Search for content in message boards

Bedell's in Springfield Missouri

Bedell's in Springfield Missouri

Posted: 24 May 2008 1:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am a Afro-American women. The Bedell families in Springfield Missouri where slaves their in 1800's. There is suppose to be a White Bedell's line in Springfield Missouri also. I am trying to found out as much as possible about the Bedell name and who I may be kin to.

Re: Bedell's in Springfield Missouri

Posted: 25 May 2008 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: David Beldell
I am a descendant of David Bedell of the Springfield Missouri Bedells. He was a Revolutionary War Veteran and is buried just north of Springfield in a cemetery which is now on private property. There are also slaves buried in that cemetery. Is this your first contact with this family? I will forward your inquiry to two others from our family.

Posted: 30 May 2008 4:10AM GMT
Dear Roxy,
We had a wonder family historian, Lucille Headlee Chrisman, who lived to be 101. This information is from her research. Much of her info was from her grandfather Lucus Bedell.
"Belonged to Marina Wallis and David Hudson Bedell:
Leanah b. later part of 1818 (probably North Carolina, Berke or Iredell Co) came to Mo with white Bedells in 1834.
Julia Ann b. 1/26/1839 (some other info I have is that Julia was sent to family in Texas
Betsey Lucretia b. 2/5/1841
Nathan Green b. 1/12/1843
Logan Henderson Bedell b. 2/9/1845
James (Jim)Monroe Bedell b. 11/19/1846
William Hiram (Hi)Bedell b. 4/16/1849
Milla (Millie) Narcissa b. 3/8/1851
Eliza Catherine Bedell b. 4/22/1853 m. Crittenden
Enos Hildon Bedell b. 3/30/1886 (son of Millie)

They have many descendants are are honorable.Lucus Bedell's aunt Matilda Wallis "Polly" took them to north Arknasas (Fayetteville?) during the Civil War. Bedells and Wallises helped them after the war. Lucille was told: "One Logan served in Federal Army, later buried at National Cemetery, moved to Hazlewood cemetery at request of his family.
Enos said: "We were raised by Good folks. We taught our children manners."
There is another contact I can send you directly. There are many honorable Bedells in both our families.
Margaret

Posted: 30 May 2008 4:52AM GMT
Dear Roxy,
I have some great info from the web, but I can no longer access the sites. They seem to have been archived. I have hard copies and will have to type them up. I can post them here in a couple of days.
Margaret

Posted: 31 May 2008 5:41AM GMT
Roxy, this is one of the articles. More to follow.

Mississippi State
Bedell_Crittenden Families
To: African American Roots afirgeneas@MsState.Edu
Subject: BEDELL_CRITTENDED Family
Date: Fir, 2 Oct 1998 01:46:43 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: owner-afrigeneas@Lists.MsState.edu
############################################################################
Ozar’kin, Vol. V, No. 1, Spring 1983
By: Mrs. Ora E. Logan
Editor’s note: Mrs. Ora Elizabeth LOGAN is the daughter of Alberta Northcutt
ELLIS and a ggrandaughter of George and Eliza (Bedell) CRITTENDEN.

David Hudson BEDELL and his father David BEDELL, who had been a soldier in the American Revolution, arrived in Green County, Missouri, in January 2834. They came by covered wagon from Baird’s Forge in Burke County, North Carolina and settled in the vicinity of Ebenezer, about 10 miles north of Springfield. The wife of David Hudson BEDELL was Marina WALLIS whose family also settled in that area. The Bedell and Wallis families homesteaded many acres north of, and including, Crystal Cave, and became prosperous farmers.

Leanah BEDELL, a family slave, accompanied the Bedells to Missouri. Leanah was thought to have been born ine latter part of 1818 in North Carolina. She had nine children: Julia Ann, born January 26, 1839; Betsy Lucretia, born February 5, 1841; Nathan Greene, born January 12, 1843; Logan Henderson, born February 9, 1845; James Monroe, born November 19., 1846; William Hiram, born April 16, 1849; Millie Narcissa, born March 8, 1851; Eliza Katherine, born April 22, 1853; and Enos Hildon, born March 30, 1856. The slave children of Leanah were given the surname “BEDELL” as it was customary for slaves to have the name of their masters.

As the black Bedell children grew, they farmed and worked alongside the white Bedell and Wallis families and became a close knit unit. The group built a log church (Old Salem Methodist) and both black and white worshipped together.

By the time the Civil War broke out the Bedell and Wallis families had accumulated a large portion of north Green County. One of the Bedells was known to say that an aunt took some of the black Bedells to Fayetteville during the Civil War to keep them from being forced into the Union Army. However, it was reported that Logan BEDELL was involved in the battle at Wilson’s Creek, south of Springfield.

Following the death of David Hudson Bedell, April 7, 1869, the Bedells found it necessary to divide their property, including slaves. The family members decided to sell the slaves within the family to keep them together, with the exception of Julia Ann who was sold and shipped to Texas. Some descendants of Julia are reported to be living in the Fort Worth - Dallas area. (There are conflicting stories as to why Julia was sold. )

Details of the slave sale are as follows: Marina BEDELL, widow of said David H. BEDELL< chose to take as her dower slaves Leanah and Nathan, at their valuation, being $1,550, leaving a balance of $5, 850 to be divided among their heirs as follows:
Allotted to Myra E. Wallis: girl Betsy age 16 $1,150
To Sarah L. Alsup: boy Logan age 15 1,050
To Mellissa girl Lisa age 7 650
To Mahion L. Bedell boy James age 13 950
To Allen L. Bedell boy William Hiram age 11 850
To Matilda girl Narcissa age 9 700
To Charles W. Bedell boy Enos age 4 500

All the above slaves owners were children of David H. Bedell and Marina Wallis Bedell and all of the slaves were kept within the Wallis-Bedell families, except Julia, who was not included in the sale. Those receiving slaves of a higher value were to pay the other heirs so all would have equal value.

George CRITTENDEN, am 18 year old runaway slave born in Izard County, Arkansas, volunteered for the Union Army in Springfield, Mo. He was a cook for the troops during the battle of Wilson’s Creek. George was a close ferend of the RAY family whose house was on the battlefield and in later years members of the Ray family visited George’s family and brought in rabbits, quail and chickens to sell.

After being discharged from the army, George CRITTENDEN, met Eliza BEDELL on the Springfield public square. George and Eliza began a courtship which culminated in their marriage in the late 1860’s. They moved to Springfield, where George worked as a coachman for the Fellows Wagon Factory until he retired.

During the late 1800’s there was a large population of blacks in Springfield and many were involved in various businesses and occupations. After the 1906 Easter Sunday lynching of three blacks, many left their homes and never returned. The Crittenden and Bedell families were among the few who remained.

The Crittendens were among the original founders of Pitts Chapel Methodist Church, now located at Benton and Tampa.

George was prosperous and well respected in the community. By 1920, he owned four houses in the 700 block of North Sherman Street. The family lost all of those houses, except the original home place at 723 N. Sherman, when the FHA came into existence; there was confusion regarding proof of payment and no receipts could be found. George and Eliza had nine children; Lou, Stella, Effie, Orthro, Jess, Margie, Thomas, Ora and Roy.

Posted: 30 Jul 2008 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Newell, Bedell, Cooper, Wallis
My great GrandFather was Allen Lucius Bedell married to Laura Mariah Newell they had six children, one being my GrandMother Minnie Mariah (Bedell) Anderson (sister to Jen (Bedell)Headlee Mother of Lucille Chrisman). GrandMother married Charles Bruce Anderson and their son Prince Mahlon Anderson is my father. (Daddy died 30 June 1988 and is buried here in Greenwood Cemetary, Phoenix, AZ. Both of his parents are buried in Oswego, KS.

I would like to get more information on Allen Lucius his occupation and was he and David Brothers (I am at work and do not have all my papers)

Thanks, Princeline
princeline@earthlink.net

Posted: 5 May 2009 12:23AM GMT
Surnames: Bedell
I show that your Allen is the son of David Hudson Bedell b 1796 d 1860 and married to Marina Wallis. David Hudson was the son of David Bedell b1761 d 1840 and married to Ruth Fairchild. My grgreat grandfather Lewis Bedell was a brother to David Hudson Bedell.

Posted: 5 May 2009 1:25PM GMT
Surnames: Bedell
Dennisa,
I would like to go "offline" and learn more.
I'm at princeline@earthlink.net
I live in Phx, AZ and you?
There is a BEDELL REUNION each summer, I'll tell you more.
Look forward to meeting you via this wonderful ANCESTRY and our computers.
Princeline

Posted: 31 Oct 2009 5:56PM GMT
IM A AFRO-AMERICAN BEDELL MY FAMILY AS FOR AS I KNOW CAME FROM ALABAMA AM TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT ANY FAMILY THAT I HAVE OUT HERE LOKING FOR MY GREAT UNCLE JESSIE LEE, JOHNNY GUFF, WILLIAM COOPER

Posted: 31 Oct 2009 5:56PM GMT
IM A AFRO-AMERICAN BEDELL MY FAMILY AS FOR AS I KNOW CAME FROM ALABAMA AM TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT ANY FAMILY THAT I HAVE OUT HERE LOKING FOR MY GREAT UNCLE JESSIE LEE, JOHNNY GUFF, WILLIAM COOPER
per page

Find a board about a specific topic