Search for content in message boards

John McGregor Family

John McGregor Family

Posted: 22 Mar 2010 5:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Mar 2010 9:23PM GMT
Surnames: McGregor
I am trying to find out more about John McGregor born 1800 Perthshire Scotland died 1886 in McNab Twp Renfrew Co.,Renfrew On.,buried in Goshen Graveyard. His wife Catherine is listed on her tombstone as McGregor, she could also have been born a McGregor not sure., or if its just her married name. She was born in 1800, in Perthshire Scotland also, and died 1863 in McNab Twp. Renfrew Co. Renfrew On. She is buried in Goshen also. It is believed they settled in McNab,around 1830-1831, believe they were not part of the Lairds group, however they may have been and arrived later than the 1825 group. There are a few families named McGregor buried in Goshen Cemetry, some are related to my family tree, others are not. Catherine was not born a Fisher, or Thomson,they were married to other McGregor's. Some believe her maiden name may have been McDonald if not McGregor. Anyone with info. please reply. Trying too find out more about them as they are my gr.gr.gr. grandparents.

Re: John McGregor Family

Posted: 22 Mar 2010 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 22 Mar 2010 9:23PM GMT

Birth: John McGregor, christened 09 Jan 1802, Fontingall, Perth Scotland, parents: Duncan McGregor & Margaret.

Found a John McGregor married a Catherine Dewar 02 Feb 1833 at Fortingall, Perth Scotland.
Both names are very common and there are other marriages but not in Fortingall.

1851 census Horton Tsp, Renfrew County
McGREGOR
John, b Perth Scotland, 50, farmer
Katherine, b Perth Scotland, 48
Duncan, b Horton, 18, works on farm
Gregor, 16, "
John, 15, "
Kathrine, 13, "
Margaret, 10, "

On Duncan's marrige registration, 1893 Renfrew to Miriam Hart, parents are given as Duncan McGregor & Catherine McGregor.

Gregor's death registration gives mother as Catherine McGregor.

Posted: 22 Mar 2010 6:41PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2010 9:24PM GMT
Satch42179.
Thankyou for info.on McGregor family. Definitely my branch,but some confusion. Still don't know whether Catherine was born a McGregor or not. Also their son Duncan born 1833 married Marion Barr Hart definitely way before 1890's. Their son Duncan Junior born 1867 married Emma Quait in the 1890's. Their oldest child my grandmother Marion Louise McGregor was born in 1900.

Re: McGregor Family

Posted: 22 Mar 2010 10:10PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 22 Mar 2010 10:17PM GMT
Something is strange here.

1881 census Horton Renfrew
McGREGOR
John, 80, Scotland, widow
Duncan, 44, Ont
Gregor, 41, Ont
John, 40, Ont
Catherine, 38, Ont
Margaret, 35, Ont
This is the same family as on 1851 census.

Next door is:
HART,
Marion, 34
Duncan, 10
William, 10
Archibald, 5
All born Ontario

1871 census McNab Renfrew
HART
Archibald, 26, Scotland
Janet, 28, Scotland
Agnes Fraser, 6, Ont
Archibald, 5, Ont
Hellen Read, 2, Ont
John Wallace, 1/12 March
Marion, 25, Scotland
And the last two entries for the family are:
Duncan McGregor and William McGregor, B July 1870, 9/12

1891 census Horton Renfrew
McGREGOR
Duncan, 52, b Ont
Gregor, 50, Ont
John, 48, Ont
Catherine, 46, sister, Ont
Margaret, 44, sister, Ont
Marion Hart, lodger, 50, Scotland
Wiliam McGregor, 20,lodger, Ont
Duncan ",20, lodger, Ont
Archibald, 15, ", "
Alexander, 8, ", "
Andrew, 8, ", "

I don't think they were married until 1893 as the registration stated. Wonder why they waited so long.

1901 census Horton Renfrew
McGREGOR
Duncan, 7 Mar 1833, 68, farmer
William, 8 July 1872, 28, Ont
Archey, 5 Jan 1878, 23, Ont
Andrew, 15 July 1883, Ont
Alexander, 15 July 1883, Ont
Jannett, McG, domestic, 4 Mar 1890, 10, Scotland, immigrated 1895.

Birth registrations from Ancestry.ca
Duncan and William HART, illegitimate, mother Marion Barr Hart, 20 July 1870.
These dates are 1870 but the rest of the registrations [6] are for 1871.
Those are the only registrations I can find for any of the children.

Marriage:
Thomas Hart, 30, b 1864, s/o Duncan McGregor & Marion Hart, married Mary Wilson, 25 Apr 1894, Renfrew.
Who was he living with on census?

Other marriages are under McGregor
William McGregor s/o Duncan McGregor & Marion Hart married Mary Wilson Hart, 1 May 1907, Renfrew.

Andrew McGregor, 27, s/o as above, married C Norman McNevin 16 May 1910, Renfrew.
The registration definately says Norman. Maybe Norma?

Death:
Marion McGregor died 21 Feb 1900 of heart failure, informant: Duncan McGregor, Renfrew.

Catherine McGregor died 4 May 1907, d/o John McGregor of inflammation of the lungs, informant: Duncan McGregor. Renfew.

Margaret McGregor died 4 Apr 1903 of general debility,inf: Duncan McGregor, Renfrew.

Thomas Hart, 36, died 29 Jan 1899, inflammation of lungs, informant: William Wilson. Renfrew.

1881 census McNab Renfrew
A Thomas Hart, 18, is living with Helen Hart, 74; John 21; Annie 30; Margaret 15; Jeannie F 1.
No relationships are given on this census.

1871 census McNab there is also a Thomas Hart living with Archibald and Hellen Hart.

HOpe this helps some.

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 12:09AM GMT
Satch 42179.
This is very interesting and highly confusing. Also a little astonishing if correct considering they were strict Scots Presbyterians. Some does not make sense. My third great grandfather couldn't have all his married children living with him up until his death, also his son my gr.gr.grandfather had bought and moved into a large stone house in the 1860's that was a separate property from his father's. Also on his property was situated another house originally used by family, so on the census it would show up in 1870's on as if everyone was living in one residence. The house was large but that seems to weird. I'm very confused. Gr.Gr. grandpa Duncan was married to a Marion Barr Hart, and Gr. grandpa to a Emma Quait. Still not sure if gr.gr.gr. grandma was born a McGregor or another surname. I'm totally confused now. Never heard any of this before.

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 1:17AM GMT
Good luck! It is confusing.

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 10:07AM GMT
Hope this helps

The Perth Courier Death 5 Jan 1899 Messrs Henry Airth Sr and David Barr to Carleton Place last week to funeral of late Mrs John McGregor who was a sister of late Mrs H Airth and was in her 93rd year…her grandfather on her mother's side died aged 87…mother died aged 92…eldest sister Christina died in old country aged 28 and 1 brother, John died in Horton twp aged 27, but others lived to good old age…Gregor (Horton) to 74, Duncan (Horton) to 82, Jennet (Mrs McNab, Horton) to 92, Margaret (Mrs Peter McGregor, Beckwith) to 63, Bella (Mrs McDonald, Drummond) to 80, Rachael (Mrs H Airth), to 81, and Miss Katie (Horton) now 87 only survivor (Renfrew 'Mercury')

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 12:02PM GMT
This sounds like it could be some of my family, but there were other McGregor families in the area at the same time, not related. Do you have Duncan McGregor married to Marian Barr Hart, Duncan McGregor Jr. his son to Emma Quait. If so please reply. This would be my tree. The names Duncan, archibald,Alexander etc. are common in many Scots families.

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 1:04PM GMT
Apart from what I had sent, there is no other combinations of McGregor and Hart or Quait that show up in the Perth Courier.

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 5:59PM GMT
Thankyou for your assistance. If they had family members with the Quait and Hart surnames in the tree then they are my family. On my original queries, I made a mistake in Twp.'s, because McNab and Horton literally lie next to each other and one side of the highway is McNab where some of my ancestor's were born, and Horton the other side of the highway where others resided. My McGregor's resided in Horton next to McNab and were buried in Goshen along with other McGregor's from McNab.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions