Search for content in message boards

Whiting

Whiting

Marianna Willliams (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whiting, Anderson
Henry Anderson m. Frances Ann Whiting 1839 in Faquier county, VA. Frances Horner m. George B. Whiting in 1807. Believe Frances had sisters named Elizabeth and Harriet. Do these Whiting names ring a bell for anyone?

Change of e-mail address

Posted: 24 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2004 12:14PM GMT
Please note change of e-mail address.

Re: Whiting

Muriel Horner (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2002 8:42PM GMT
Frances Harrison Horner, oldest surviving daughter of Dr. Gustavus B. Horner by his wife Frances Harrison, was born 10 June 1791 in VA, probably in Fauquier Co. She married in May 1807 probably in the same VA county to George Braxton Whiting, who was born in 1783 in Frederick Co., VA. They had eight Whiting children: Francis Henry, Elizabeth Braxton, Frances Ann, Mary Blair, George Carlyle, Harriet Peyton, Fenton Berkeley, & Henrietta Clay.

Would like to exchange further information.

Posted: 5 Aug 2002 8:03PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2004 12:14PM GMT
Surnames: Whiting, Anderson
How wonderful! My connection is lateral, not vertical. I am descended from William Anderson, brother of Henry. Francis Ann Whiting m. Henry Anderson in Fauquier Co., VA 21 October, 1839. They then removed to Madison County, Illinois, where they had 5 children:
Mary Francis, b. 1841, m. Alex Bentley
Rose Sullivan, b.1843, m. Samuel Denton
Henry, b. 1845 may have died before 1850 as he does not appear on that Census.
George William, b. 1846, no other information.
Richard Horner, b. 2 July 1850

They then removed to Dubuque, IA where the 1850 Census shows:
From the 1850 Dubuque, Iowa Federal Census:
Henry Anderson 35 male Lumberman 2500 NY
Frances A. Anderson 34 female VA
Mary F. Anderson 9 female IL
Rosina Anderson 7 female IL
Richard H Anderson 5 male IL
Geo. W. Anderson 4 male IL
Elizabeth B. Whiting 36 female VA
Harriet P. Whiting 22 female VA
From St. John's Episcopal Church, Harriet married Chas. W. Irwin 31 July 1851. Not confirmed: 2 children: Frank and Harriet Ludlow.

Records from St. John's Episcopal church in Dubuque which I have been unable to match with any of these Whitings

From the records of St. John's Episcopal Church in Dubuque: Richard Whiting Anderson, b. 2 July 1850, bapt. 5 Jan 1851. From the burial records of the Dubuque City Cemetery: Anderson, son of H. P. 1y 5m, buried 16 August 1855 m report of 31 Aug 1855, summer complaint.
Other Whitings from St. John's and Dubuque burial records:
Frederick Edward, adult, bapt. June 20, 1858.
Frederick E., d. June 28, 1858, age 42, bur. Eagle Point
From the burial records of the Dubuque City Cemetery:
Whiting, Jessie, age 14d, buried 4 Feb 1865, sex: C (sic) report of 28 Feb 1865, Bowel Complaint

Have also found other information at:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/8415/harrison.html

The Andersons were descended from John (Jan) Anderson from Scotland or Ireland. They settled in Begen Co. New Jersey. They were Dutch Reformed. Henry was b. in N.Y. ca. 1815 and died in Dubuque, IA 8 Feb 1879.
Obituary of Henry Anderson from the Dubuque Daily Times, 11 February 1879:
Died, February 8, at 11:40 o'clock p. m., in this city, Henry Anderson, aged 63 years, 11 months and 13 days. Mr. Anderson was born in the city of New York and came west in 1832. He first located in Illinois, but removed to Dubuque in 1849, and engaged in the lumber trade. In 1852 he entered the grocery business, with Robert Mitton, Esq., and opened on the corner of Fifth and Main streets. That firm soon after dissolving, Mr. Anderson bought out Mr. Geo. W. Burton, then doing business on the corner of Fourth and Main, where Mr. Melhop now is, where he conducted a most prosperous wholesale grocery trade for a number of years. While doing business here he took into his employ the two Rosenbaum boys, now two of the best and most responsible business men of Chicago and who largely acquired their business habits and education from Mr. Anderson. In 1860, Mr. Anderson moved to Cedar Falls and engaged in a general mercantile trade. In 1868 he again changed to Manchester, where he was in the grain trade. From there, in 1877, he removed to Chicago and entered the house of Rosenbaum Bros. as book-keeper. His health began to fail about a year ago. Three months ago he came to Dubuque, in hopes that a change of air might restore him to health. But alas! it was too late. He died of cancer of the stomach. Retaining his mind to the last he died without a struggle, as quietly as a child going to sleep. Mr. Anderson leaves a wife and four children, three sons and one daughter, all grown. They are all here except one son, who is in California. Mr. Anderson has ever been an active and energetic business man, and has done his full share in building up the northwest to what it is to-day. He was a whole-souled, genial man, a warm friend, with his heart in his hand. Funeral today at 2 p. m. from the residence on Fourteenth street.

I have no information on the death of Francis. A lot of these folks move to Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Thanks for your information.

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Horner, Lovell
I saw a 26 Jul 2002 posting inquiring about Frances Harrison Horner. Hope you are still reachable after all these years. I know of a great book with lotz of info on many Horners. Pls respond if you are interested. My ancestor is Dr. Frederick Horner, m. Anna Marie Lovell, & down through their son who moved to Texas John Galle Horner(brother of your Frances Harrison Horner). I know lotz about Dr Frederick, but know very little about John Galle (my great-grandfather).

Jonelle Horner Meredith

Posted: 2 Apr 2007 4:06PM GMT
Wd be happy to exchange further info. This is all new to me. Will try to reach you. Lotz written about Gustavus Brown Horner, but I can't find much at all on his son, Dr
Frederick. Am really interested in Dr Fredk's wife, Anna Marie Lovell & descendants. I found them on 1850 & 1860 census.
Jonelle Horner Meredith

Re: Horner, Lovell

Posted: 3 Aug 2007 12:56AM GMT
Dear Jonelle:
My husband is descended from the brother ("Gov." John Scott Horner, b. 1803 in Warrenton, VA) of your Dr. Frederick Horner (wife Anna Marie Lovell). For nearly 40 yrs. have been trying to find out what happened to all Dr. Frederick Horner's sons some of which disappeared down in Brazos Co., TX of which John Galle Horner was one! -- I have a new email address which will appear here. Muriel Horner

son of Dr Frederick Horner & Anna Marie Lovell

Posted: 3 Aug 2007 4:08PM GMT
I have found a good bit written on Dr Gustavus Brown Horner (father of Dr Fred'rk), not much on Dr Fred'rk, nothing on my g-grandf John Galle Horner (except info from my aunt). Can't find much to connect my g-grandf to my grandfather (John Severe Horner--whom I knew well), tho my aunt signed J.S. death certificate & named J.G. as his father. Hayden's book, VIRGINIA GENEALOGIES, incorrectly lists my g-grandf John Galle Horner as John S. I found another brother, Richard B, on a census in Texas. Sure am glad I bought a copy of that 1891 book long ago. It's really expensive now, but wd be worth it. If you care to have info on John Galle Horner (4th child of Dr Fred'rk & Anna Marie), I'd be happy to supply. I wd enjoy info on your husband's ancestor. I saw an interesting sketch on the Internet about him. I wd love to have info on Anna Marie Lovell--especially the French connection. I do not for sure know who her parents are. My grandf had name John Severe H. & then his dad, John Galle H. Wd love to know where the Severe & Galle names came from. Have had a few leads, but nothing panned out. I think Anna Marie's mom was named Alice. Page 262 of Hayden's book really confuses me. Wd enjoy hearing from you. Jonelle Horner M. mere8@sbcglobal.net

Re: son of Dr Frederick Horner & Anna Marie Lovell

Posted: 6 Aug 2007 6:14PM GMT
Dear Jonelle: I'll reply briefly here so that others know some of "our" joint ancestry. (By "our", I mean yours and my husbands.) We purchased a reprint of Rev. Hayden's "VA Genealogies" in 1970 for $25., so have all that info. -- It appears that you are not aware of Dr. Frederick Horner's book entitled the "Blair, Bannister & Braxton Families"? This latter was published either shortly before or after Dr. Frederick's death. Anyway, this book covers a more detailed story of the Horner family of Warrenton as they interwove with the above named 3 "B" families. --The first names of Severe & Galle in your Horner descent come from the Lovell side of the wife of Dr. Frederick. I will be happy to provide further info in private emails. M.A.Horner

Re: Family Record of Dr Frederick Horner & Anna Marie Lovell

Posted: 6 Aug 2007 6:58PM GMT
The "Family Record" of Frederick Horner & Anne Maria Lovell who were married at Coppermine, Culpeper City, VA in July 1835. (Married either the 10th or 14th--carbon copy is unclear. This 3 typed page record is at the Richmond, VA Historical Society in the Clarissa Fleming collection.) -- Frederick was born at Warrenton, VA, 18th Aug. 1806, the son of "Gust." B. & Frances H. Horner; Anne Maria, daughter of Wm. L. & Alice M. Lovell, was born at Foxneck, Culpeper City, 29th Aug. 1816. -- Their Horner children: 1st dau. Frances Scott was born at Walnut Hills, Mississippi on 27th April 1837. Their 1st son Frederick Thornton was born at Coppermine, VA on 17th July 1839 & named so "at the especial request of my sister Marianna". The 2nd son Gustavus Brown was born at Warrenton, VA on 27th March 1842. Their 3rd son "Seavie" Lovell was born at Warrenton on 22nd July 1844 & "was named after the two maternal grandfathers". The 4th son Robert C. was born at Warrenton on 8th March 1848 & "was named after his mother's uncle Robt. Lovell". 5th son John Galle was born at Warrenton on 4th Sept. 1849. 6th son Richard Brown was born at Warrenton on 8th Dec. 1851. Their 2nd daughter Marianna was born at Warrenton, VA on 21st April 1854.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions