Search for content in message boards

McFalls in Ireland and/or Scotland

McFalls in Ireland and/or Scotland

Posted: 10 May 2010 5:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McFall, Buttles
I've traced our family line back to Malcolm McFall married to Barbara Buttles. We think he was born about 1753, and he died in 1812 in the United States. We've hit a brick wall; can't find names of parents or siblings or who in the family was the first immigrant to the U.S. I'm guessing he might have been a MacPhail in Scotland who emmigrated to Ireland and took the name McFall. But that's a guess. Can someone in Ireland or Scotland help? Malcolm had 12 children, one of them being Robert,another George, a William, a Henry, and John. Girls are Nancy, Sarah, Elizabeth, Catherine, Margaret, and Mary. We cannot find a birth certificate for Malcolm in the U.S. although some say he was born in Pennsylvania. Maybe not. Maybe he was born in Ireland or Scotland?? Please, someone HELP!

Re: McFalls in Ireland and/or Scotland

Posted: 26 May 2010 3:32PM GMT
Dianne,
My ggg Grandfather was born in Vincennes IN in 1786
I have a letter from my g Uncle John W. McFall that says my ggg grandfather John McFall's father came to the US from Ireland with 5 or 6 brothers just prior to the Rev. War and they fought in that war.
It could be this Malcolm McFall is John's Father.
According to the letter written by John W. McFall, the McFall's originated in the Highlands of Scotland and were exiled to Northern Ireland because they were nasty to the British. that is how they became known as Scot-Irish or Ulster Irish.
Let me know if you find anything good, OK?
John Michael (Mike) McFall

Posted: 27 May 2010 6:25AM GMT
Dear Mike,
Thank you so much for your response. My Malcolm did have two sons named John. One was born in 1795, but was drowned in 1806. He had another son whom he named John, born 28 January 1806 in Ohio. This John died somewhere between 1823 and 1827 by a falling tree. Do you think this could be the same family? It rings true that Malcolm could have come to the US from Ireland with 5 or 6 brothers, because there are McFall names found in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Virgina in early US history. I've always thought that there were some brothers who came here together, but settled in different regions. I have that Malcolm was born around 1753 and he fought in the War of 1812, which would have made him 59 at the time. He would have been around 21 if he fought in the Revolutionary War. That's possible! I would be so excited if the numbers and names and places match up. If you have any other clues, please let me know. I can send you my email and we can share details. Does your letter reveal any other names or dates? Thanks so much. Greatly appreciated! Dianne

Posted: 27 May 2010 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: McFall
Dianne,
I am sorry if you get two responses from me. I am having trouble knowing if my query is getting posted or not.
I have attached the letter form my gg uncle John W. McFall.
and yes I believe your Malcolm and ny John could very well be brothers.
And the Malcolm born in 1753 may be the father to both. wouldn't that be great. you may always reach me by email, I know how to use that. mcfallm@elkcity.com
sincerely,
Mike

Posted: 6 Jun 2010 5:25AM GMT
Surnames: McFall, Buttles
Hello,

Malcom McFall is my 3rd great grandfather. I have him born in Ireland in 1753. He died in Cumberland PA 11/6/1812.

I have his wife Barbara Simons Buttles born 3/28/1770 in Cumberland PA and died 8/23/1854. She is interred at the Pioneer Methodist Cemetery in Campbell, OH

I am a direct descendant of Robert McFall their next to the youngest child.

Which of Melcom's children do you descend from?

Posted: 7 Jun 2010 12:58PM GMT
Hi Jeff,
I am not sure yet. I am certain that my gg grandfather was John McFall born in 1796, but I do not know who his father was. do you know the names of Malcoms other children?
here is a good chance that your Robert and my Jhn were brothers.
Mike McFall

Posted: 7 Jun 2010 8:38PM GMT
Hi Mike,

Not sure, you may be correct. Seems right. I have a John B. McFall Born 10/02/1796 in Shannago County PA. He is the oldest of the 12 children. I have no other information on John B.'s wife or children. Nothing on his death.

There names in order, John B.(b.1796), William(b.1797), Nancy Ann(b.1798), Sarah(b.1800), George(b.1801), Elizabeth(b.1803), Henry(b.1804), John(b.1806), Katherine(b.1807), Margaret(b.1809), Robert(b.1810), and Mary(b.1812)

I got this info from Robert's family bible.

Jeff Slater

Posted: 7 Jun 2010 11:26PM GMT
Surnames: McFall
Jeff & Mike,
I have that John McFall b. 10/02/1795, son of Malcom and Barbara died in 1806 from drowning. It would also have been impossible for Malcom's John to be born in Oct 1796 as my William was born 3/5/1797.

Has anyone determined all the family members of Francis McFall & Elizabeth Miller? I know of 4 children but am not sure that that is all there is. I have John, Hugh, Jane & Margaret.

Thanks
Nancy Phillips
(William's line)

Posted: 8 Jun 2010 12:32AM GMT
Hi Nancy,

That makes sense. It's possible I could have transposed the 5 as a 6. I never checked the math. My brother has the family bible. I will have him check to be sure for me.

I'm pretty sure on Barbara though. I have her dying Aug 23rd 1854. She was buried at Pioneer Methodist Cemetery, Campbell, OH. I'm not too far from there. Don't know why I never went to look up the gravesite, but I will now. That's just down the road from Coitsville where Robert settled, and where he is interred. I have visted his gravesite.

I also show William b.3/5/1797. I show him dying in Aug of 1860. Also marrying Catherine Helsel on Jan. 2, 1826. Their eight children I have record of are Celinda - b. Nov 17 1841; William Jr. b. Aug 31 1838; John - b. June 14 1849; Jonas - no birth info; Hannah- b. Oct. 22 1827; Jacob - b. Nov 3 1831; Suzanna Catherina - b. Jan 26 1833; and Ester Racheal - b. Oct. 29 1835.

I don't see a Francis under William'a lineage in my source. Where do you have him?

Jeff Slater

Posted: 8 Jun 2010 12:46AM GMT
Nancy,

Opps, I take that back. I do have a Francis b. 1849, son of George McFall and Elizabeth Augustine. Youngest of 6 children. I list none of his children though.

Jeff Slater
per page

Find a board about a specific topic