Search for content in message boards

Henry, Jacob & John Baughman

Henry, Jacob & John Baughman

Connie McCorkindale (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2002 4:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Several families came to Kentucky in 1782 including Henry Baughman. They were attacked by Indians and several were killed. Henry Baughman was killed. His brothers, Jacob and John Baughman had made a previous trip into Kentucky in 1777 surveying. Those that were with them was Benjamin Logan, Daniel Boone and others. John and Jacob were killed at Boonesborough (Clark County), Kentucky in 1779. Henry, as Jacob's heir had his brother's papers (Jacobs) on his person when he was killed at Crab Orchard, Lincoln County, KY. This is how the mistake was made in Kentucky history that says Jacob Baughman was killed by Indians at Crab Orchard. By this time, Jacob had been dead for almost 3 years. In Fayette County (Lexington), Kentucky a very long drawn-out court case ensued.

Re: Henry, Jacob & John Baughman

Posted: 6 Apr 2002 1:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2002 10:51PM GMT
Surnames: Baughman
Who are the parents of Henry, Jacob, and John Baughman? And where were they from? My Baughmans first settled in York County, Pennsylvania before some moved to the Baltimore County, Maryland area while others moved west into Ohio.

Connie McCorkindale (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2002 4:43PM GMT
Jacob Baughman, born March 22, 1695/96 in Schottikin County, Zurich, Switzerland. Died before 1782 in Greenbrier County, on Greenbrier River, Virginia (presently West Virginia). Married Margaretha Schwizigler (several spellings) in Switzerland. She died October 17, 1782 in Crab Orchard, Kentucky. Jacob was original land owner on Hawksbill River, Augusta Co., VA (Land Grant Book 40, pg. 471) Children of Jacob & Margaretha:

Jacob Baughman b. Sept. 28, 1721; died between 1782 - 1811 in Illinois; married Anna Christine Van Arnethal about 1750 in Botetourt Co., VA. Died Fulton Co., Illinois

Hans Ulrich Baughman b. 7/26/1723; died between 1782 - 1813 in South Carolina; married Margaret Geiger after 1739

Heinrich (Henry) Baughman b. Jan. 13, 1725/26; d. between 1782-1816 in Illinois; married Anna Maria Link in 1746 Pennsylvania. He was buried in Fulton County, Cuba, Illinois

Soloman (Samuel) born August 26, 1729; d. Sept. 15, 1840 in Sullivan Co., Marshall, Tenn. Married Rachael Owen Jan. 13, 1763 in Pennsylvania.

Rachael Susannah Baughman b. August 24, 1732; d. 1807 Greenbrier County, VA (now W. Va.) (while visiting). Married Valentine Cook between 1746-1751 in York or Berks Co., PA.

Margaretha Elizabeth Baughman, B. April 11, 1734; M. Jonathan Ferrill After 1750; d. Crab Orchard - killed by Indians

Joachim (Joseph) Baughman b. 6/30/1737;

Hans Conrad Baughman b. 7/10/1740; d. between 1782-1830 in KY or PA

Re: Henry, Jacob & John Baughman Slaves

Posted: 3 May 2002 10:16PM GMT
Hello. I am helping a friend research her family history. She is a descendant from Baughman slaves. Her grandparents were third cousins from Lincoln & Boyle counties who lived in Crab Orchard. Their last names were Baughman and McPherson. (And their grandparents were slaves.) Since my friend's black/slave family history is tied up with the white Baughman family history, I would appreciate information concerning the Baughman slave records. Some of the descendants were of mixed blood, so there might be more of a connection between some of the white and black Baughmans/McPhersons than just a master/slave relationship. Can anyone help me?

Penny North (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2002 3:05AM GMT
I have record of a Jacob Baughman (1748 - 1809) and Anna Hunsaker (1750-1788) as having 3 sons named John, Jacob, and Henry. Jacob Sr was born in Shenandoah Valley, Va and Anna is from Lancaster County, Pa

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Baughman and Wooley
I have Henry Baughman b 1750 in Shenandoah Co, VA, as marrying Mary Wooley. I was wanting the names of their children. Do you have them?

I found a message stating that her second husband, William Hamilton, adopted her two daughters, Rebecca and Jane G., in Lincoln Co, KY. Jane was born 3/23/1795. I would like to know if this is valid.

Finally, I have a reference from Lincoln County marriages:
Nancy Baughman married Alexander Gilbrath(sp) 16 Dec 1794.

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 11:37PM GMT
Henry Baughman & Mary Whooley
Their children:
Nancy, Tricia, Jacob, John, Henry, II; Mary

Mary Whooley Baughman & William Hamilton
Their Children:
Rebecca, Thomas, William, Jr, Jane G.

Norma Ooley Herman

Posted: 23 Mar 2007 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton, Green, Gilbrath
Hi, Norma. Thank you so much for responding!! The reason I am wanting this information is that my ggg grandfather and grandmother are Samuel Ross Green and Jane G. Hamilton. I haven't been able to find anything on Jane G. Hamilton except her birthday, marriage, and death dates. I found another genealogy saying that her middle name is Galbreth which is why I am curious about Alexander Gilbrath and Nancy Baughman. I was curious where Galbreth came from. Could you write me at jcyrus@chaska.net?

Posted: 10 Feb 2010 4:50AM GMT
I am researching William Hamilton who married Henry Baughman's widow after he was killed near Crab Orchard. I know William was born in 1757 but I don't know where. There is a gravestone in the cemetery that was on Henry's property that reads "In Memory of William Hamilton". The death date is in 1827. If you have any information would you please share it with me? Thanks so much. Carolyn Hamilton Mayo

Re: Henry, Jacob & John Baughman Slaves

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 1:45AM GMT
hi
can you respond to me directly at

grandypace@aol.com

I have been researching the Baughman family of Lincoln County KY for sometime. Henry Baughman who died about 1863 had a son, Hamilton Baughman who inherited the plantation - and I have found that he fathered at least 5 children by 3 different slave women he owned.

Gather more detailed info from your friend such as names and approximate dates and I will see what I have.

Randy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions