiel, Glengarry Ontario

CAMPBELL
Peter A, 28, b Ont, father b Ireland, mother b Ont, farmer
Maggie, 31, b Ont, parents b Ont
John, 11, Ont
Ransom, 4, Ont
All Baptists.

1881 census Lochiel, Glengarry, Ontario has a Peter P Campbell, 18, Scottish living with/working for James & Christy Haustan. They are all Baptists.
Margaret Lothian is with her parents on the census.
www.familysearch.org

1871 census Hawkesbury West Prescott
CAMPBELL
Allen P, 43, b Ont, carpenter and builder
Annabella, 31, Ont
Peter A, 8, Ont
Ellen May, 1, Ont
All Baptist.

Nothing else found.

Posted: 13 Jun 2011 2:03AM GMT
Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1928
about Allan P. Campell Name: Allan P. Campell
Birth Place: Lochiel
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Father Name: Peter Campell
Mother Name: Christy Mcdermid
Spouse Name: Annabella Mclaurin
Spouse's Age: 22
Spouse Birth Place: Lochiel
Spouse Father Name: Donald Mclaurin
Spouse Mother Name: Ellen Forbes
Marriage Date: 25 Sep 1861
Marriage Location: Prescott
Marriage County: Prescott
Archives of Ontario Microfilm: MS940_4

Posted: 13 Jun 2011 12:38PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell. MacLaurin, MacGill
I too have been researching a Campbell family who settled in the West Hawksbury region of Prescott adjacent to Lochiel. In that area known as the Ridge were MacLaurins and Lothiens. The all seemed to be connected and were mostly Baptists.
Here is the family who I am trying to follow but am dead ended at this generation.

The family of John Alexander Campbell and Ann McGill
John Alexander Campbell 1828 Baptist PEI
married Apr.14, 1873
Ann McGill Jan.06,1849 Catholic Vankleek Hill
John 1875 Vankleek Hill
Catherine 1878 Catholic Vankleek Hill
Francis Fredrick Dec.05,1879 Catholic Vankleek Hill
Daniel Apr.18,1882 Vankleek Hill
James Nov.23,1883 Vankleek Hill
Ann M Sep.23,1886 Vankleek Hill
Sarah J Apr.19,1887 Vankleek Hill
Earnest Jul.06,1889 Vankleek Hill
Christina Nov.18,1869 Vankleek Hill
Hilton Oct.10,1895 Vankleek Hill
You will note that John married a Catholic and children were raised as Catholics. John's mother was a MacLaurin who married an Alexander Campbell who emigrated from PEi where John was born.

Posted: 20 Jun 2011 11:35AM GMT
Thank you for this.
Rob Campbell

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 5:23PM GMT
Have you seen or do you have a copy of the book The Campbells and other Glengarry-Stormont and Harrington Pioneers? There is a lot of info about your Campbells in it, unfortunately not about Peter A. Campbell and Margaret Lothian. I am researching the Lothians, but as yet, don't have this lineage. Most of these Campbells and Lothians lived in Breadalbane.

I found the lineage of John Wilbur Campbell and his wife Emma Christina Campbell. If you have an email address I can photocopy and scan from the book. Sylvia Lothian

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 6:07PM GMT
Breadalbane Baptist Church Cemetery, Breadalbane, Ont.
Cemetery recordings by Alex W. Fraser
In Loving memory of Allan P. Campbell born Sept. 24, 1827 died Mar. 11, 1898
Also his wife, Anna Bella McLaurin, born Sept. 1, 1839 - died Dec. 19, 1907
Their children, Allan Peter, born Sept. 12,1862 died May ? 1875,
Daniel born Apr. 12,1866 - died Sept. 8, 1866
Daniel Fred, born Aug. 26, 1867 - died Oct. 5, 1968.
Ellen Mary, born Jan. 19, 1870 - died Mar. 30, 1872
CAMPBELL

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 2:24AM GMT
Thankyou for this information but I am well aware and possess a copy of the volume in question. Emma and John were my paternal grandparents. Their son Sidney was my father. I am the eldest son of Ruth and Sidney Campbell. John Campbell was the eldest son of Peter A. Campbell and Margaret Lothian, daughter of John Lothian and Margaret Campbell. I am in possession of the family Bible that came from Margaret Campbell to her daughter Margaret Lothian to her son, my grandfather John Campbell, then to my father and lastly to me. Some good information in the middle re family in the 1800's.
Rob Campbell

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 2:33AM GMT
My query is about Peter A. Campbell born 15 of June 1862 and father of John Wilbur Campbell born April 1 1880. Peter A. Campbell was married to Margaret Lothian born Oct. 2 1859. I can find nothing definite about Peter's origin.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 1:26PM GMT
In my search for my Campbell roots, I came across a Peter Campbell born in 1863, who was the son of John Alexander Campbell (possibly my great grandfather) and Sebria Grout. The Grouts were from around the West Hawksbury area known as the Ridge which was in close proximity of Breadalbane. Sebria must have died as John went on to marry Ann McGill of Vankleek Hill.
John Alexander Campbell may have been the father of my Grandpa Campbell, Alexander ("California") Campbell who was an illegitimate child born to Christine Mary MacLeod in 1852.
John Alexander was the son of Alexander Campbell b.1794 and Catharine MacLaurin b.1794 and who immigrated to Glengarry Co ON from PEI.
If this is relevant to your Peter Campbell, please let me know as it will also help me to verify my findings re the Campbell family. I am trying to trace their ancestry back to Scotland.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions