Search for content in message boards

Edwin Boyde

Edwin Boyde

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 10:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Boyde
Edwin James Boyde came to Canada in 1906 from the Isle of Man.
His wife Maud joined him in 1908 and they had 3 children - Edwin Allen (1909), Douglas Ramsay (1911) & Fanny (1918), all born in Hanceville, B.C. I understand that he was widowed in 1943 and he remarried and had a son Jimmy. Can anyone help me with details of his second marriage and son Jimmy?

Re: Edwin BOYDE

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 1:54PM GMT
Surnames: BOYDE
Hi, From the Provincial Archive of BC Vital Events Index'
Marriage 1859-1936 Birth 1872-1903 Death 1872-1991

OBITUARY for the Following - may show names and locations of other family members at the time:

Douglas Ramsey Boyde
Place Williams Lake
Reg. Number:1981-09-011171
Date:1981 7 17 (Yr/Mo/Day) Age:70 Event:Death
Microfilm #:B13613 (GSU # 2051595)

Contact Williams Lake Cemetery and Crematorium
http://www.ccabc.org/williams-lake-municipal-cemetery/
They should be able to advise if there are other family members buried - or cremated.

Registration of Death for above - can be viewed at no cost at theh Provincial Archive in Victoria.
Also at some Public and University Libraries in the Province.
Information an be transcribed. Photo copies .50 cents or less depending on copy machine.

Will show all personal information as required at the time -Including name of informant. Spouse if married.
Name and Address of Funeral Home. Cemetery
Cause of Death.

Maude Boyde Age:60 Event:Death
Place Yale
Date:1941 9 12 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Reg. Number:1941-09-601629
Microfilm #:B13174 (GSU # 1953634)

I do not see Edwin James BOYDE or Edwin Allen BOYD. or FANNY

1911 Census:

6 19 Boyde Maud F Domestic M Nov 1883 27
7 19 Boyde Edwin M Domestic M Jun 1884 26
8 19 Boyde Edwin A. M Boarder S Oct 1899 2
9 19 Boyde Ramsay M Boarder S Jul 1911 1

Cheers, Stella

Re: Edwin Boyde

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 8:33PM GMT
There is no sign of Edwin James Boyde passing away in BC. I could check for an obituary for Douglas to see if it names a half brother. Edwin does appear in at least 8 court cases in Williams Lake and Quesnel between 1938 and 1946. Maybe he ended up in the big house.

Re: Edwin Boyde

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 9:57AM GMT
Thank you for your interest in my research - the info I have on Edwin James Boyde was obtained from a book entitled "Chilcotin - Preserving Pioneer Memories" by The Witte Sisters. Extracts are available online and I found it by "Googling" Edwin James Boyde. Here is the extract I found - Extract from
“Chilcotin: Preserving Pioneer Memories”
by The Witte Sisters

Edwin James Boyd(e) came to Canada in 1906 from the Isle of Man, where he had been a champion swimmer & top football player. He worked for Norman Lee, then sent for his wife Maud and moved to Chezacut to work for Copeland before acquiring land for himself. Their first son Edwin Allen was born in Hanceville in1909 and a second son Douglas Ramsay in 1911. A daughter Fanny arrived in 1918. She married Pete Evjen, Eddy married & lived in Nazko country. Doug worked at Chezacut, bought & sold the Spain Lake Ranch, bought & sold another ranch near the 150 Mile and a sawmill near Clinton and worked for wages in that country. But Doug Boyd(e) is best remembered as rider 320 for the C1 Ranch on the Eagle Lake Range where he rode through summer and fall for 20 years.
The Ed Boyds left Chezacut in 1938, selling the cattle to R.C. Cotton and the land to Bill Mulvahill. Bill’s eldest son Roy Mulvahill owns it now. He and his wife Gwen raise cattle & horses along with a very successful big-game guiding business.
Ed Boyd bought the Log Cabin Hotel, later named the Ranch, after moving to Williams Lake. He sold it in 1949. Left a widower in 1943 he married again and had a son Jimmy. Jimmy Boyd was a great athlete following in his father’s footsteps. Ed Boyd died in his eighties in 1963, refusing to go into a retirement home as he didn’t want to associate with “all those old people”!
So this suggests he died in 1963 but it doesn't say where! (Please note the spelling of Boyd(e) and the use of Ed instead of Edwin). Any suggestions?

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 10:00AM GMT
Thank you for your interest in my research - the info I have on Edwin James Boyde was obtained from a book entitled "Chilcotin - Preserving Pioneer Memories" by The Witte Sisters. Extracts are available online and I found it by "Googling" Edwin James Boyde. Here is the extract I found - Extract from
“Chilcotin: Preserving Pioneer Memories”
by The Witte Sisters

Edwin James Boyd(e) came to Canada in 1906 from the Isle of Man, where he had been a champion swimmer & top football player. He worked for Norman Lee, then sent for his wife Maud and moved to Chezacut to work for Copeland before acquiring land for himself. Their first son Edwin Allen was born in Hanceville in1909 and a second son Douglas Ramsay in 1911. A daughter Fanny arrived in 1918. She married Pete Evjen, Eddy married & lived in Nazko country. Doug worked at Chezacut, bought & sold the Spain Lake Ranch, bought & sold another ranch near the 150 Mile and a sawmill near Clinton and worked for wages in that country. But Doug Boyd(e) is best remembered as rider 320 for the C1 Ranch on the Eagle Lake Range where he rode through summer and fall for 20 years.
The Ed Boyds left Chezacut in 1938, selling the cattle to R.C. Cotton and the land to Bill Mulvahill. Bill’s eldest son Roy Mulvahill owns it now. He and his wife Gwen raise cattle & horses along with a very successful big-game guiding business.
Ed Boyd bought the Log Cabin Hotel, later named the Ranch, after moving to Williams Lake. He sold it in 1949. Left a widower in 1943 he married again and had a son Jimmy. Jimmy Boyd was a great athlete following in his father’s footsteps. Ed Boyd died in his eighties in 1963, refusing to go into a retirement home as he didn’t want to associate with “all those old people”!
So this suggests he died in 1963 but it doesn't say where! (Please note the spelling of Boyd(e) and the use of Ed instead of Edwin). Any suggestions?

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 3:22PM GMT

death date:21 May 1963
death place:Williams Lake, British Columbia, Canada
name:Edward James Boyd
birth date:25 Jun 1883
birthplace:Ramsay, England
marital status:Married
spouse:Maod Clockland
digital folder number:4479252
british columbia archives film number:B13261
registration number:63 09 006600

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 6:25PM GMT
Many thanks Judy, that's definitely him. Now, any ideas on how I might confirm his marriage to Maud Clockland (after 1943) and then the birth of a son James (Jimmy)? Also, where could I look for his obituary? I'm based in North Yorkshire, England and it's a long way to British Columbia. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 8:04PM GMT
You won't be able to verify the marriage as the privacy act is open until 1936 only and births to 1900 in BC. I could look for the obituary. I can look at the original death certificate and see where he is buried and you could check and see if she has died since 1991.

Judy

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 7:09PM GMT
Thanks again Judy, I would really appreciate you helping me find his obituary. It seems with him being mentioned in the "Pioneer Memories" book and his wheeling & dealing in property let alone several court cases he may well have earned a decent obituary. Also would like a look at the death certificate - is it possible to purchase a copy?
As for his son Jimmy Boyd(e), since he was supposed to be 'a great athlete' following in his father's footsteps would it be possible to search any sporting/athletic media in British Columbia? Many thanks for your assistance.

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 7:31PM GMT
Surnames: BOYDE
Did a Google Search for James Boyde Williams Lake - Athlete
http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/bo/james-b...
The full list of participating athletes – seen below – includes more than 100 Olympic medallists, ... IOC member and COC life president James Worrall, a 1936 Olympian in athletics (running Dec. ..... James Boyde, biathlon (1968) Canmore, Alta. ... 28 Williams Lake, B.C.: Mark Howkins, shooting (1988, 1984) ...
Cheers, Stella

http://www.woaolympians.com/newsitem.php?id=316
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions