Search for content in message boards

cherokee heritage??????

cherokee heritage??????

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 8:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Oct 2006 6:21PM GMT
Surnames: BROOKS/PANNELL
Hi~Supposedly, my BROOKS family ancestors[they are on my paternal grandmother's side] have either full-blood Cherokee or 1/2.

I am from Augusta Co. Virginia and so far I know that there is a Lucinda, Mary, Charles Brooks in my family history....at least i am 90% sure :D and just by looking at all of my dad,aunts, uncles and cousins etc. on this side, there is 100% probability this is true~the indian/cheroikee feature are very prominent. I am have dark eyes, hair and complexion too. In seperate censuses found at "Valley of the Shadow" website, they are listed [cir.1860/1870] and are described as "mulatto" Other surnames possibly associated are Pannell/Fisher/Patterson/ and Durham. Sooooo.....if anybody could help me it would be great!!!!Thanks~Suzanne

Re: cherokee heritage??????

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 9:12PM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2005 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks
Im hoping to connect with your VA Brooks'. I have a Moses Brooks born in VA. I do not have named of his parents. That is my next piece in the puzzle.

Posted: 12 Jun 2005 5:51AM GMT
Surnames: Brooks, Carter, Craig
I always thought our darkest br eyes, dk straight hair and very olive skin was out of the English mix. Then, I studied Melungeons which is a tri-racial blend and always inc Indian and white (with maybe spanish) After 7 gens, it is not recognized. It was called malotto in census and I think we are Indian. In mid 1800s it was illegal to live in VA and be thus so it is very hard to get info. Check into melungeon.com for help, Keep in touch with sharoncl@comcast.net.

Posted: 13 Jun 2005 12:15PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2006 12:08PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks, Coffman, Felty, Russell, Riggs, Cole, Thomas, Moore, Rogers, Bayless
My wife's ancestors are also Cherokee and is very hard to find any thing on them. Malatto also means someone that had a child that the parents were black and white. The MELUGEONS. I know that isn't the right spelling for the those Indians. They were also from South Carolina and some moved into the Tennessee Valley. Good luck hope you find what you are looking for. I am also looking at the Russell's that are in my wifes family that married the Coffman's.
DonSmith05@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions