Search for content in message boards

Bernier from Quebec, in WI

Bernier from Quebec, in WI

Posted: 29 Jan 2005 6:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bernier, Lavigne
Am searching for parents/silbings of my great grandfather Israel Francis Bernier born 1845 Maskinonge, Quebec, Canada. Emigrated as a one year old baby thru Detroit, probably 1846. Served Civil War with Wsiconsin Volunteers, 1865. Married approx 1870 to Mary Susan Lavigne possibly at Necedah, WI. Children: Francis Israel, Celestione, Sophia, Mary, Bridget, Florence, Geneva, and Elsie. Died 11 Sept 1895 at Necedah, WI. Any help greatly appreciated!

Re: Bernier from Quebec, in WI

Jean-Marie Matteau (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2005 1:40AM GMT
Hello Linda:

I was trying to reply to your msg of 16 OCt 2005 but it has disappeared from the forum.

I trust that you are going about this in the correct manner: ancestry can only be valid if you do it in an upward manner. If this is the case, I assume that you connection to this Francis Israel Bernier husband of Mary Susan lavigne has been validated.

Have you been able to look at the marriage record of this Francis Israel; if the couple were married in a RC parish, the marriage record should show the groom and bride's parents' names. This info is very important to keep going upward.

How did you come up with a DOB of 13 May 1846?

How did Maskinonge come in the picture? Was it from family records or suggested by some who replied to previous queries?

As mentioned by another correspondent, there is a Pierre Israel Bernier (son of Jean-Baptiste Bernier and Marie Noise (Noise in the B repertory). This is probably Noiseau (Noyseau and also Loiseux or Loiseaux). Child born 12 and bapt. 13 May 1848 Not 1846 as you have mentioned.

Pierre could have been his godfather's name as it was a practice at the time. The last given name was the one intended for the child.

No siblings of Pierre Israel were bapt. in maskinonge.

I have not been able to find a marriage record for JB and Marie in Québec but I have another reliable source that I have not been able to check due to the temporary unavailability of the material. I will make a check within a few weeks and will get back to you.

How Pierre Israel would have become Francis Israel is puzzling also.

Let me have you views on the above queries.

Not connected to this family, just trying to help.

Jean-Marie (John)
Gatineau, Québec

Posted: 19 Oct 2005 1:42AM GMT
Linda:

Allow me to make one correction to my reply sent a few minutes ago.

There was one siblings of Pierre Israel bapt. in Maskinonge: Louis-Jean-Baptiste born in 1847.

Jean-Marie

Posted: 19 Oct 2005 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Bernier
Hello from Linda
My son and I share an Ancentry.com subscription and sometimes messages come up with his name on them. My message of Oct 18 2005 is still on the forum but with his name attached.
Thank you for trying to help me. I will start from the beginning and maybe then this will make sense.
My father was Gordon Israel Barnia, named for his grandfather. I have loads of documentation for him.
His father was born and baptized Frances Israel Bernier, Sept 4, 1874 at Necedah, Juneau Co., Wisconsin. He used the name Frank Barnia in his adult life, taking the Barnia spelling from his father's Naturalization papers. I also have loads of documentation for Frank.
His father was Israel Bernier and his mother was Mary Susan Lavigne Bernier. She was 3rd generation born on this side of the border and from fur trade/voyeaguer people with some Indian blood. I have good documentation from Catholic church records for her.
The earliest peice of documentation I have for Israel is his discharge paper from the Union Army. On it he gives his name as Israel Bernier, Maskinonge, Canada as his birth place and 1846 as his birth year.
He could not read or write English so the information on his marriage certificate is as someone who wrote it heard it. His name is given as Israel Barney, birth place Canada and his parents are listed as Baptista Barney and Celestine with no last name. There is no age given for either groom or bride. This was a civil marriage performed by a Justice of the Peace in Necedah, Juneau Co., WI, 20 June 1873.
On his Declaration of Intent document filed in 1892 when he applied for US citizenship he lists Canada as his birthplace and birth year as 1845, saying his family arrived at Detroit, Michigan in 1846.
In the 1880 Census for Port Edwards, Wood Co., Wi he lists himself as from Canada, his father from Canada and his mother from MO. I assumed this could be the state of Missouri but wonder if it is an abbreviation for somewhere in Canada. Again this was information given to someone to write down which Israek could not read.
On his death certificate the information which I assume came from Mary Susan his widow, his name is Israel Bernier, born 13 May 1846, Canada and his parents are listed as John B. Bernier and Mary J. Bernier.
In the 1830 census my grandfather Frank listed his father as being born in French Canada.
I have a family group sheet written in the 1940's by a family member long dead who was apparently doing some genealogy work who wrote that Mary Susan Lavigne was married to Peter Barnia. This person's information was correct for Mary Susan's silblings and their spouses, but sure had me puzzled. I have search for several years for a Peter last name any form of Barnia/Bernier/Barney and found nothing.
So, the information for the birth of Pierre Israel Bernier in Maskinonge almost fits...what do you think?
Thank you so much. I cannot tell you the time I've had not just with the Bernier line but with the Lavigne, Lessard, Peltier dit Antaya, Creley and Hyott lines. Toss in a few Indians and you can imagine the chase I've been on. But it's been fun!
I really appreciate any help you might be. Thank you! Linda--Llking47@aol.com

Posted: 19 Oct 2005 5:47PM GMT
Bonjour Linda:

Thank you for the extra background. You have not given me the marriage years for these generations but I assume that they would fit with Pierre Israel born in 1848.

Mix-up of DOB is no big problem. I have 1848 and he gave 1946 and 1945.

This is most likely to be your Israel given the place where he was born and May 13th (in fact born on 12 and bapt. on 13.

Using two reliable province-wide marriage repertories this AM I have not been able to find the marriage record for JB and Mrie (aka Celestine). My guess is that they were married in USA and came back for sometime incl. the birth of a few children.

I had mentioned a sibling of Pierre Israel: Louis-Jean-Baptiste but the latter died at a young age.

For the purpose of your research for JB's wife keep in mind that although liste as Noise from the record transcription, Noise is not a known family name. Noyseau was used for the second child's Bapt. I believe and Noiseau is aka Loiseau or Loiseaux or Loiseux.

I am at loss that guide you further in your research. If I do come across something interesting, I will let you know. I will also check the repertory of deaths to determine the duration of their stay in Maskinonge.

bonne chance and let me have new pieces of the puzzle whenever they become available.

Jean-Marie

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 4:49AM GMT
Thanks so much for your evaluation of the information I have on Israel Bernier. It's always nice to have a second opinion when the details leading to a particular conclusion aren't a 100% fit. I have other family who are not Bernier people with roots in Quebec and wonder if I can contact you through your e-mail address for an evaluation of what I have on them. I have two sets of parents for my 4th great grandfather--a genetic impossibility, and a genealogical mess. If you don't have the time I understand. Thanks again for your interest...Linda Llking47@aol.com

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 2:35PM GMT
Bonjour LInda:

Let me have what you have, incl. a few generations beloe the generation being questioned and I will see what I can do for you.

jjmmatteau@sympatico.ca

are you in Canada or USA?

Jean-Marie

Posted: 9 May 2007 9:20PM GMT
Hi Linda, I have two Bernier lines on maternal side, decided to include all Bernier folks in my database and do a "one name" project.
Saw your post some time back, had no info for you. Ancestry now has all Quebec church registers online as well as the 1851 Quebec census. Viewed all Berniers in Maskinonge and assembled the Bernier families from 1780 to 1860. Found one family that to me is the candidate as parents to Jean-Baptiste who married Marie Noise/Noize/Noiseux. Dates and details of the other families do not fit but this one does. They had children born in Maskinonge as well as in the US, seems they went back and forth. Note also that Pierre-Israel's godfather is the husband of the sister I assigned him to. So here is the data, let me know what you think.

Descendants of Charles Bernier

Generation No. 1

1. CHARLES11 BERNIER (JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born June 16, 1792 in St-Joseph de Maskinonge. He married MARIE-ANNE MORIN October 13, 1817 in St-Joseph de Maskinonge. She was born 1799.

Children of CHARLES BERNIER and MARIE-ANNE MORIN are:
i. MARIE-ANNE12 BERNIER, b. August 13, 1818, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; m. AMABLE SICARD, November 07, 1837, St-Joseph de Maskinonge.
ii. ELISABETH BERNIER, b. October 24, 1819, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; d. February 21, 1843, St-Joseph de Maskinonge.
2. iii. CHARLES BERNIER, b. 1822, California per 1851 census; d. Bef. 1883.
iv. MARIE BERNIER, b. March 22, 1823, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; d. November 02, 1847, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; m. OLIVIER NORMANDIN, DIT LAJOIE, August 25, 1840, St-Joseph de Maskinonge.
3. v. ANTOINE BERNIER, b. August 06, 1824, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; d. Bef. 1885.
vi. MARGUERITE BERNIER, b. May 04, 1826, St-Joseph de Maskinonge.
4. vii. LOUIS BERNIER, b. May 21, 1828, St-Joseph de Maskinonge-1851 census says born in NY.
5. viii. JOSEPH BERNIER, b. February 15, 1832, St-Joseph de Maskinonge.
ix. CLAIRE BERNIER, b. October 24, 1833, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; m. PIERRE DUGAS, August 03, 1852, Maskinonge.
x. EMELIE BERNIER, b. June 19, 1837, St-Joseph de Maskinonge.
6. xi. AMABLE BERNIER, b. 1841, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; d. April 09, 1910, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare.
xii. CATHERINE BERNIER, b. March 14, 1843, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; d. March 27, 1843, St-Joseph de Maskinonge.
7. xiii. JEAN-BAPTISTE BERNIER, b. unknown, probably in US.

Generation No. 2

2. CHARLES12 BERNIER (CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born 1822 in California per 1851 census, and died Bef. 1883. He married (1) JULIE PAQUIN January 19, 1847 in St-Joseph de Maskinonge. She was born 1828, and died Bef. 1880. He married (2) EMERENCE BERNIER November 19, 1880 in St-Justin de Maskinonge. She was born 1825.

Children of CHARLES BERNIER and JULIE PAQUIN are:
i. JULIE13 BERNIER, b. October 29, 1847, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; m. FELIX PAQUIN, April 12, 1869, St-Justin de Maskinonge.
ii. NOEMI BERNIER, b. 1849; m. CHARLES-JEREMIE COULOMBE, February 11, 1873, St-Justin de Maskinonge.
iii. FLORE BERNIER, b. 1866; m. EDMOND PAQUIN, May 11, 1883, St-Justin de Maskinonge.
iv. LOUIS BERNIER, b. 1867.
v. ALFRED BERNIER, b. 1869.
vi. MARIE BERNIER, b. 1870.
vii. MALVINA BERNIER, b. 1872.

3. ANTOINE12 BERNIER (CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born August 06, 1824 in St-Joseph de Maskinonge, and died Bef. 1885. He married MARCELLINE MAGNAN February 11, 1850 in Louiseville. She was born 1826.

Children of ANTOINE BERNIER and MARCELLINE MAGNAN are:
8. i. ANTOINE13 BERNIER, b. February 13, 1851, St-Joseph de Maskinonge.
ii. EUGENIE BERNIER.
iii. JOSEPHINE BERNIER, m. ALEXIS CALIXTE BEAULIEU, April 13, 1880, Ste-Flore de Shawinigan.
iv. NAPOLEON BERNIER, m. ANNE-ESTHER BEAUPRE, January 15, 1885, Ste-Flore.

4. LOUIS12 BERNIER (CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born May 21, 1828 in St-Joseph de Maskinonge-1851 census says born in NY. He married (1) JOSEPHTE LAVIGUEUR May 17, 1858 in St. Paul, Oregon. He married (2) NATHALIE MCKAY November 23, 1882 in Gervais, Oregon.

Children of LOUIS BERNIER and JOSEPHTE LAVIGUEUR are:
i. LOUIS-ARTHUR13 BERNIER, b. August 26, 1864, St. Paul, Oregon.
ii. ETIENNE RAPHAEL BERNIER, b. July 13, 1866, St. Paul, Oregon.
iii. JOSEPH BERNIER, b. November 18, 1868, St. Paul, Oregon.
iv. EDWARD JOHN BERNIER, b. October 12, 1871, St. Paul, Oregon.
v. LOUIS ALFRED BERNIER, b. January 13, 1874, St. Paul, Oregon; d. March 06, 1874, St. Paul, Oregon.

Child of LOUIS BERNIER and NATHALIE MCKAY is:
vi. CHARLES-RAYMOND13 BERNIER, b. March 02, 1885, St. Paul, Oregon; d. October 03, 1967, Alameda, CA.

5. JOSEPH12 BERNIER (CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born February 15, 1832 in St-Joseph de Maskinonge. He married ADELINE LORTIE November 03, 1868 in Trois Rivieres.

Child of JOSEPH BERNIER and ADELINE LORTIE is:
9. i. ADELARD13 BERNIER.

6. AMABLE12 BERNIER (CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born 1841 in St-Joseph de Maskinonge, and died April 09, 1910 in St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare. He married OLIVINE THIBODEAU January 08, 1866 in St-Justin de Maskinonge. She was born 1840.

Children of AMABLE BERNIER and OLIVINE THIBODEAU are:
i. LUDGER13 BERNIER, b. 1866.
ii. MELINA BERNIER, b. 1869.
10. iii. ADELARD BERNIER, b. 1872.
iv. EMMA BERNIER, b. 1874.
v. JOSEPHINE BERNIER, b. 1876.
vi. VICTORIA BERNIER, b. 1877.
vii. THEOPHILE BERNIER, b. 1878.

7. JEAN-BAPTISTE12 BERNIER (CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born in unknown, probably in US. He married MARIE NOISEUX.

Children of JEAN-BAPTISTE BERNIER and MARIE NOISEUX are:
i. LOUIS-JEAN-BAPTISTE13 BERNIER, b. May 27, 1847, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; d. July 07, 1847, St-Joseph de Maskinonge.
11. ii. PIERRE-ISRAEL BERNIER, b. May 12, 1848, St-Joseph de Maskinonge; d. September 11, 1895, Necedah, WI.

Generation No. 3

8. ANTOINE13 BERNIER (ANTOINE12, CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born February 13, 1851 in St-Joseph de Maskinonge. He married ANNE ST-GERMAIN February 01, 1881 in St-Felix de Valois.

Child of ANTOINE BERNIER and ANNE ST-GERMAIN is:
i. ARTHUR14 BERNIER, m. ANNA BELLEMARE, June 25, 1906, St-Jacques les Piles.

9. ADELARD13 BERNIER (JOSEPH12, CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) He married JOSEPHINE GREGOIRE January 24, 1898 in Trois Rivieres.

Child of ADELARD BERNIER and JOSEPHINE GREGOIRE is:
i. ADELARD14 BERNIER.

10. ADELARD13 BERNIER (AMABLE12, CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born 1872. He married EMMA BELLEMARE June 14, 1897 in St-Boniface de Shawinigan.

Children of ADELARD BERNIER and EMMA BELLEMARE are:
i. ALEXANDRINE14 BERNIER, b. June 02, 1901, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare; d. November 13, 1902, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare.
ii. EXORIE BERNIER, b. March 23, 1903, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare.
iii. ARSENE BERNIER, b. December 30, 1904, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare; d. January 03, 1905, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare.
iv. CELINA-LUCIE BERNIER, b. June 12, 1905, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare.
v. AURORE-ROSALIE BERNIER, b. January 10, 1909, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare.
vi. ROSARIO-FERDINAND BERNIER, b. September 23, 1911, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare.
vii. LUCIEN-ELZEAR BERNIER, b. March 05, 1913, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare.
viii. BLANCHE-GERMAINE BERNIER, b. May 10, 1915, St-Mathieu du Lac Bellemare.

11. PIERRE-ISRAEL13 BERNIER (JEAN-BAPTISTE12, CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born May 12, 1848 in St-Joseph de Maskinonge, and died September 11, 1895 in Necedah, WI. He married SUSANNE LAVIGNE June 20, 1873 in Necedah, WI. She was born in Missouri.

Children of PIERRE-ISRAEL BERNIER and SUSANNE LAVIGNE are:
12. i. FRANCIS ISRAEL14 BERNIER, b. September 04, 1874, Necedah, WI.
ii. CELESTINE BERNIER, b. November 19, 1876, Necedah, WI.
iii. SOPHIE BERNIER, b. 1879, Necedah, WI.
iv. MARIE-URSULE BERNIER, b. July 26, 1882, Germantown, WI; d. October 09, 1895, WI.
v. BRIDGET-ANN BERNIER, b. April 27, 1885, Germantown, WI.
vi. FLORENCE-ELISABETH BERNIER, b. May 07, 1887, Germantown, WI.
vii. GENEVIEVE BERNIER, b. December 25, 1890, WI.
viii. ELSIE-GERTRUDE BERNIER, b. May 17, 1894, Germantown, WI; d. October 08, 1895, WI.

Generation No. 4

12. FRANCIS ISRAEL14 BERNIER (PIERRE-ISRAEL13, JEAN-BAPTISTE12, CHARLES11, JEAN-MARIE10, JEAN-BAPTISTE9, NICOLAS8, CHARLES7, JACQUES6, YVES5, CHRISTOPHE4, PIERRE3, PIERRE2, FRANCOIS1) was born September 04, 1874 in Necedah, WI.

Child of FRANCIS ISRAEL BERNIER is:
i. GORDON ISRAEL15 BERNIER.

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 9:19AM GMT
Thank you so much for all the effort you;ve put into this. I realized it had been months since I've taken a look at my old posts and so just now stumbled onto your reply.
I need a bit of time to digest it. Will get back to you with my thoughts. Again--thanks! Linda

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 4:55PM GMT
Hi, let me know if you think this looks right or not
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions