Search for content in message boards

Researching SHEARER in Stronsay

Researching SHEARER in Stronsay

Murray Jackson (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Sep 2004 12:21AM GMT
Surnames: Shearer, Jackson
I am after information on the Shearers of Stronsay. My father, Alfred Peter Shearer Jackson, was born in February 1913, one of six children - Arthur, ?, Fred, Peter, Suvla, and Anna. His mother was a Shearer and they grew up in a house in Stronsay - the "Jacksons" of Feaston. I am interested in tracing my grandmothers family, Shearer, in the Orkneys. Can anyone help me?

Possible SHEARER Connections

Gail E. Looijen (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2004 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: Shearer, Croy, Flett
We may be tracing the same family. My grandmother was Elizabeth Mary Shearer of Feaston, Stronsay. She was born in 1888 and married Thomas Croy April 1907. My great grandfather was Peter Shearer. His mother was a Flett from the farm of Airy.
My grandmother had four siblings; sisters Mary Ann and Annie and brothers Peter and James. Thats about all I have on this side of the family so far. Do you have any of these names in your records?

Barbara L SHEARER bn 1885 Stronsay, marr 1909 Glasgow

Posted: 28 Jul 2003 10:32AM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2004 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Shearer, Jackson, Lennie
I have a Barbara Lennie Shearer who married an Arthur Jackson in 1909 in Glasgow. She was born in 1885 in Feastown, Stronsay.Have a fair bit of detail on ancestors.please email direct to jrbowen@doctors.org.uk. hope I can help
Jo

Interested in SHEARER & CROY Info

John Shearer (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2004 11:02PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2004 12:23AM GMT
Surnames: Shearer, Croy, Owen, Laughton
I would be most interested in finding out more about the lineage descending from Elizabeth Mary Shearer (from Feastown, Stronsay) & Thomas Croy... they went to Canada? Like Jon Owen who has posted a reply to you (am certain of our joint Stronsay Shearer connections) I have established her Forebears at least as far back as Peter Shearer (married Margaret Laughton) in Stronsay c1765, with known sons John, Peter & George - this last a direct ancestor of yours..

I may be able to help with your own researches, being back in Orkney again. Regards, John Shearer

Descendant of George & Helen SHEARER (nee MILLER)

Valerie McCullough (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2004 7:55PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2004 12:24AM GMT
Surnames: Shearer, Miller
I am also researching this family--George Shearer and Helen Miller were my 3X great grandparents--would like to share info.

George & Helen SHEARER Family of Stronsay (late 1700s+)

JPShearer (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2004 11:17PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2004 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: Shearer, Miller, Laughton
The essential details that I have are that George Shearer - a "sailor" - was born 18 Sep 1797 in Stronsay & died 19 Feb 1865 in Whitehall village, Stronsay. He married Helen Miller (c1798 - 19 Sep 1874, buried St Peters Churchyard, Stronsay) - marriage 15 Nov 1820, Stronsay.

Their known children - all born in Stronsay - were Peter Miller Shearer (b 1822); George Shearer (b 1827); James Shearer (b 1829); Isabella Shearer (b 1837); and John Shearer (b 30 Mar 1845)

I do not have very much more as yet concerning further descendants from this line, but am currently awaiting information from 2 established descendants in England and New Zealand - and would be delighted to discover more!

However I do know that George Shearer had 2 older brothers - John Shearer (b 1787) who moved to Eday, in Orkney, and Peter Shearer (1792 - 1835), and that their parents were Peter Shearer & Margaret Laughton in Stronsay.

I have loads of descendants from these 2 older brothers (Peter Shearer b 1792 is my direct ancestor) and have been building my Online Tree at United Kingdom based www.genesreunited.com - which is open to searches - but I believe you have to join (for a modest annual fee) before you can ask me to "Open My Tree" for further inspection - and enabling the exchange of email addresses for 1 to 1 interchange.

John Shearer

Re: Interested in SHEARER & CROY Info

Posted: 25 Jun 2005 4:06PM GMT
Surnames: Croy Shearer
Hi
I am grandaughter of William Croy,brother of Thomas and am interested in any info on Stronsay connections (at my last visit I realized I was related to everyone on the island except the 2 girls from Shetland who have married in to the family)
Cheers
Marcena

JPShearer (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2005 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: Shearer Croy (from Stronsay)
Further to Elizabeth Mary Shearer who married Thomas Croy in Stronsay, Orkney in 1907 I have now verified this Marriage Record through the Kirkwall Registrar. (I already had Elizabeth Mary Shearer in my Online Tree - but was not entirely sure until now that it was her that married Thomas Croy)

Elizabeth M Shearer's parents were Peter Shearer and Catherine Brown, and her Siblings were Mary Ann, Annie, Barbara, Peter, James & John (not in age order).

I have lots more re Elizabeth Mary Shearer's Antecedents, Cousins etc but nothing about her Descendents (I believe she & Thomas emigrated to Vancouver, Canada ... would love more info) - nor any more about Thomas Croy's Antecedents & Siblings (interested in this too.) My e-mail is JPShearer@aol.com

John

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 4:35AM GMT
Surnames: Croy
...as an aside, I knew a Bill Croy in 1982, Vancouver BC. He lived in a residential facility where I worked.
Bill showed me a photo of himself as a child ca 1900's (a guess) on the steps of his home on Pacific (Ave or Blvd). The home is now part of a larger co-op complex in the West End. A bunch of the original houses were restored and a bilding was built behind them.
cheers
Pat

Posted: 6 Mar 2007 9:25PM GMT
Thanks Pat, that was a photo of my dad and the house on Pacific street where we grew up ( all 3 generations)It was nice to hear from you and to know that you remembered my father
Thanks
marcena
per page

Find a board about a specific topic