Search for content in message boards

George Henry Dawson

George Henry Dawson

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Oct 2012 12:49PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson/Coatsworth/Goulet
I am looking for information regarding the death of my gggrandfather George Henry Dawson of Romney Twp. Kent County. He is the son of Joseph Dawson and Jane Coatsworth, was born April 2, 1855, became a farmer by trade, was married to Rachel Jane Goulet, was father to Roy McIntyre, Kemp Xavier, Nellie Edith, Edna Ethel, Reginald Clare and Donald Caswell. He was alive when he was listed in a "Commerative Biographical record of the county of Kent, Ontario" published in 1904 and in January of 1931 Rachel Jane is listed as a widow on her death certificate.

Any information you can provide would be most appreciated.

Re: George Henry Dawson

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 8:23PM GMT
Son Donald was killed in action and listed as son of George H and Rachel J of Vancouver. This was about 1916.
Rachel was his next of kin at 3357 3rd Avenue Vancouver.
Son Reginald died in Vancouver 1941.
Did George die in BC and Rachel moved back to Ontario after his death?
I cannot find a death for George in BC Vital Stats nor in Ontario.
Did find a George Henry Dawson but he died in 1959 in Victoria.

There is no listing in Duart Cemetery for George, only Rachel J, Edna Jane and a Kate B.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 9:19PM GMT
Yes, I knew about Donald, actually his military record states he died of bronchitis while in hospital.

I knew about Reginald as well.

I found a 1911 census which shows a Grace H Dawson (could be Mrs. George H)as head of the house, occupation- housekeeping, Edwell (could be Edna Ethel) occupation-nurse, Regenald (Reginald)occupation-something to do with wood and Donald occupation-bookkeeper.No mention of George.

I believe Rachel Jane left George on their farm in 1910 and took these three children with her. Her son Roy was already in Vancouver by this time along with his wife Kate Beebe Macdonald and their two daughters Edith Lea and Helen Lois. This is the Kate B. in Duart Cemetery, Rachel Jane's daughter-in-law.

I am thinking she returned to the farm at the time of George's death. Roy and family also returned to Ontario
in 1920. This is pure specualtion on my part but I am going to try to find something around 1920 in Ontario.

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 4:47PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson
name: George Henry Dawson

event: Death
event date: 22 Oct 1927

event place: Kent, Ontario, Canada
birth date: 02 Apr 1855
birthplace: Kent Co
estimated birth year:
burial date:
burial place:
father: Joseph Dawson
mother: Jane Coatsworth
spouse:
reference number: 18466
film number: 2131240
digital folder number: 4000396
image number: 01228
Citing this Record

"Ontario Deaths,1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JKWV-C2Z : accessed 20 Oct 2012), George Henry Dawson, 1927.

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 1:33PM GMT
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I did not think to look on FamilySearch, although I have done so in the past with other people.

Most appreciated.

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 1:48PM GMT
Checked on Ancestry again with new information...no record showing on Ontario Deaths etc. Familysearch says no image available so I guess this one was missed on Ancestry. Would still like to know where he has been buried since he was not buried with his wife.

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 2:19PM GMT
I don't have Ancestry -- but try Looking at George Henry Danson Died 1927 At Ancestry

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 3:16PM GMT
Thank you again. I had tried various alternatives to Dawson before having the date but didn't think to do this again once I had the date..my error. I now know he is buried in the main family cemetery so I will check there once again.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 7:45PM GMT
Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938 and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947about George Henry Danson
Name: George Henry Danson
Death Date: 22 Oct 1927
Death County or District: Kent
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
Birth Location: Kent County, Ontario

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 8:12PM GMT
George Henry Obit
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions