Search for content in message boards

Jackson A Smith

Jackson A Smith

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 1:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, I am looking for any information about Jackson A Smiths' family. Here is the info I currently have:

Jackson Smith was married to Harriet Len Swallow
His death certificate says he was born Feb 28 1859 in Illinois and died April 2 1928. He was laid to rest at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati, OH.

His father was Fred Smith also born in Illinois. His mother was Margaret Kingel also born in Illinois.

I cannot find any info on his parents. Can you help?

Re: Jackson A Smith

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: Smith Hepler Kingel
think you MAY be looking for Frederick Smith & Margaret Magdalena Hepler

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 1:25PM GMT
Are you related? I have the names Fred Smith and Margaret Kingel from Jackson A Smith's DC.

I will look for Margaret Magdalena Helper.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 7:37PM GMT
I looked into Margaret Magdalena Helper being my 3rd great grandma and she is not. So now back to square one....

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 4:56PM GMT
It has been awhile since this post -- have you found any more? There is a marriage record for Jackson Smith and Hattie Swallow...other records pop up on Ancestry, and it seems she was born in Indiana. Let me know if you need more help.

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 5:19PM GMT
Thank you so much for you response. I have seen the marriage record, and I have seen census records for 1900, 1910 and 1920.

I have conflicting birthplaces and wedding dates for him.

I think I found him in 1880 in a prison in Michigan City, Indiana. I have contacted the IN State Archives and am awaiting a response.

I cannot find anything on his parents. Would like to go back as far as I can. I have recently found a cousin of my father that I would like to share this with.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 5:52PM GMT
That would explain why I couldn't find him in 1880...bet you're right. Nothing promising turns up in IL, so prob a mistake. It's amazing how many people don't know where their parents were born or even their mother's maiden name.

I found the 1860 census that shows the Fred/Margaret parents mentioned in another post. With all the uncertainty, do you feel it's definitely the wrong one? With names like Fred Smith and Margaret Kingel, I was already thinking of a German background. The age for Jackson in that 1860 lines up better with a birth year of 1854 (like the 1900 census) than 1859.

You've probably checked - there are records on familysesarch for some of Jackson and Hattie's children -- errors/inconsistencies there too, as if the family just didn't talk about names and dates much.

Sorry I can't help more -- good luck!

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 6:04PM GMT
I had another post and someone suggested I look at Frederick Smith and Margaret Magdalena Helper. They had a son named Jackson, born about the same time. I contacted a the owner of that tree, and that Jackson married a Susan Travis. They died in KS (I think), not Cincinnati, OH.

I wish I had answers... But another time another place. If you think of anything please let me know. Thanks...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions