Search for content in message boards

Relationship Question in FTM 2009

Relationship Question in FTM 2009

Posted: 9 Feb 2009 5:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am having problems correcting some sibling relationships. the father is showing correctly, as a natural father - his two spouses are causing me grief, the spouses are a mother and step daughter (from mothers previous relationship)the daughter is showing up as step mother to her half siblings ( I want to keep the relationships as half siblings) is this possible in this program?
This may not be the correct forum to post this question. thanks for any help or suggestions. Cammie

Re: Relationship Question in FTM 2009

Posted: 9 Feb 2009 11:17AM GMT
Cammie,

This is the place for this type of question.

If you go to the People, Person space, then select Relationship tab, you can set the correct relationship between children and their parents. Natural, Adoptive, etc.

Russ

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 2:53AM GMT
I'm having the same problem. When I go to the People, Person space, then select Relationship tab, no dropdown menu appears. Help, please.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 4:39AM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2012 2:14PM GMT
This, among other reasons, is why I suggest to never record a person as a step-parent or child in FTM. You end up with relationships that don't make sense and wrong sets of step ancestors and step descendants appearing in reports - and they are not described as such in those reports.

The fix to this problem is NOT to go to the Relationship button in the Person page, but rather to select either the step-child or parent and go to:

Main Menu > Person > Attach/Detach > detach and detach the step parent from the children, so that the step-parent does not show as a parent and only NATURAL blood parent-child relationships exist.

Setting up step children in FTM will lead to unanticipated consequences, as you have discovered.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 2:48PM GMT
Karen,

Are you using FTM2009?

There isn't a dropdown menu, in the People Workspace, Person Tab, the screen changes to show the relationships within that Family Group that your person is in.

Russ

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 4:46PM GMT
Russ, thanks for your reply. Yes, I use FTM 2009. When I went to Help, I looked in the Index and selected Relationship. A dropdown menu appeared entitled "Topics found." I chose "to set the type of relationship", then Display. The instructions are "Open Relationship View [people, person, relationship], then click Reationship dropdown menu, then select relationship type." But no dropdown menu appears.

My problem is simple but inexplicable. For example, I can have entries of successive grandfathers, and then the next one appears as a step-grandfather. I have not entered this person as a step. I cannot find a reason in previous entries why this has happened. This has happened in several instances.

I hoped I could fix these problems through the Help instructions, but they seem to be incorrect.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 5:16PM GMT
Karen,

But, what happens when you go to that "step" person, in the People Workspace, Person View, NOT the FACT tab, but the Relationship Tab, what does it say?

Russ

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 8:24PM GMT
Russ, that worked! Thank you so much.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions