Search for content in message boards

Applebys from Roscommon, Ireland

Applebys from Roscommon, Ireland

Posted: 10 Feb 2008 4:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Appleby/Foaley/Golding
I am trying to trace my great great grandparents who came from Roscommon, Ireland. They are Thomas Appleby and Brigit nee Foaley/Feely and they were living there in the 1850s. They had three sons Joseph,Patrick and Michael. For some reason I'm running into a brick wall. Can someone help

Joe Appleby

Re: Applebys from Roscommon, Ireland

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 11:18AM GMT
Sorry, I'm just reading the message board now. My mother was an Appleby from Mt. Eagle, Roscommon. Her father was William born 8/16/1852 in Gloria, Leitrim (next to Roscommon) and he married Mary McLoughlin in Mt. Eagle, Cootehall, Roscommon.

His father was Thomas Appleby born 1820 and his mother was Brigid Feehily Appleby (no date of birth).

Does this help. I didn't have any other information about William's siblings.

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 1:07PM GMT
Joan
Thank you for contacting me. Yes, that is a big help. I was not aware of William and yet it's a name that is in all generations of my Appleby family. Your William would be an older brother of my great grandfather Michael who was born in Roscommon in 1855, There were 4 other brothers, John, Patrick, James and Joseph. There were also three girls Ann, Brigid and Elizabeth. There may have been more children that I'm not aware of. I have a lot more information about where the brothers went to if you're interested.
Where do you live now? Could you share any information you have on the Applebys prior to 1850?
Best regards
Joseph Appleby

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 3:14PM GMT
What was your mother's name?

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 9:02PM GMT
Hi, let me introduce myself. I'm Joan Murphy nee Joan Sheehan. My mother Margaret Appleby married David Sheehan in Connecticut in 1925. Margaret immigrated with her sister Brigid in 1916. Brigid was 19 and Margaret was 17. They settled in Connecticut, and that is where I live now in Woodbridge. I married and am widowed since 1991. I have six sons all married and 15 grandchildren, so there's a lot of us.

I would like further information on the Appleby family. I looked up the 1901 and 1911 census and could find Applebys in both of those. One was my grandfather William Appleby and listed his wife Mary and all their children. Mary was a McLoughlin from Mt. Eagle, Cootehall, Roscommon and William took over the parcel of land from the McLoughlins. Mary's mother was a Feehily and that's where the connection comes in.

I am still trying to research further down the years, but I get to FHL files and they have limited information. There is a Latter Day Saints genealogical center near me in Woodbridge and I have looked up their microfilm, but you really have to order the films that contain the copies of birth certificates, marriage, death etc.

I will let you know if I find anything. It is exciting to connect with someone. I hadn't thought to check the messages until today.

Send me your name and I can give you access to my files.

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 9:05PM GMT
My mother was Margaret Appleby and married David Sheehan. The Sheehan family came from New Haven, Connecticut for a few generations.

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 12:56PM GMT
Hi Joan
Very interesting background story.From my side my name is Joseph William Appleby. My great grandfather ,Michael Appleby, left Ireland and settled in Middlesbrough,North Yorkshire. My wife Margaret and I left the UK with our two sons in 1963 and settled in Chattanooga,Tn by way of Canada.
We have 3 children, 10 grandchildren and two great grandchildren. Our Irish ancestors came from Roscommon. Thomas Appleby and Brigid Feehily being the original family of farmers. Incidentally I originally said I was not aware of William but on going through my recent research I did find a baptism that I had printed of William and had failed to enter it on the family tree.
It was intereting to note that the Appleby girls settled in Connecticutt because apparently another Appleby brother,Patrick, that would be William's brother settled in New Haven in the 1890s. You will see this when you view our tree. I wonder if the nieces of Patrick stayed with them when they first arrived?
My email address is boroboy135@yahoo.com. If you will send me your email address I'll send you an invitation to view the Appleby-Duncan family tree.
Sincerely
Joseph W Appleby

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 9:27PM GMT
There are several US immigration events that involve the Appleby surname. The one that I am most familiar with involve three Appleby brothers, reportedly born in Ulster, who immigrated from Ireland prior to the American Revolution. One was James, the other William, and the third John (my wife's ancestor). What happened to James is unknown. John settled in Pennsylvania near Shade Gap (in Dublin Township, Huntingdon Co.) where his family remained for several generations. William initially settled in Pennsylvania, then moved to Georgia, then moved to Tennessee where he died in 1807. John lived until at least 1814 and is presumed to have died in Pennsylvania.

There are only two James Appleby's in the 1790 US census, one in Mt. Pleasant, Westchester Co., NY, and one in Smithfield, Providence County, RI. The latter appears associated with two other Applebys (John and Thomas) who reside in the same community. The James who lived in Mt. Pleasant resided with one free white female and one slave. If this is the third Appleby brother, he may have had no children. However, a 1955 history by T.A. Appleby (posted in an earlier thread in this forum) suggests that "James seems to have drifted into Maryland, and his posterity is now widely scattered." That early history, however, traced William to Georgia but was unaware that he later moved to Tennessee, so such histories need to be checked for accuracy.

There are several Applebys mentioned in pension records for the American Revolution, so we know that more were around.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions