Search for content in message boards

Hamlins from Virginia

Hamlins from Virginia

Treska Wilson-Smith (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2003 1:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hamlin
I am a decendant of the Hamlin family. I know that Dolly Scott Hamlin and her husband, possibly Ned, moved to Amelia County Virginia from Virginia where they lived and had all of their children. They were white. One of their sons by the name of Ned also, sired several children (black) whom he gave his Hamlin name. The childrens names were Ella, Minnie, John and Thomas. All of them are deceased and some of their children are alive today. I am the grand-daughter of Ella. I also know that Ned Hamlin donated land to the "COLOREDS" of Amelia for the first colored church which is Springfield Baptist Church. I beleive that one of the sons of Dolly was a prominent lawyer in Amelia. I also understand that they used toowna sawmill. If you know of any information, please, let me know.

Re: Hamlins from Virginia

Posted: 13 Nov 2003 9:20PM GMT
Edited: 22 Sep 2011 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Hamlin, FLetcher, Hughes
I am a descendant of Sally Scott's daughter Dolly and Ned Hamlin (who as I understand it, was an Attorney). Dolly and Ned had 10 children in Dinwiddie. One daughter was named Margaret Ann "Puss" Hamlin (b. abt 1855-1863), who was married to and had children with Wesley Hughes . Their son, Edward Yates Hughes (1883-1976) was my Great-Grandfather -- whom I remember well from my childhood until his death. My great-grandfather worked in the mill which backs onto Beaver Pond on RT. 153 (now Military Road) as a young man until establishing domicile in Washington, DC with his family around 1900. I don't know if this is the same as the "Toowna" Mill to which you refer.

As a side note:

My Great-grandfather's father-in-law, Beverly Fletcher was Pastor of Union Baptist in Namozine (Dinwiddie) from about 1875-1900.

I have just recently begun organizing my notes from converastions I had with my late, dear grandmother two years ago about her rememberances of the family. I am sure I will clarify more details pre-dating what she recalled and told me (in addition to what is established family history) --all of which I have been able to document thus far through relatively standard research. Obviously the task becomes more demanding as you delve deeper into the history that our great Nation handles so gingerly.

But what a journey it has been...

I would be interested in learning of any specific notations or correspondence that might shed light on this union of two people (Sally Hughes and Ned Hamlin) who obviously had more than a "passing fancy" for one another. Your citation of "COLOREDS" seemed to be just that...a citation. Is this language that you find in print in family documents?

The point now is to give my children more than the 9 generations of family history on this branch they already have.

Posted: 30 Jun 2006 4:46PM GMT
Surnames: hamlin/hughes
hello ,

we are related. my name is nichelle hughes,daughter of lloyd v. hughes,son of eugene and blanche pearl brown hughes,son of annie hughes,daughter wesly hughes and margaret hamlin hughes, daughter of dolly scott and edward n, hughes son of william b. hamlin and anner hamlin,son of john hamlin. and i just learn this in the last week. my father is 81 and never told me much about our family. i did know that some of my relatives are white. and if you see my family it looks like the united nations. everyone has european looks. hoe to here from you soon.

Posted: 1 Jul 2006 1:54AM GMT
hi iam too a descendent. margaret and wesly was my grandfather eugenes grandparents. correction: its dolly scott and edward"ned" hamlin. my fathers name is lloyd v. hughes sr. feel free to email me any time.
nichelle hughes

Mark (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2006 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Hamlin
Indeed it is Dollie Scott. My cite of Sally Hughes was all wrong. I had the census records with Dollie's name at the time but just got that one wrong. Thanks for your reply Nichelle. I'm now looking for more information (parents) for Dollie Scott.

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 2:45PM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Hamlin, Yates
Dolly Scott's mother is said to be Sally Scott who lived with Dolly at least as of 1870 at the age of 70 (b. 1799). The Scott line from Amelia and Dinwiddie is said to be tied to that of Pompey Scott (b. circa 1785). Could Sally and Pompey be siblings? Thomas B. Scott was a physician near Scottsville, VA who is said to have freed his child, Pompey whom he had with an enslaved woman (name unknown). Family oral tradition says Pompey's father did not want his child to be a slave and therefore freed him.

Pompey's son is Anderson (b. circa 1845) of Amelia County.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic