Search for content in message boards

William Morris of Kanawha WV

William Morris of Kanawha WV

Glory (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2001 2:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
About My Morris family, William the Pioneer Morris of WV---
William Morris and Elizabeth Stepps, and their children, who settled what is now the Kanawha Valley in West Virginia.
William and Elizabeth were married January 1, 1746 in what is now Greenbrier County, WV. The family served the country well, starting with the Revolutionary War through the present wars. They were involved in every aspect of the settling of the valley and with the beginnings of Charleston, WV, along with the governments of states their descendents moved to later on.
At Cedar Grove---
Virginia's Chapel in Cedar Grove, WV, at the mouth of Kelly's Creek, site of Fort Morris. The church was built by William Tompkins for his daughter Virginia as a graduation gift. It was said to have been built over the graves of family members. The slaves who built the church have a small cemetary in the back. There is a monument to William Senior in the front and to Major Billy on the wall. There are a few family members stones still in the church yard. When constructing the bridge and road that run in front of the church, the tunnels from Fort Morris were found that lead to the river, with underground springs, bullet molds, etc. Cedar Grove was once called the Boat Yards, because the Morris family manufactured boats for people going West.

Re: William Morris of Kanawha WV

Anne Lieberman (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2001 10:16PM GMT
Surnames: Morris, Byrd, James, Ashley, High, Sparks
I also descend from William and Elizabeth Morris, through their son, Henry Morris m. Mary Byrd, then
Mary Polly Morris m. Jesse James 1803
Deborah D. James m. John W. Ashley 1841
Jesse Lewis Ashley m. Mary Jane High 1869
Deborah Ashley m. Edward Sparks 1911, my grandparents

Tonya (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2002 2:41PM GMT
I, also, descnd fron WILLIAM & ELIZABETH. Through there son Joshua. And am interested in learning more about his brothers and sisters families. Any information you are willing to sharing is gladly appreciated. Tonya

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 3:39AM GMT
And I too am part of this line.
Amazing to realize we are all over.

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 4:20AM GMT
Does anyone know if this line has ever had any DNA testing? I have not been able to trace my Morris line beyond Culpeper County - 1700s and would be very interested to see if there is a connection.

Betty Morris Byers

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 8:47PM GMT
No, or at least I don't.
Because William Morris came over without his parent's consent, it is believed their names and the rest of the ancestory is lost. But, who knows...

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 10:31PM GMT
Could I ask about your family in Culpepper? I have a Robert Moffet Morris (1823-1865) from Culpepper, Va. and there has been some DNA testing and I am in this line along with about 9 others. He was married to Lucy Craig and Mary Elizabeth Herron. Are you aware of the Morris DNA Website? Claudia

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 3:21AM GMT
Hi Claudia, I am Betty Morris Byers; both my brother, Jerry and I are on the Morris DNA website. His DNA matches Danny Jones (we are I1a) Wish I could claim a match to you, but haven't found any so far.
Regards, Betty

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 2:07PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2012 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: Redmond, Redmon, Gallihugh, Morris, Herron, Gagen
Thanks for the reply Betty. I can prove connections with the DNA without being able to connect the dots on paper but still trying. Claudia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic