Search for content in message boards

John Grant on the Front

John Grant on the Front

Posted: 11 May 2012 2:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Grant
Does anyone know of a John Grant married to a Flora Grant living on the 1st or 2nd concessions near Summerstown? I found a John Grant that may be the John that I am looking for in the Salem United Church Cemetery in Summerstown. John who is UEL, died in 1806. Flora died in 1821. At this time, this is all the information that I have.

Re: John Grant on the Front

Posted: 11 May 2012 3:58AM GMT
I have a John Grant married to a Flora McPherson, they were married on July 10, 1792, marriage record is in St. Andrew's Church, Williamstown, Ont., as well s the following baptisms:
They had at least 4 children, Katherine born 1793, Alex in 1795, Elizabeth in 1797 and John in 1799.
Not sure if this is who you are looking for.
Rhoda

Posted: 11 May 2012 10:04PM GMT
Hi Rhoda!
I am looking for a John Grant who is buried in the Salem United Church in Summerstown. His son, my ancestor, was Peter Grant b. 1798 d. 1850 and lived on the West 1/2 of Lot 16 in the first concession. Peter bought his lot from someone else, it wasn't in a will. I have been looking so long but I just found that a John, married to Flora is in the cemetery. Barb Gressel

Posted: 17 May 2012 11:45PM GMT
I have Elizabeth (Bettie) McDonald, 1842-1912, daughter of Donald Roy McDonald and Catherine McLeod of Con 2 Charlottenburg, married Archibald Grant 1842-1918, son of Peter Grant and Janet Jane Murchison 1807-1894. They are buried at Salem Cemetery, Summerstown. Archibald Grant and Elizabeth McDonald had a daughter Catherine Janet Grant 1867-1928 who is also buried at Salem Cemetery. Colleen Newbold

Posted: 18 May 2012 1:16AM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2012 1:32AM GMT
Dear Colleen,

This is exciting.

I think we have two Grant families that are related that are buried in the Salem United Church Cemetery. Peter Grant 1894-1841, the shoemaker, buried in the Lancaster by the Lake Cemetery in Lancaster is the sister of Flora Grant. Peter the shoemaker had no children and left a big portion of his estate to the children of Flora Grant, his sister, whose children's name was also Grant (no husband is ever mentioned for Flora). In Peter, the shoemaker's will and other wills that I have collected, Peter the shoemaker left his tanyard to Duncan Grant, his nephew, the brother of my ancestor, Peter Grant 1798-1850 who is also buried in the Salem United Summerstown Cemetery.

I am convinced that one of the Floras in the Summerstown Cemetery is the sister of Peter the shoemaker and that Flora was married to John Grant, UEL also buried in that cemetery. I understand that this John Grant, UEL (died in 1806) buried next to Flora Grant (died in 1821) and friend of John Cameron, UEL also buried in the cemetery is the father of my Peter Grant 1798-1850 who is buried in lot 129 in the cemetery.

I know that there was an Archibald that received a patent on the front of Charlottenburg, but it was much earlier than your Archibald. Do you know the father of your Peter Grant married to Jane Murchison?

Barb Gressel

Posted: 22 May 2012 11:05PM GMT
I don't know the Parents of the Peter Grant who married Jane Murchison. Census information shows children Duncan, John Colbourne, Archibald, Murdoch, Peter, Elizabeth Anne,
and Margaret A. Peter and the Children were listed as Roman Catholic and Jane was Presbyterian. Archibald is buried at Summerstown with his wife Elizabeth McDonald. Jane Murchison was buried at Salem in 1894
-

1851 Census Charlottenburg
Peter Grant 52 Roman Catholic born Canada
Jane Grant 45 Kirk of Scotland born Canada
Duncan Grant 16 Roman Catholic
J Colborne Grant 13 Roman Catholic
Archibald Grant 11
Murdoch Grant 4
Peter Grant 7
Elizabeth A Grant 5
Margaret A Grant 17
-
1861 Census Charlottenburg
Peter Grant 66
Janet Grant 52
Archibald 19
Eliza Anne 13

1871 Census Charlottenburg:
Grant Murdoch 28
Elizabeth 23
John Colbran 32
Archibald 28
Peter 25
Janet Grant -mother, widow, age 64 Census taken May 4th by Walter Colquhoun
--
ONTARIO DEATH REGISTRATION #036691:
Grant, Archibald, age 76 years, widower,
died May 1, 1918 in Cornwall, Ontario
Occupation Gentleman
Born Summerstown
Buried Summerstown
Parents Peter Grant and Janet Murchison
Name of informant: Janet Grant, Cornwall
Cause of death Cardiac Incompetence
Dr R Nichol
-- Colleen
--

Posted: 23 May 2012 2:03AM GMT
Hi Colleen,
I have seen this family. My ancestor, Peter Grant was born in 1798 but died Feb 10, 1850. His wife, Ellen Wright, was pregnant at the time. She lived on the West 1/2 of Lot 16 of the first concession for many years. Their house was next door to the Salem United Church. Peter and Ellen's son, James Wright Grant, was an Elder in the church and was part of the community.

I can't seem to connect them to any specific family yet. It could be Archibald, yet my Peter was a Presbyterian and it seems unlikely that his father would be Roman Catholic. I just don't know yet. :)

Barb

Posted: 25 May 2012 12:20AM GMT
I found these Death records and thought they might help someone:
ONTARIO DEATH REGISTRATION #031500
Name: Peter Grant
Died: January 23, 1923 Cornwall, Stormont (General Hospital)
Cause of Death: Exhaustion, Arteriosclerosis
Racial Origin: Scotish
Age 73
Born Lancaster Township
Name of Father: John Grant
Birthplace of Father: Summerstown
Maiden Name of Mother: Elizabeth McPherson
Birthplace of Mother: Lancaster Township
Name of Informant: William D Chisholm of Williamstown, Nephew
Buried Lancaster January 25, 1923
Dr. C. J. Hamilton
--

ONTARIO DEATH REGISTRATION #029673
Margaret Grant
Farmers wife
Died February 19, 1912 age 77 years, W half lot 18, 2nd Concession, Charlottenburg
Father: Peter Grant born Charlottenburg
Mother: Janet Murchison born Charlottenburg
Certified by E J Robinson and Archie McGillis
--

Colleen

Posted: 25 May 2012 1:10AM GMT
Thank you so much for your post. Peter Grant, in your post, son of John Grant and Elizabeth McPherson, IS related. This John is the brother of my Peter Grant 1798-1850. John's middle initial is B and he is buried in the Lancaster by the Lake Cemetery. It is a sad statement that he died of exhaustion and heart disease. I understand that dairy farming is not an easy life.

I have seen the Chisholm name on many wills and documents. I believe that there is a definite tie between these two families.

Thank you again for your post!
Barb

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 4:52AM GMT
Yippee! I have found my John Grant! He is John Ban Grant living on the East 1/2 of Lot 10 on the First Concession. I found him in the Upper Canada Land Petitions. All of the children petitioned for land too and when they did, they noted their ages. The ages matched (not being more than a year off). That lot was deeded to him at no cost. Crown to Peter Grant, Peter to Duncan Grant, Duncan to John Grant. I think that this Peter may be John's father with Duncan being his brother.

Barb
per page

Find a board about a specific topic