Search for content in message boards

Alexanders Originally from Menstrie, Clackmannanshire, near Stirling, Scotland

Alexanders Originally from Menstrie, Clackmannanshire, near Stirling, Scotland

Lisa Ing (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2000 4:06PM GMT
The Alexanders are originally from Menstrie, Clackmannanshire, near Stirling, Scotland. They then relocated to Ireland for a short while.
James emigrated from the Laggan Valley, Raphoe, County Donegal Ireland. Anyone with info on this Alexander line please email me at southshore2@juno.com
Looking for cousins!

Alexander's of Sterling

Cal Alexander (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2000 12:32PM GMT
My ancestors immigrated from Stirling Scotland in 1640. John Alexander came to America with his three sons George, John and Thomas. They settled in Windsor,Conn. Later generations lived in Mass.,Vermont,New Hampshire, Illinois and Utah. Drop me a note if you think there is any relation.

Alexanders of Stirling Scotland

Posted: 12 Feb 2000 8:48PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 1:49AM GMT
James Alexander,weaver of Somerst and Cecil Co.MD.died in New Munster area of Cecil Co. after 1740. It is reasonable to assume that he was the same James who "transported" to Somerset county in 1678.(Index of Early Settlers Vol 1 Land Office,Annapolis) and that he was close kin to the other Alexander Pioneers. However,no land or court record has been found of him in Somerset county. In fact the first record concering James is found in the deed of Thomas Stevenson to the Alexanders in 1714 and again in 1718.
In these deeds James,weaver,and son Moses were joint grantees to their land which laid just south ot the Mason-Dixon line,on the east bank of the Elk River adoining the land of David Alexander. In 1725,he was an executor of the will of John Garner and the same year he and his son Moses joined in addressing a petition to the Assembly (a number of New Munster Alexanders also signed this document). In 1735, James and Moses sold land and in 1736 he sold more land to his son Moses. He probably died soon thereafter for no further records concering him are found.
Only two children of James,weaver are of record, Namely Moses and James jr.The former became his father's heir and took over his unsold land. Nothing is known of James Jr. except that he was charged with ground rent on the tract "New Munster" in 1739. Reverand James Alexander He was a minister of the Convoy Congregation,County Donegal Ireland,from 1678 to his death in 1704. It is believed he was first a minister of Raphoe congregation County Donegal, for a time between 1640 and 1678. Both congregations are in the Raphoe Presbytery. Laggan Presbytery. The Alexander family of New Munster were orginally settled in Scotland. About the time of James I they, together with a large number of Presbyterians, migrated to Ireland and settled in Ulster. During the latter part of the seventh centry several Alexanders migrated to America and setled in Cecil and Somreset Co. Maryland. The children of Reverand James Alexander of Raphoe,Ireland and of the Laggan Presbytery who's children came to America on the good Ship Welcome that anchored in the Delaware River in 1679. There was and Alexander family in Somerset Co. as early as 1666.Joseph Alexander of New Munster married Abigail Mcknitt and one of his sons was John Mcknitt Alexander.Rev.James Alexander and Mary Maxewll,Laggan Presbytery,Donegal,Northern Ireland.Rev.James and family settled 1707 in "The Wood" between the branches of the Elk River. His 90 acre plantation "Glascow" adjoined "Bullen's Range"; on a tract laid out for Samuel Alexander (son of Rev.James Alexander and Mary Maxwell) ,called "Sligo; "High Spaniola(Hisponolia)"covering 900 acres in which both John McKnitt Sr. and John Mcknitt Jr.,had an interest;and John/Jean Brevard's "Charles Camp". All were adjioning and all were located within a mile of the western terminus of the present Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, wher Back creek flowed into what is now the canal, and all within a mile of the Md/Dl boundary. None of these "plantations" were in the New Munster tract at the extreme northern end of Cecil County. Rev.James was born in Bughall Scotland. He went to County Donegal in (what is now) Northern Ireland,ans settled (probably) in Raphaoe. He was active in the Laggan Presbyterian there. His seven sons and two dau. left Ireland for America in the ship Welcome,landing 21 Sep 1670. Rev James and his wife are presumed to have remained in Ireland. Their children settled in Somerset and later in Cecil Co.MD. Some of them going to the New Munster Tract in the extreme northern part of Cecil Co. (in fact part of New Munster was north of the present MD.- PN. boundry) and others settling to the south,still in Cecil Co.,near the western terminus of the present Chesapeake and DL.Canal.
He went to County Donegal in (what is now) Northern Ireland,ans settled (probably) in Raphaoe. He was active in the Laggan Presbyterian there. His seven sons and two dau. left Ireland for America in the ship Welcome,landing 21 Sep 1670. Rev James and his wife are presumed to have remained in Ireland. Their children settled in Somerset and later in Cecil Co.MD. Some of them going to the New Munster Tract in the extreme northern part of Cecil Co. (in fact part of New Munster was north of the present MD.- PN. boundry) and others settling to the south,still in Cecil Co.,near the western terminus of the present Chesapeake and DL.Canal.
James father was Robert Alexander b. 1610 Stirling Scotland, his father was John Alexander b. abt. 1590 in Tarbert, Kintyre, Ireland. John being my 10th great grandfather. Do you see any connections here?

Alexander Genealogy

Posted: 13 Feb 2000 7:13PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2001 4:49PM GMT
Lisa,John is your 10th great grandfather and he is my 11th. Can you tell me where you got your information. I need clarification on John's ancestors as well as his descendants. Are you aware of the controversy about Rev. James not being the father of the "infamous nine"? Anything you can share with me will be greatly appreciated.

Bob Culp
(512)931-1000

Alexander Lineage

Posted: 15 Feb 2000 7:20PM GMT
I obtained my information from various sources,but my most reliable source was a family member who has done very extensive research in the United States and traveling overseas and documenting our family history.

Rev James and James,weaver, Alexander

J. Brummitt Lacy (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2000 4:10PM GMT
Lisa, I have read your Aleanders of Stirling.
I have difficulty believing it.
I am a descendant of Rev James Alexander and have a list
of all the descendants on my line. A new tract of virgin land
to settlement of the New Munster was issued to Edwin O'Dwire and
fifteen other Irishmen. in the year 1683 This land was transferred
by Thomas Stevenson to Alexanders, among them was James Alexander
and his son, Moses. This deed was dated 1714. Deed Book 5,
page 97,Cecil Co., Md. Dated April 1.1735 records the following
James Alexander, his son Moses, wife Mary, "Selling part of their
tract to William Sample of Chester Co., Pa.
P 9. We know of only two children of James Alexander, but assume
he must have more. His son Moses is of record. His son James
Jr. was on the Rent Roll in New Munster section in 1738.
Page 15, under the caption of Moses Alexander (son of James,weaver)
The exact date of Moses Alexander's birth but know he had reached
his majority by the year 1714 when he in mentioned in the deed
for the New Munster tract.This is from Cecil Co., Deed Book 5
Page 235 bearing dates 1735 and 1736.
I also have lots of information on Menstrie, Stirling, if you
are interested. Joseph is a son of James Alexander. I also have
the descendants of Rev James Alexander.

Jo

Alexander Genealogy

Posted: 18 Feb 2000 4:32PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2001 4:49PM GMT
Jo,

I saw your posting today in response to a message from Lisa. I am a descendant of John b. 1590 (son of Andrew, son of Alexander Alexander b. 1503. I have seen so many different versions and dates for the Alexanders of Menstrie, Sterling, and now the controversy over the father of the "infamous nine". I would really appreciate any information you might have on the subject. Thanks for your consideration!

Bob Culp
Georgetown, Texas

Alexander Family

Posted: 20 Feb 2000 8:04PM GMT
Great to hear from you!!! I would love to see anything you have. Email me at sshore2@bellsouth.net

Alexanders of Scotland and CT

Posted: 20 Feb 2000 8:30PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2003 8:53PM GMT
This is in answer to Cal, I am also descended from John Alexander. Through his son John and then through his daughter Dorothy(Alexander)Stebbins. From there my line goes to her daughter Thankful,who along with her parents and siblings were taken captive by indians in 1704 and marched to Canada.My ancestor, Thankful marrried and remained in Canada. Hope to hear from you soon!

Alexanders of Menstrie

joanne lacy (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2000 2:20PM GMT
Hi Bob
Finally got back to the Alexanders.
Thomas Alexander of Menstrie
Thomas was one of seventeen assessors in a question
between the Abbot of Cambuskenneth and Sir David
Bruce of Clackmannan relating to the division
of certain lands on 3/6/1505/6/ How Menstrie
was aquired by Alexander has not been definitely
ascertained. The lands belonged to the Earl of