Search for content in message boards

Black Family Cherokee Connection

Black Family Cherokee Connection

Posted: 20 Jun 2011 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Google has a search option that lets you upload a photo and they will search for its location on the internet. There is a photo that is on many, many Black family pages on ancestry.com that indicates that this is a Black family member which is supposedly Cherokee. I found the photo online at http://www.firstpeople.us/photographs2/Black-Bear-and-Moon-E... You can read more about this tribe at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gros_Ventres. The info on wikipedia indicates that the tribe is in Montana and is not Cherokee. I have seen the Cherokee connection on so many Black family pages. Given the fact that the Black family came from Ireland, I would think that for there to be any Native American connection, it would be by marriage. When you look at census records for William David Black, John Haywood Black, etc. there is no indication of a Native American in the family. Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

Re: Black Family Cherokee Connection

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 12:20AM GMT
I have always heard that Israel Black's wife, Elizabeth was a half Cherokee Indian. I have pictures of both Israel and Elizabeth. He does not look Indian, she does. Israel and Elizabeth are my husband's great-great grandparents.

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 5:00AM GMT
How do you find the connection between that native photo you have and the Black family? Have you found something that says that those two people who sure do look like full blooded indians to me....is part white?

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 5:03AM GMT
I have the same myth in my Black family too...however she may look...all research points to an all white family...still many claim that ann black is at least half native american...there just is no proof...until there is...i can't say a thing about her being anything other than white..

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 5:07AM GMT
i exchanged emails with someone who claimed that that photo of Black Bear whatever ..and moon eyes..something..is my ancestors..Ann black and her dad...john black...i about split a gut laughing...i have no clue where that ideal came from...as the photo i have of ann sure doesn't look like that one...and my john black came from scotland..it could be possible she had native blood..she looks it..wear a native necklace in the photo...but if so..it must be her mother..but again..no proof...at all...so the myth still is carried around that she is indian...a princess no less...and that made me laugh more..there are no indian princesses...

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 4:14PM GMT
In the picture of Elizabeth Stringer, Israel's wife, she does look Indian--but I was told she was half. I had never previously heard about any other Indian. I did hear something about maybe there being an Indian princess. I think we are probably on the right track. Seeing the pictures of Black Bear and Moon Eyes makes me a little suspicious.
Do you have pictures of that part of the family? If you have any info I do not, would you be willing to share.
Thanks
Carol

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: BLACK, VANCE, GOLDING, SMITH
There is a Cherokee Indian connection for the BLACK surname.
There was a John Black, my 5th great grand uncle - from Scotland - who married Sarah Jane Golding in North Carolina
and they had 6 childrenm 4 boys, 2 girls in the 1760 to 1780 year range in NORTHERN VIRGINIA. John Black was the
brother to James Black who along with Nancy Jane Vance were
the parents of my 5th great grand mother ELIZABETH BLACK
(April 4, 1765 Wythe (then Augusta Co) VIRGINIA to her
death Dec 10, 1841 Johnson Co. INDIANA. Elizabeth MARRIED
JOSEPH A. SMITH DEC. 19, 1793 near Farmville, Prince Edward County Virginia and they had 9 children.
ANYWAY, the Cherokee connection is one of John and Sarah
Golding's children, John, I believe, went from Tennessee to
Terre Haute Indiana and married a full blood cherokee woman known only as MOON EYES and he soon became "Indian" going
by the name of BLACK BEAR and settling near STILLWATER,OKLA
(Payne County) where I was born March 1, 1948. That is all I really know of the Indiana connection.
Reply to LAUPME@AOL.COM as my ANCESTRY.COM ACCOUNT ends on JJULY 14, 2011.
My name is Milton PAUL Smith

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 6:56PM GMT
My John Black married Margaret Lyner..their daughter was Ann Black who married Jesse Carmack.

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 8:08PM GMT
ok Close but no cigar I guess.
Thanks for reply.
Paul Smith

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 6:58AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2011 1:12PM GMT
I know nothing about a Cherokee connection, however, I was told that my grandmother was American Indian and my father could have posed for the Indian Head Penny. I do not know the name of my grandparents. My father who was born in 1890 was born in the east. I was told grandfather met grandmother when she was being shipped by train toward Canada so the story goes. Dad it seems was born in Indiana, Pennsylvania. My father's name was Lankghton Frank Black, with brothers Sherman and Bernard Black.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions