Search for content in message boards

Chavis Family Tree

Chavis Family Tree

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 3:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jul 2006 12:53AM GMT
Can you help me,
My name is Randy Evans Chavis, I live in Clarkton NC, I am trying to do some
genealogy research on the Chavis Family tree, and I dont have much to go on.
I know that father Andrew Evans Chavis was born in Bull Swamp Swansea SC
his brothers names Alti (deceased) and William . His Sisters names were Dolly, Patricia
(Pat). His fathers name was Shuler Chavis, his mothers name was Carrie Ott Chavis.
Shuler Chavis fathers name was Fed Chavis and mothers name was Agnes Miller Chavis.
This is where I need the help, I need any information that would help me trace the family
tree past Fed and Agnes. This my be helpful, at some time the Chavis family may have
lived in Swansea, Orangeburg or Lexington South Carolina. I have also been told that my
great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee Indian. I would like to know if the Chavis
family tree has any native American ancestors. Any information that you may have about
the Chavis family, that would help me in my research would greatly be appreciated.

My contacts:
Phone: 910 647-0774
Mail: PO Box 1054 Clarkton NC
E Mail: rechavis@ec.rr.com
Thank You.
Randy E. Chavis

Re: Chavis Family Tree

Posted: 7 Aug 2006 8:07PM GMT

The CHAVIS name is from LUMBEE Indians, not CHEROKEE. Based in Robeson Co. NC (Lumberton NC, Pembroke NC) and parts of SC (Dillon Co, Marlboro Co).

http://www.LumbeeTribe.com
http://www.Lumbee.org

locklear (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2006 5:08AM GMT
i have a fed chavis born 1872 sc. father adolphus chavis born 1855sc. in the 1880 census he is listed as adolphus 25 years old farmer married wife laura 23 years old keeping house son fed 8 son david 7 daughter livy 3 son louis 2 and daughter chavis 7 mos. this is all i have hope this helps good luck

Posted: 9 Sep 2006 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: Pee Dee Chavis'
Good afternoon:
The Actual Origin of the Chavis name is an answer that we may never really find - there are several theories to the Base beginings - I can assure you however, that I Am a Chavis and I can also assure you that I Am Not a Lumbee - I am from the Pee Dee that are and have been in Marlboro county, SC. I trace back to a Jordan Chavis, B: 1805 in or around the Bertie County area -
I've been researching my particular line for about 16 years now and even tho they do at times travel into the Richmond, Robeson and Scotland county area's of North Carolina and since the Chavis family, like any other family did have a tendancy to marry cousins - and some are today part of the Lumbee Nation, not ALL Chavis family members are of the Lumbee world -

Misty Chavis

Posted: 11 Sep 2006 4:27PM GMT

Misty,
You are correct. Pardon my hasty reply to the poster.
"Chavis" appears in several groups of people.
My point was to say that it is VERY predominate among the Lumbee, of which I am a member.
However - we probably share the same ancestry, since I am a descendant of ISHMAEL CHAVIS (b.circa 1750) in the Pee Dee SC area.

Misty Chavis (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2006 7:00PM GMT
Surnames: Chavis
Do you have an concrete, provable information that Ishmael was in the Pee Dee area as I have found him only in the Robeson area ?? I would be interested in sharing information with you but doubt if we share an ancestry off of Ishmael - I have a theory that he and my Jordan may be related in some way but then again if you are a Chavis you are definately related at some point back up the Chavis Line prior to about 1790 -

Please contact me off line at ltlwolf@earthlink.net or at an alternate address of ltlhawk01@yahoo.com

Misty

Posted: 4 Oct 2006 2:05AM GMT
My Jordan Chavis was born about 1797 in South Carolina and married Eliza Jefferies, who was born about 1796 in TN. If you have any information I'd love to hear from you.

Posted: 5 Oct 2006 12:44AM GMT
Surnames: Chavis
This Jordan Chavis can be found on the Tax Records of Richmond County NC - he eventurally moved north through Severville, Tenn and it's my understanding that he eventually made his way into Mississippi where he passed away - Since he was not my Jordan, I did not dig into him and his family any further - he may have also been the Jordan that dealt with Aquillar Quicks Will in about 1812 in Marlboro county as well --

Misty

Kathy (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2006 10:52PM GMT
Thanks Misty,

I'm not so sure about him and Aquilla, I've seen her name several times before while searching. I'll have to look further. Thanks alot.

Posted: 9 Oct 2006 5:37PM GMT
Surnames: Chavis, Jordan
Aquilla/Aquillar is a man - he had several children and I believe the Jordan you are referring to was married to one of ahis daughters -Eliabeth - this would hve been possible since you show that he married the Jeffers lady in or from Tennessee - since his travels took him to tennessee and there is a Chavis Creek in Sieverville which is near Gatlinberg - and since he eventually settled in the Mississipi area --

Check the Chavis board - there is a John Chavis which is decended from Jodan - there are lots of messages out there - I believe about a year ago - from others who are looking for the same Jordan that you are

please contact me at my other address - hen I'm on the road, getting access to some parts of the internet is a problem
ltlwolf@erthlink.net

Thanks
Misty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions