Search for content in message boards

John Carroll b. 1800 in North Carolina

John Carroll b. 1800 in North Carolina

Shannon Surber (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2006 4:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for info on John Carroll born abt. 1800 in North Carolina. I have found him in 1850 census living in Louisiana, had name spelled as Carle. He was married to Lidia Curry Carroll. Children are as follows:
W.W. Carroll
E. R. or E. B. Carroll ( I believe he and W. W. are twins)
Walter Watson Carroll b. 1841
Emily M. Carroll
Mary A. Carroll

In the 1860 census family is still living in Louisiana, but John must have died between 1850 and 1860 as he is not listed.

The family moved to Arkansas and are listed living in Little River County in 1870 census.

Any information on this family would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Shannon

Re: John Carroll b. 1800 in North Carolina

Posted: 6 Oct 2006 8:14PM GMT
My husband's great-grandfather was also Lloyd Rigdon Carroll. The 1850 census shows Lloyd Rigdon born about 1830 in N.C. or Tenn. He was married to Charlotte Chapman. I wonder if this connects to your grandfather Lloyd Rigdon Carroll. I wonder if Charlotte may have been 2nd wife of Lloyd Rigdon. Do you have any record of that? I've reached a deadend on this line. Apparently, Lloyd Ridgon's father was Stanley Carroll, born 1804 (according to 1850 census records).

Your information says he fathered two children, but I'm showing he fathered an Issac Wilson Carroll on 1 Jan 1859 in Harrison, AR, Boone Co. Issac died Oct. 14, 1929 in Greenville, AR, Wash. Col, at age 70.

The 1850 census for Mountain (could be Mountainburg, which now appears to be Crawford county), Washington County, Arkansas, lists my family name of Stanly (this is the spelling) and indicates that Stanly was born in North Carolina, along with his daughter Lucinda, and sons Rigdon and Merrill. His son Stanly and daughter Penina were born in Tennessee.

I'm looking for research in Washington county, Arkansas for the Stanly (or Stanley) Carroll line. We have visited the Rigdon Carroll tombstone in a cemetery in Boone County (Greenland), Arkansas. Our records show he was born in North Carolina, but spent most of his life in Washington County and southwest Missouri. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If you need additional data, please let me know.
Sincerely, Jeannette Carroll

Posted: 8 Dec 2006 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll Adkins Browning Grimmett
Hi Shannon
Is your W.W. Carroll by any chance William Walter Carroll born in 1827 in Oak Grove Mississippi ? He lived in Alabama and Lousiana too. William is the great grand dad of Another David Carroll here in Abilene Texas whom I'm trying to help trace his ancestors, brick wall is at William. My Carroll line is from VA and KY, curious know if they're all related.
David

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 6:06AM GMT
Surnames: carroll/Ferguson/smith
i have a John Clark Carroll(carrell) born abt.1775 in wilkes county,N.C.married mary Ferguson oct. 18,1800 in wilkes co.N.C. daughter of James and Elizabeth smith Ferguson.
children are Lewis carroll.,george, James gassaway Carroll vorn 1907 in Grayson County,virginia died 1881 sugar run,va.
Dennis carrol born 1808
Thomas Carroll born abt. 1809
Cleveland Carroll born abt. 1811
would love to hear from any one doing research on these famlies.

Posted: 23 Nov 2007 9:59PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2012 1:37AM GMT

Do you have any further information on the family? Thank you.

Posted: 26 Nov 2007 3:59AM GMT

Franklin

The information that I have on John and Lidia came from a letter that was given to me. It mentioned that John Carroll and Lidia Curry were the parents of Walter Watson and Mary Carroll. I just researched from there until I found them in the 1860 census, where as I mentioned that had the surname spelled Carle. The only other information that I can give you is that in the 1870 census, Lidia is living with your gg grandmother and her family in Little River County, and in 1880 she is living with Walter Watson and his family still in Little River County. I have not been able to find any information on John Carroll before the 1860 census and can't seem to find anyone other than you that is researching this same line. I can tell you from the information in the letter that I have, that Lidia's parents are Barnaby Curry and Mary Gibson. I haven't been working on my research in quite awhile, I sorta hit a brick wall, and really didn't know where to go from here. I will be more than happy to share any information that I have with you, just sorry to say that I don't have that much on them.

Shannon

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 3:59AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2012 1:42AM GMT
Shannon,

There's a record in "Mississippi Marriages 1776-1935" of Lidia Curry marrying Ransom DEES (reported as DUS) in 1829 when she was 20 in Amite, Mississippi.

On the 1860 census in Bossier LA Lidia Carroll is listed as head with her children, including Emily, and there is also another Carroll family in the house -- R.C. Carrell 28 and Mahalo Carrell 23 (actually Anderson Rutherford Carroll and wife Mahala) and their three children. Anderson Rutherford is the son of Anderson Carroll, who appears to be roughly the same age as John Carrol. Anderson Carroll Sr. was in Amite, Mississippi at the same time as the Currys (1820 census) and in East Faliciana, Louisiana in 1840 (1840 census). Anderson Carroll Sr's wife was Elizabeth DEES. Her mother Charlotte DEES 66, also born in South Carolina, is on the 1850 census for East Feliciana, LA along with her grandchildren Anderson Rutherford Carrol and his two siblings. She died at 76 in 1860, the census year when Anderson Rutherford and his family have moved in with Lidia and her children.

Thanks again for your reply and information.

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 6:45AM GMT
This thread contains some interesting information on the Carroll families:

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=4427&am...

Posted: 28 Nov 2007 4:43AM GMT

Franklin,

I am sorry, but I told you wrong about which census I found John and Lidia both living in St. Helena Eastern District, Louisiana. It was the 1850 census. Has surname spelled Carle. I have a great aunt who lives in Louisiana and she has said that my g grandmother Carroll told her that there was a different spelling or actually she said a different name than Carroll and that somewhere down the line the family had changed the name. I don't know how much of this is true and I really need to speak with her again, she is the last one left of my grandfather's family that can remember family members and stories.

Shannon

Posted: 28 Nov 2007 9:11PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2012 1:43AM GMT
Shannon,
Thanks for that clarification. The name does change through the different census records -- Carle, Carrell, Carroll.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions