Search for content in message boards

Generoux from LaPointe

Generoux from LaPointe

Posted: 4 Sep 2005 12:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GENEROUX; GENERY
Looking for information about family last name Generoux on the 1880 census of LaPointe. It appears from later enteries for this family that they were part Native American. Does anyone have any information on that. My ancestor married into this family and it appears had little to do with the rest of her family after that point. This was 1880s. She is shown on census as married to Henry Generoux. Her name was Olive L.Justice, whose family also lived at Lapointe. I find her 20 years later in Milwaukee spelling her name Genery and also all of the children are now spelling it that way and she is a widow. Does anyone have any publications or information about the Generoux family and their native american history?

Re: Generoux from LaPointe

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 4:02PM GMT
Not related but I was doing some research on the 1920 census of Wisconsin, Ashland County, Bad River Indian Reservation and saw several Generoux surnames. Hope this helps

Posted: 22 Aug 2006 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: Generoux, Stoffles
I believe you may have had some good replies about this family, especially the one who gave you a web site. There are two good web sites, and one (the Native American one )gave me the first information about "Grandma" Mary Adams since my grandmother told me about her in the Sixties. My branch is not linked to the Native peoples, unfortunately, but they knew about her. My grandmother, Mary Stoffles, was the granddaughter of Mary Adams, and it took me forever to find the info to prove that Grandma knows right. There is a good site (I would have to look it up if anyone is interested) that takes the Genereux (note spelling) back through Quebec and to several places in France in the early 1600s. One site has notes about how they came to Canada. My grandma was born on Mataline Island, and I am forever looking for more info. I find it harder to find info about her father, Jacob Stoffles than her mother's (Rose Generoux) people. If anyone wants info on Generoux/Genereux I can get it from my files at home. Don Roberts

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 12:20PM GMT
Surnames: Generoux
Though your post on the Generoux family at LaPointe is from 2006, I thought I'd take a chance. Hilaire Generoux was married to Sophia Lamoureux before Jane Adams. Hilaire and Sophia had a son, Hilaire Generoux aka Eli Genery born in 1846 at Riviera Sauteux which was in Minnesota Territory. He was baptised at LaPointe. Long story but I am trying to find his death information, date, place and where buried. We would like him to have a military headstone for his service in the Michigan Infantry during the Civil War. Can you help with that? Sophia Lamoureux was my ggg grandmother. Thank you. Judy from Michigan

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 4:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2012 4:00PM GMT
Surnames: GENEREUX
In the "Liber Defunctorum" (death registry) for St. Joseph Mission (La Pointe) and Holy Family Catholic Church (Bayfield)[edited and compiled by Linda Bristol, Bayfield, WI, 1994] there is this entry:

Nov. 30, 1880
Hilarii Genereux, age ca 65 years
Died: Nov. 27, 1880.
Parents: blank
Cemetery: La Pointe.
Priest: Eustace Vollmer
Priest's notation: "Drowned in the Lake"

The cemetery "La Pointe" probably means the cemetery adjacent to St. Joseph's although it is possible it could mean the "Old Catholic Cemetery" at the original mission site south of the marina.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 5:44PM GMT
Surnames: Genereux
Thank you for your response. The Hilaire that downed in 1880 is the father to the Hilaire aka Eli Genery I am looking for. The Hilaire you mentioned was my ggg grandfather. His son is my ggg uncle who served in the Civil War. We want him to have a Civil War military headstone and can't find him after 1883 when he was in Michigan. Again, Thank you.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: GEREROUX; GENERY
hello
I am still working on parts of the same family. Eli's brother Henry E born in 1850 (or is Henry E really Eli?) was married to a gggaunt in the Justice family tree, she was named Olive Louise Justice Gardner (part of the mystery - her father appears to be a Gardner but she was raised by a Justice). Henry would have died before 1890, he was listed as the lighthouse tender in Ashland in 1888-1889. Thereafter she was listed as a widow. His family took the name Genery from that point forward it seems.

Here is my tree link
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/22610099/person/1278075939

Will keep my eyes open for Eli if you can point me to your tree

Barb

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 12:18PM GMT
Barb,
First, I don't have a tree on Ancestry. My stuff is all in books that I've done.

Before Louis Hilaire married Mary Jane Adams he was married to Sophia Lamoureux daughter of Francois Lamoureux and Maria Kadjidgi. They married at LaPointe in 1839. They had 4 children: Maria b. 23 Jul 1840; Catherine b. 30 Jan 1842; Louisa b. 1 Mar 1844: Hilaire aka Illare aka Eli b. 15 May 1846. Sophia died 1846 or 1847. Louis Hilaire then married Mary Jane Adams in 1848. She was from Rivieria du loop. Louis Hilaire drowned 27 Nov. 1880 at LaPointe. Angelique, the 3rd wife's maiden name was Lagros. I descend from Louisa from the first marriage. Illare aka Hilare, ada Eli from the first marriage is who I'm seaching for death information. Oh, Louis Hilaire was born 25 Aug. 1814 in Berthierville, Berthier Co. Quebec, St. Genevieve de Berthier. It's hard to find death records in Wisconsin as it was not required in those times that they be recorded with the State. Have to depend on Church records.
Hope some of this info gives you some help. Best, Judy from Michigan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions