Search for content in message boards

STROPES, LOCKWOOD, CHATSEY

STROPES, LOCKWOOD, CHATSEY

Michael Stropes (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

On 05-05-1816 John STROPES married Serida CHATSEY In Knox Co., IN. On 06-05-1816 Adam STROPES married Penelope LOCKWOOD, In Knox County. Adam served in the war of 1812 and settled in Greene Co., IN. His father was Peter STROPES. I do not know how Adam and John are related and do not know what happened to John. Any and all information would be appreciated.ppreciated.

Adam Stropes

Barbara Eggemeyer (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stropes
I saw your message in the Knox Co. surname list. I, too, am looking for the info you mention seeking. I am wondering how you know for sure that Peter is the father of Adam. All the info I have on Peter is below.

CENSUS: First Census of the United States, North Carolina, copyright by R. V. Jackson, Accelerated Indexing Systems, Inc., Salt Lake City, UT, 1978, p. 111 - Heads of Families, Morgan District, Lincoln County - Peter Stroap was the only "Stropes" in either SC or NC in 1790. He had one male over 16, one male under 16, one free white female, and no slaves. This may have been Adam Stropes' father.

BIOGRAPHY: DAR PATRIOT INDEX, Natl. Soc. of the DAR, c. 1967, Washington, DC 1966 - "STROPE, (INCLUDES STROOP, STROUP, & STRUPE) says "Peter b 3-8-1728 d 1-20-1793 m Catherine Armin Pvt PA" and "Adam b c. 1755 d 1797 m Magdalena--Pvt PA." I believe Peter may be Adam Stropes' father, although the article DeniseTwin on AOL had said his presumed son, Adam, was b. in NC in April, 1793, and that his father died while he was an infant. Other sources (listed in the notes previously) say Adam had been b. in TN. Several other Stropeses from PA and one from NC are listed in this book. They do not seem likely candidates for the father of Adam Stropes.

I am wondering how you confirmed Peter was definitely Adam's father.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic