Search for content in message boards

Ancestors of Sarah H Grover

Ancestors of Sarah H Grover

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 12:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Grover Avery Averill
I am looking for the parents of Sarah H. Grover. She was born 3 Apr 1786 in Parker's Island (near Georgetown), Sagadahoc, Maine. She married Israel Averill, Jr., who was born 6 Jan 1790 in Sheepscot, Lincoln, Maine.

Sarah also went by Sally as I have found on her marriage record and on the Averill Project website.

I have been very unsuccessful looking on Ancestry, FamilySearch, and Rootsweb.

Sarah and Israel were parents of:
Seth, Julia, Jane, Drusilla, Israel, Mark, Martha, and Clarissa.

I did post this on another board, but I am just learning how to navigate Ancestry boards and it is difficult for me.

Thank you for any help or direction you can provide me.

Re: Ancestors of Sarah H Grover

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I’m not related to any member of this family.

This is your problem -

Facts you should know about the early census records –

All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

Re: Ancestors of Sarah H Grover

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 9:09AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: GROVER, AVERILL
Name: Israel Averill Junior
Spouse: Sally Grover
Marriage Date: 19 Apr 1810
Registration Place: Hallowell, Kennebec

+
Name: Israel Averill
Marriage Date: 19 Apr 1810
County: Hall
State: ME

Name: Israel A. Jr. Averill
Marriage Date: 19 Apr 1819
County: Hall
State: ME

Historically, Maine was a part of the state of Massachusetts until 1820, when it became the twenty-third state in the Union. This database is a collection of marriage records from various towns in Maine, covering the time period prior to 1875. Currently, this collection includes Belfast (Waldo County), Hallowell (Kennebec County), and Pittsdon (Kennebec County), with periodic updates to come in the future. Researchers may find names of both the bride and groom, the date of the marriage, and the place of the marriage.
The town of Hallowell was established in 1771 as part of Kennebec County. The records from the town in this database span from 1748 to 1875.

Original data: Hallowell, Kennebec County, Maine Marriages, 1748-1875. Town records located in Hallowell, Maine or Family History Library microfilm #0010934. The records for 1748 through 1813 were extracted at the Maine State Library.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic